Thread: No Black-Eyed Peas

Blog Entries

Default No Black-Eyed Peas

For the 1st time in years I have no fresh Black-Eyed Peas para manana. Gotta do what you gotta do, do have a # of Camelia White Beans (and a black magic marker). Corned a few pig feet and shanks a few weeks back when I butchered. Just started the fire, going to fry down 2 of those feet and shanks, Bring them down in some of the farm raised lard, then make a stock with them that may take all night. Let the beans soak all night. Come morning the goodness will begin.

About Noon will time to start the Cornbread.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Default Re: No Black-Eyed Peas

Sounds like some good country cooking there. Post some pics!

And Happy New Year to everyone!

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kwah2249 View Post
    And Happy New Year to everyone!
    Yes it is Happy New Year to all....

BTW Jonh, the Seven Seas works just fine, Thanks...

And Cookshoe don't feel all alone without the Black Eyed Susan's... I don't have any either to go with the BBQ'd chicken, Tater salad, Mickeyrouney and cheese, and the home made Creamed Corn in a butter gravy....

Here on the DAC we just have to make out the best we can under the circumstances....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Just spent the day in North by God Carolina and had lunch on Cape Fear.

The waitress described the special which included black eyed peas and shrimp and sausage. I remembered Kevin's lack thereof and immediately ordered the special. It was great.

Happy New Year!
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

We had beef loin, roasted vegetables, mashed potatoes, and homemade key lime pie.

My Wife fixed up collard greens with hog jowl black eyed peas corn bread ham pecan pie and home made coconut cake. Can yall tell my wife is a Southern girl from the country.

Shelley does her pecan pie in a cast iron fry pan with no Karo syrup (don't know the significance of this, but it tastes great)!

Have to start trying the corn bread,, my bread is great but I need some variety.

Feels like a better year already,, but it's early

Nice thing about Condega, it's not that well-off, everyone shot off their fireworks early and it's quiet now. Palí is empty,,

I've ben trying to buy some calves or yearlings, have a lot of great pasture and it keeps raining up in the hills. On the flat people will run out of pasture pretty quickly, and the cows will start to lose weight. I have enough water to irrigate quite a bit of pasture through the summer. . .. I've like to try finishing a beef off like they do in the US. We brought down some New Yorks, I want that flavor and tenderness without the chore of hauling a freezer down.

Most of the Nica beef I get has the taste and consistency of old shoes (maybe that's what they have been selling me).

I brought down an incubator, want to do my own free range chicken too. . . . might even do a pig if I could find one like in Green Acres . . .

Everyone really needs money now, should be a good time to buy some good stuff, but the Nicaraguan thinking is:

I really need a lot of money right now after Christmas and New Years, so I am going to ask more money for my stock than it is actually worth, hoping some dumb Gringo comes by and buys it.

The trick is, not to antagonize the neighbors, while getting the price you want. Luckily beef on the hoof is a more perishable commodity, especially with diminishing rain, so you're not faced with the interminable wait you might have trying to buy a piece of property.

just diggin' it Outstanding in the Dirt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great information KW. Seems like there are a lot of things which are new to me, that I want to remenber

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by georgiabulldog View Post
    My Wife fixed up collard greens with hog jowl black eyed peas corn bread ham pecan pie and home made coconut cake. Can yall tell my wife is a Southern girl from the country.
    Uuuuu, that meal would make a puppy pull a Freight Train...

I have not had a mess of collards is so long I think I have forgotten what they do taste like.

I tried growing some here but they would get up just so big and not make it....

And KWP that "Jiffy Mix" Cornbread ain't half bad if ya evah find some to try.....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Going to be another New Years with out Black-Eyed Peas but not too sad about it. I got gifted a good supply of seeds last month and have Black-Eyes in the ground, should be ready in 60 days or so. They and the interplanted Okra are coming up fine, a 50' row of them. Got some Beets, Green Beans (Bush and Pole varieties), and radish seeds in. Need to get some of the Collards seed started, probably this week. Lots of Jalapeno, been harvesting them a month or so.

Have spent most all year focusing on Trees and managed to get a few in the Ground, having a little free time here at the end of the year and playing Garden a little, get some Food growing.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Brought me some of 'em seed back as well on my walk-about, but haven't had time to put 'em in the ground as yet.

Gone have to settle for Lentels and lamb (pork).

I guess it don't matter with a year round growing season long as I can water them and put some fish guts under each and every hill of them.