Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Matagalpa

Blog Entries

Default Re: Matagalpa

Ah, I see. "Parka" sounds like something Bill Bly would be wearing today.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    Ah, I see. "Parka" sounds like something Bill Bly would be wearing today.

Why would I do that...

Actually I am wearing a fleece jacket tith a faux wool inside.. So far OK until last night. Had to wait at the Grey hound to drop off the Daughter for College.. I could feel the cold then.. -17 now Time to get the thick coat I guess...

Looking at pulling the trigger on like this on ebay in the next day or two...

http://www.furhatworld.com/faux-fur-...ck-p-2020.html

We have a Mech Eng at work.. Eugene is his Name, very Russian..

He had a Fuzzy Russian hat on, just about to head out between buildings..

Co-worker asks him "That looks like a warm hat , did you you bring it over from Russia? "

Eugene - (Very thick Russian accent) "No...Hat.. Made in China... Bought at Costco"
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

LOL, I haven't noticed those in our Costco.

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yep! Walk around all the time like you are 20 minutes late to an ass-kicking contest. You won`t win you any personality contests, but it will scare off some of the low-level creeps. They prefer to rob young chicks, anyway, because they don`t fight back or call the cops. Don`t play with cell phones in public or carry them on your belt, get off the strrets when the normal people get off the streets, and ALWAYS be ready to FIGHT, FLEE, OR FLOW.

Life here is like being back in the L.A, ghetto--the good black working people are hiding in their houses behind burglar bars just like you.

Outside of the tourist areas, I don`t think the thieves are particularly looking for foreigners, they like easy marks like chicas or country bumpkins.

Blog Entries

The worst taxi drivers in Nic are the ones waiting at the airport and international bus stations. Stay in the station a few minutes while the wolf pack chews up the sheep, then walk past them. Look for a middle aged taxista who is not jumping up and down and go directly to him and ask his price for your destination, ``directo`` if you have luggage and don`t want him to stop for other passengers.

The last I heard the rate, always negotiable, from the airport to town was $10 bucks per person, less if you walk accross the street and talk to the cabbies by the hotel. rates from the Subasta (on the panam by the airport) to town like near metrocentro by day are about 80 cords for the first person, and 100 to 120 for 2 people. Some of the hotels and hospedages have shuttle services, free or per person.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    Yep! Walk around all the time like you are 20 minutes late to an ass-kicking contest. You won`t win you any personality contests, but it will scare off some of the low-level creeps. They prefer to rob young chicks, anyway, because they don`t fight back or call the cops. Don`t play with cell phones in public or carry them on your belt, get off the strrets when the normal people get off the streets, and ALWAYS be ready to FIGHT, FLEE, OR FLOW.

Life here is like being back in the L.A, ghetto--the good black working people are hiding in their houses behind burglar bars just like you.

Outside of the tourist areas, I don`t think the thieves are particularly looking for foreigners, they like easy marks like chicas or country bumpkins.
    I have a "make eye contact with anyone who looks like a pickpocket and smile knowingly" rule. It says, "I made you." We get them in town for the festivals.

In NYC, guys robbed guys because guys had more money and female victims were wildly unpredictable.

Esteli failed the "are women out alone on the street after sunset until around 8 p.m." rule. I've heard other reports (one of a less than competent pickpocket trying his luck with a large group of gringos). It's a visit during the day place for me. I think being on the Pan Am highway is a negative. Here isn't; Matagalpa isn't.

replying the years old post, I know.

The North, in my experience, has been much safer than the south, mainly MGA, Granada, certain areas in Rivas. People generally make more money because of the agro industry, and its reflected in how many for personal use vehicles are on the road. I've never had any issues in Matagalpa, Esteli, or Jinotega, and I lived in the first two for a period of time.

I will say this though, Esteli does have a dark side, stuff I won't get into.

Jinotega was the safest I have ever felt in Nicaragua.

I've been violently assaulted twice and both were in Granada. The Granadino populace is seriously messed up in the head.

Blog Entries

Funny thing you should mention it, Granada is the only place I have been gratuitously insulted for walking down the street. Some young turd sitting in from of a church. I don't stop to chat with idiots, helps avoid a lot of problems. Watch your back, watch your front and keep moving.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    I don't stop to chat with idiots, helps avoid a lot of problems. Watch your back, watch your front and keep moving.
    That is sage advice.

My two muggings happened in Managua in the middle of the night (barrios Boer and Mirna Urgarte--in front of the old hospital Velez Paiz), and I was attacked by a drugged out man with a machete down a trail from El Mirador de Catarina on a weekend. I agree that most of the danger to pedestrians is concentrated in and around the main tourist cities/spots (and Managua of course). The one exception to this rule (in my experience) is the island of Ometepe. I've stayed there on several occasions for many months; I was able to walk around in the middle of the night in Moyogalpa without feeling like I needed to keep my guard up. This is rare. Likewise, the time that I spent up in the mountains (Condega area) was some of the safest that I've felt in Nicaragua.
    Soy el chele mono.

Blog Entries

An AM/PM market opened up in Esteli where the Burgher King used to be. I was not happy to see it, I bet a dollar to a donut hole that the night time customers are mostly hookers and gang bangers.

Hookers in Esteli ? Do they smell like onions?😄

Quote Originally Posted by bikingo View Post
    Hookers in Esteli ? Do they smell like onions?
    Wouldn't that be Sebaco? I don't remember Esteli being a big onion town.
    Soy el chele mono.

Blog Entries

"Safest country in Central America" if you only count the officially reported crimes.

Blog Entries

Ah, Sebaco, the land of carrots and traffic jams. If you want to cure a friend with "smiling faces syndrome" stop by the gas station in Sebaco late at night. Or the Panam in Esteli in the area near Casa Pellas.

The crops in Esteli are cigars and basic grains and some tomatoes and such.

We had an old guy who lived in Corinto and even though he had been there for sixty years everyone called him el ceboyero cause he came from Esteli. Might be a dated generalization

i was riding a local bus into Diriamba. i was in the back standing up. two guys got on and walked back towards me. one ask if i spoke spanish. i just shook my head no. then the other ask, and all i understood was no pistola? they laughed. by this time we are in the city a block or two. they both turn to me and push me up against the back of the bus and are kinda brushing me down. i am thinking i am about to get robbed. so i yell look and i point towards the front of the bus. as the turn and look i shove them forward and out the back of the bus i went. i hit the ground running and after a block i look back and i see the two guys jumping. after that i just cut back and forth till i was sure that i was not being followed and i went home. kinda funny now.
    my little girl

Blog Entries

Thanx for the heads up. It sounds like they were searching you for a pistol to steal or maybe to verify you did not have a pistol so they could rob you. Either way, the fact that they followed you after being seen by you and others on the bus is a bad omen.
    We live in rough times where the people fear and distrust the police as much as the criminals.
    When I was first here I occasionally saw merchants or old gringos with a pistol hanging out of their pocket or a sheath knife on their belt. The merchants were legal on their own property. Now people are maintaining a lower profile for fear.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12