Thread: Question regarding Health care for poor Nicaraguans

TRN Lifetime Member
    Blog Entries

Default Question regarding Health care for poor Nicaraguans

Howdy. I apologize for my ignorance, I know there are some good hospitals here for people with insurance and $$$, but what about for the Nicas that are poor,and don't have insurance.....More along the lines of a Mother expecting a child? Wil she have to pay $$$ or is it funded by the Gov't. And if this child has any health issues, does the government pay for that? Or is it a sad case of sorry, not our problem.

As well do mothers get free pre-baby--and after baby wellness checks? Govt provide any additional $$$ for food for the baby if parents don't make enough $$$. Thanks
    Last edited by Gringo Canuck; 12-10-2013 at 03:09 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Question regarding Health care for poor Nicaraguans

Yes, "free" healthcare. The wait may kill you though. For normal stuff like pregnancy I have never heard a problem. I know one neighbor that it took over 2 years and dozens of Dr visits to finally get a "free" Cat Scan", but once they got the scan they got an excellent consultation and a lifetime of problems were figured out. One neighbor is currently waiting for a Gal Bladder surgery and it will be "free" only cost is the 3+ months of pain endured during the wait.

Family is usually responsible for feeding and minding the patient when in the hospital and any thing other than basic drugs will probably have to be purchased.

We have some good Doctors even here on the Island, they just don't have much to work with, empty or missing oxygen tanks have been a problem, no medicine, etc. I have used the hospital here and for stuff like stitches or Dengue, or Flu they are fine, and they deliver plenty of babies.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

You can also pay cash if you want to, to private practitioners, and it's cheap in gringo terms. Not bad prices for middle class Nicas, but the "dirt poor" would have a hard time paying cash. Think U$20 for what would cost U$100 or more in the USA.

TRN Lifetime Member
    Blog Entries

Many Thanks. I was more concerned with the poor--people that have no insurance, and I think I have the picture. TY.

Virtually no body here has insurance, only govmint and NGO and big corporations pay for employee coverage. If the Iniser policy my wife had is typical, you have the added inconvenience of paying cash, submitting receipts, and waiting for reimbursements.

The best new thing is INSS, something along the lines of a payroll tax national insurance plan. If they stick to it it will someday be a big player in the field. Right now it is mostly government agencies and big companies that pay into it. Small companies and employees tend to dodge it as best they can because of the cost.

In Esteli, and I assume elsewhere, there is a Casa Materna that does female and baby medical care. It is a part of the semi-free system but in a diiferent building than the hospital and neighborhood clinics.

In Esteli, and I assume elsewjhere, the Catholic church has a discount clinic called Caritas. It also has a deal to provide discounted lab work at one of the better labs in town.

And , there are a ton of private doctors and clinics and hospitals of varying quality from Dr. Megele to excellent.

Netnet, everyone in Nic, rich or poor, foreign or native, has no-qualifying access to semi-free medical care, if you don`t die first or lose interest and can afford the medicines, etc., anf the facility has the capicity to do what you need done. Don`t expect frills like having an oxygen sensor on your finger or seeing your heat rate on a monitor. Foreign aid groups also often have services.

My guestimation is that by 3rd world standards Nic is fairly well off in this area.

TRN Lifetime Member
    Blog Entries

We pay our workers INSS (cook/gardner) and I know by law all workers are suppose to be covered--Employer paying a certain % and the employee a bit as well.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am now in the INSS system, it costs about 11% of my gross earnings added to the Nica IRS what ever they call it. Any way in my pay scale a total of 21% is deducted for the both contributions.

I have no idea what the Company matches to this...

The insurance is only for ME and any child I have under the age of 12 years old, it covers no one else in my household...

I have been told I can go and have the rest of my family added but I have not done so as yet.. Been just to Blasted busy and I see lines there all the time for some reason or another.. I haven't used it as yet....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...