Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Pig Ever

Blog Entries

Default Re: Best Pig Ever

Tom,there are listings for those Everglades tomatoes on the South Florida Craigslist farm/garden section every so often.

Boy I like to eat rabbit and want some but no way they could run free (not long anyway) last week or 2 there are 1/2 dz new dogs wandering around our area, have asked everyone near me and no one knows nothing about them, course once they "evaporate" every one will be looking their show dogs.

I am growing some "sorta" wild tomatoes, I always buy them in the Granada market and they are ugly, little bigger than a Cherry Tomato, have 3 plants that have somehow survived the past month, last week was a foot of rain and constant hard wind, so they are sturdy, got 3 tomatoes the other day off one and if they ever see sun they might perk up some. Thing is they are easy to grow, but they sale at a fraction of the price to what Nicaraguans consider tomatoes (roma/plum type).
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Not much premium market here (yet), people want cheap, taste is an afterthought.

Melons grow well on this side but it is rare to get an exceptional one, I usually get a few a year that I am happy with the rest are usually sub par. I don't spend much time on them, especially if it is raining, lot of work and either fungus gets them or they rot from too much rain, when conditions are good I will baby them some.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Kevin,

The Everglades Tomatoes look like the answer.

Just ordered 35 seeds and will bring them down.

If anyone else wants some...let me know.
    Last edited by Little Corn Tom; 12-17-2013 at 10:24 PM.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

just diggin' it Outstanding in the Dirt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

kwah2249 said he would like some of those same tomato seeds too if there are enough.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    Kevin,

The Everglades Tomatoes look like the answer.

Just ordered 35 seeds and will bring them down.

If anyone else wants some...let me know.
    Think it was the first year I gardened here on my place I had some seeds that ended up being like these wild tomatoes, had so many seeds and plants that year and so much else was going on with construction and such that I was not keeping many gardening notes. Anyway they sprawled out as mentioned and I got lots of tomatoes from them, they did great until the rains started up, then the problems began, they were sprawled out all over the ground so in constant contact with the wet soil, fungus is a big problem here during the rains.

The next batch I planted I built a "table trellis" to support them about a foot off the ground, let air circulate under them and that helped a good deal.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

OD, this thread http://www.TheRealNicaragua.com/vb/f...2&referrerid=4 shows some pics of how my garden looked, now it is just a Pelibuey pasture, once the rains cease I guess I will try and get it back in shape. Hundreds of other pics scattered around the site as well.

The raised rows help in the rainy months and my idea is that I will eventually set up drip irrigation for the dry times. I never could get the drainage right so I kept building then tearing down and reconfiguring the rows. now the garden is in a state that I will be starting from scratch but the soil is so much better than when I started 6 years ago, tons and tons of organic material have been added to the soil. I believe I finally (after watching the water for 6 years) have the drainage figured out, it will take me 2-3 months to rebuild it even with a helper or 2.

The garden is 100' x 100' I am going to try and get 1/3 of it in raised rows this coming year, the rest I will plant in soybeans, corn, sourgham, stuff like that just to have something growing, I can interplant melons or pumpkin (ayote) amongst the corn and sourgham.
    Ernie K Doe

just diggin' it Outstanding in the Dirt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well... you'll just have to add me to the long list of people who admire your garden and your gardening skills in the extreme. You and your helper(s) have put a lot of creative thinking and untold hours into that piece of land.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

How in the world did your pic's stay on here when all of mine went to the Netherlands when Jonh updates this site yearly?
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12