Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Matagalpa

Blog Entries

Default Re: Matagalpa

Ah, I see. "Parka" sounds like something Bill Bly would be wearing today.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    Ah, I see. "Parka" sounds like something Bill Bly would be wearing today.

Why would I do that...

Actually I am wearing a fleece jacket tith a faux wool inside.. So far OK until last night. Had to wait at the Grey hound to drop off the Daughter for College.. I could feel the cold then.. -17 now Time to get the thick coat I guess...

Looking at pulling the trigger on like this on ebay in the next day or two...

http://www.furhatworld.com/faux-fur-...ck-p-2020.html

We have a Mech Eng at work.. Eugene is his Name, very Russian..

He had a Fuzzy Russian hat on, just about to head out between buildings..

Co-worker asks him "That looks like a warm hat , did you you bring it over from Russia? "

Eugene - (Very thick Russian accent) "No...Hat.. Made in China... Bought at Costco"
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

LOL, I haven't noticed those in our Costco.

Yep! Walk around all the time like you are 20 minutes late to an ass-kicking contest. You won`t win you any personality contests, but it will scare off some of the low-level creeps. They prefer to rob young chicks, anyway, because they don`t fight back or call the cops. Don`t play with cell phones in public or carry them on your belt, get off the strrets when the normal people get off the streets, and ALWAYS be ready to FIGHT, FLEE, OR FLOW.

Life here is like being back in the L.A, ghetto--the good black working people are hiding in their houses behind burglar bars just like you.

Outside of the tourist areas, I don`t think the thieves are particularly looking for foreigners, they like easy marks like chicas or country bumpkins.

The worst taxi drivers in Nic are the ones waiting at the airport and international bus stations. Stay in the station a few minutes while the wolf pack chews up the sheep, then walk past them. Look for a middle aged taxista who is not jumping up and down and go directly to him and ask his price for your destination, ``directo`` if you have luggage and don`t want him to stop for other passengers.

The last I heard the rate, always negotiable, from the airport to town was $10 bucks per person, less if you walk accross the street and talk to the cabbies by the hotel. rates from the Subasta (on the panam by the airport) to town like near metrocentro by day are about 80 cords for the first person, and 100 to 120 for 2 people. Some of the hotels and hospedages have shuttle services, free or per person.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    Yep! Walk around all the time like you are 20 minutes late to an ass-kicking contest. You won`t win you any personality contests, but it will scare off some of the low-level creeps. They prefer to rob young chicks, anyway, because they don`t fight back or call the cops. Don`t play with cell phones in public or carry them on your belt, get off the strrets when the normal people get off the streets, and ALWAYS be ready to FIGHT, FLEE, OR FLOW.

Life here is like being back in the L.A, ghetto--the good black working people are hiding in their houses behind burglar bars just like you.

Outside of the tourist areas, I don`t think the thieves are particularly looking for foreigners, they like easy marks like chicas or country bumpkins.
    I have a "make eye contact with anyone who looks like a pickpocket and smile knowingly" rule. It says, "I made you." We get them in town for the festivals.

In NYC, guys robbed guys because guys had more money and female victims were wildly unpredictable.

Esteli failed the "are women out alone on the street after sunset until around 8 p.m." rule. I've heard other reports (one of a less than competent pickpocket trying his luck with a large group of gringos). It's a visit during the day place for me. I think being on the Pan Am highway is a negative. Here isn't; Matagalpa isn't.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12