Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High priced coffee

Default High priced coffee

http://www.elnuevodiario.com.ni/2007...cionales/50608

One of Nicaragua's coffee vendors has the 2nd highest price coffee in the world.

At U$39.05 dollars per pound or U$3,900 dollars per quintal. This coffee was produced by Marcio Peralta, of La Finca “Las Golondrinas”.

1rst highest price coffee went to Brazil at U$49.95 dollars a pound or U$4,900 dollars per quintal.

Blog Entries

Default Congratulations ....I think.

Or were they exploiting the masses?

Gosh, I am getting confused as to who the bad guys are any more.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Active TRN Member

Default Re: Congratulations ....I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom
    Or were they exploiting the masses?

Gosh, I am getting confused as to who the bad guys are any more.
    It's like fashion - this is haute couture coffee - we'll never taste it - the general public get the .50 a lb coffee with the bitter taste of mass undervaluation
    Mr Valentine's dead but it won't slow him down... he's determined to stay on his feet... and he bangs on the table and orders a round... and he pays with the gold in his teeth

Blog Entries

There's so little "good" coffee available to the general consumer. Paying $8+ a pound certainly doesn't guarantee quality.

Isn't that because there's so little "good" coffee, period? Rolls Royce doesn't make as many cars as Hyundai, either.

Active TRN Member

Default More than enough good coffee . . .

Quote Originally Posted by John
    There's so little "good" coffee available to the general consumer. Paying $8+ a pound certainly doesn't guarantee quality.

Isn't that because there's so little "good" coffee, period? Rolls Royce doesn't make as many cars as Hyundai, either.
    There's more than enough good coffee . . . for the folks who can tell the difference but, the business uses the surplus of sh*t coffee to keep the price of good coffee down. It'd be like Mercedes having to accept less for a vehicle just because GM can out produce them. It's like comparing Apples to Dells - leveraging one down against the other makes no sense from a quality point of view but little coops or even big coops aren't in a position to bargain - so the coffee producers of the developing world are screwed for the time being - there's so few people to explain the situation to northern consumers - and most of the consumers don't give a sh*t so long as it's cheap.
    Mr Valentine's dead but it won't slow him down... he's determined to stay on his feet... and he bangs on the table and orders a round... and he pays with the gold in his teeth

Blog Entries

Default he

That's part of the problem, coffee is so "fashionable" that everyone wants it and doesn't care if it's good, only that people see them walking around with a $4 styrofoam cup with a hip label on it.

As you said, there's enough good coffee for people who care about good coffee, but it's still hard to find. Fortunately we have a supplier in the family.

Tea

Did you ever go to one of those fancy Tea stores? little bags of tea leafs and twigs that sell for U$30 dollars!

Of course there is always 100 Lipton Tea bags for U$2

Active TRN Member

Default Re: good to have a family supply . . .

That's part of the problem, coffee is so "fashionable" that everyone wants it and doesn't care if it's good, only that people see them walking around with a $4 styrofoam cup with a hip label on it.

As you said, there's enough good coffee for people who care about good coffee, but it's still hard to find. Fortunately we have a supplier in the family.
    I have twenty pounds of Casa Silas Cafe de Nicaragua left. when it's gone it's gone. Food retailing is a lousy way to make a buck, if you have a conscience. For all it's flavours, that Starbuck's is served way too hot to be enjoyable . . . and that cost per cup (especially when you realize what they pay, and how miserly they are) is surreal. The emperor's new beverage.

actually maybe thats a business idea, start packaging "Nicaraguan Tea mixes" and sell them in the US. You can get a bunch of them from the pulperias for pennies already packaged.

Active TRN Member

Default those round bags ; )

Quote Originally Posted by 3 frijoles
    Tea

Did you ever go to one of those fancy Tea stores? little bags of tea leafs and twigs that sell for U$30 dollars!

Of course there is always 100 Lipton Tea bags for U$2
    those round bags first appeared in design circles as an April Fool's joke - "none of the flavour gets trapped in the corners" - about 8 years before finding their way to stores - now the joke's on us. ; )

Blog Entries

Lipton tea isn't too bad, if it hasn't sat in a drawer for a year. Not great, but not horrible. Good for the money I guess. Tea is disasterously trendy, too.

My new idea to get rich is making popsicles from coffee and tea. Java Pops.

Lipton tea isn't too bad, if it hasn't sat in a drawer for a year. Not great, but not horrible. Good for the money I guess. Tea is disasterously trendy, too.

My new idea to get rich is making popsicles from coffee and tea. Java Pops.
    Sounds like a hit, but I have to admit I don't see many adults sucking on popsicles in public, I guess you will have to play with the packaging of the product to make it trendy.

Blog Entries

No, no, no; get the kids started early. Get 'em hooked on caffeine at age three.

