Thread: Rio Coco travel

Default Rio Coco travel

Im not sure if this is the right forum to post this on.
    But i want to travel the Rio Coco. Specifically to Asang. No reason, other than from before i moved to Nicaragua i wanted to go there. It seems about as far away from everything as anywhere else in the world. Of course, as with everything thats off the tourist path there is little to no information about it.
    Ive lived here in Nicaragua for over a year now, im young and adventurous, and have no desire to charter a tour or travel in anything luxurious or that stresses comfort. Its about the only part ive never been to. Ive been up to Jalapa, and Wiwili, and ive been over to the carribean coast, but ive never gone along the bosawas in the north.

Has anyone here traveled that part, and if so how? Ive found maybe 3 accounts online of people who did this, none very recent, one of which paid over 1000 bucks to charter a private boat, and another was working with an NGo that provided a guide and places to stay so they were never too uncomfortable.
    I have more time than money as the saying goes, and im well used to travel in nicaragua, many times just showing up and asking around until something comes up.
    Ive debated packrafting with my wife, but as i know nothing of the area and cant find much of anything (location of rapids, existence of falls, etc), id rather wait to get some more specific info or direction. Also, i dont have a working knowledge of Mayangna or Miskito, and im not sure of the prevalence of Spanish (which i can speak decently) once i get that far out

Do i need to start from the west and travel downriver to Waspan? or is it more standard to go to waspan and go up river past the indiginous villages? Chances of showing up and being able to essentially ask my way down/up river with a boat thats already going and i can chip in with my part? Is there hiking or any paths between villages or is all travel done by boat?
    anyone with any info would be appreciated!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Rio Coco travel

Let me ask around. Something is up in Waspam because Costena is not flying there right now. John Wayne is closer and may have some info.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

You might try to get in contact with "Mupitara" (Dud Erminger). Google "Mupitara"...I do not have an current email for him.

Maybe on Facebook
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Dud is almost impossible to contact now days unless you got the Hotline.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Philip Hildebrand a friend traveled all of that with his trusty side kick "Herman"

He did several 1500 word stories about it on the "Nica Times" owned by John Wiss who also owns the internet service in Nicaragua IBW.

Herman is now in port and is an exceptional guide and I would assume is available.. They did it on a shoestring if you will, nothing fancy at all. Herman speaks ALL of the languages known in the area as well as excellent Creole English.

They went to places where the natives seeing a White man was only a legend, many heard about them from the past and Phil was the first one they had actually seen in our generation to many of them.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Dud is almost impossible to contact now days unless you got the Hotline.
    Hotline = Satphone?

Is he in Houston or back in country?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

In Country..

Only about 6-12 Sat phones on the Coast I know where a few are, one is in this shack. I can call you, anytime....
    Ernie K Doe

John Wayne - how do i get in touch with herman? cause that story sounds pretty awesome.
    just go to puerto cabezas and ask around? or anywhere in specific?
    It seems like its better to go east and start from there and go upstream then, as opposed to starting over on the pacific side?

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vinyljunkie77003 View Post
    John Wayne - how do i get in touch with herman? cause that story sounds pretty awesome.
    just go to puerto cabezas and ask around? or anywhere in specific?
    It seems like its better to go east and start from there and go upstream then, as opposed to starting over on the pacific side?
    That is what they did, from the coast inland on their journey. I can get Herman's Cell # if you want. I don't have it handy.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...