I dunno; I think adults would eat them. Package it appropriately, as you say. "Age appropriate."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mr_valentine

I have twenty pounds of Casa Silas Cafe de Nicaragua left. when it's gone it's gone. Food retailing is a lousy way to make a buck, if you have a conscience. For all it's flavours, that Starbuck's is served way too hot to be enjoyable . . . and that cost per cup (especially when you realize what they pay, and how miserly they are) is surreal. The emperor's new beverage.
    Ya know ...

I do not really know if Starbucks is miserly or if their coffee tastes good or not. All I know is I will be d*mned if I will pay that kind of price for a lousy (or good) cup of coffee. However, if any other person with $5.00 to spend on coffee buys it then that is OK by me. It is their sweat that is paying for it and their decision. If enough people do not want to pay the $5.00, then Starbucks can either lower their prices or go out of business. Either way, it is the choice of the individual, not Starbucks.

Ok then ...... it was my understanding that it was Vietnam that was flooding the market with cheap coffee and was keeping coffee prices in the toilet. Isn't Vietnam a communist country?

Blog Entries

I've been told the same thing about Vietnamese junk coffee. And yes, they're commies. Power to the (exploited and oppressed) people.

Active TRN Member

Quote Originally Posted by mr_valentine

As you said, there's enough good coffee for people who care about good coffee, but it's still hard to find. *Fortunately we have a supplier in the family.
    Ya know ...

I do not really know if Starbucks is miserly or if their coffee tastes good or not. *All I know is I will be d*mned if I will pay that kind of price for a lousy (or good) cup of coffee. *However, if any other person with $5.00 to spend on coffee buys it then that is OK by me. *It is their sweat that is paying for it and their decision. *If enough people do not want to pay the $5.00, then Starbucks can either lower their prices or go out of business. *Either way, it is the choice of the individual, not Starbucks.

Ok then ...... it was my understanding that it was Vietnam that was flooding the market with cheap coffee and was keeping coffee prices in the toilet. *Isn't Vietnam a communist country?
    Absolutely, $5 is ridiculous and it is their choice but, an only an informed consumer can make an informed choice. That's not Starbuck's job to do, and others are doing it (Oxfam et al) - all I'm saying is that the public needs to know what their buying and a few people are trying to spread that word. Vietnam is part of the problem with sh•t robusto low altitude grown coffee that the big four coffee buyers encouraged them to plant thus lowering the price of quality coffee, depriving others of a living wage (Matagalpans, Ethiopians . . .), and flooding the market with sh•t coffee - flavoured (french vanilla, irish cream) to hide the fact that it sucked. Marketing trumps quality in an unequal world. You can call Vietnam communist if you like but, Marx wouldn't recognize it.

Blog Entries

Default Gosh

"Vietnam is part of the problem with sh•t robusto low altitude grown coffee that the big four coffee buyers encouraged them to plant thus lowering the price of quality coffee, depriving others of a living wage."

I ask this in all sincerity ....do you know this to be a FACT? The big four coffee buyers ENCOURAGED them....

Again in all sincerity .... are you hooked into the coffee business? Do you know for a FACT that "they" are trying to deprive others of a living wage?

Darn it all, why do I engage in these discussions at all? I think it must be the low altitude coffee.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default itude

Low altitude coffee?
    I am and have been drinking for years Bad attitude coffee...

Have you guys tried this here coffee TORO or the Coffee ORO? it is made and marketed localy and I cannot stand more than 3 cups in the AM...

But Guys I have learned to cope with it, the first one gets a good dollop of #5 FDC and I mean to tell ya' what a burst of flavor.....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Default Is dollop

a Nica or NC measurement?

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

To tell the truth, I got that expression from John, but I know what it means, three fingers in a glass.

Just like the Brittish giving a "Rasher" of rum before the battle...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Active TRN Member

Default Re: Gosh

"Vietnam is part of the problem with sh•t robusto low altitude grown coffee that the big four coffee buyers encouraged them to plant thus lowering the price of quality coffee, depriving others of a living wage."

I ask this in all sincerity ....do you know this to be a FACT? The big four coffee buyers ENCOURAGED them....

Again in all sincerity .... are you hooked into the coffee business? Do you know for a FACT that "they" are trying to deprive others of a living wage?

Darn it all, why do I engage in these discussions at all? I think it must be the low altitude coffee.
    Well I didn't do a thesis on it but, it was in a report I read and two documentaries I saw. I don't think most business sets out to deprive anyone of anything but talk to a Mataglapan coffee grower about Vietnam. I sell coffee and have a great interest in it, that's the extent of being hooked into it. That report is on Oxfams site. I think it's called "Mugged"

OK, Mr. Valentine: are you arlington?

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Lipton tea isn't too bad, if it hasn't sat in a drawer for a year. Not great, but not horrible.
    Had some incredible tea in Costa Rica once. Make a real strong batch of sweet tea, fill blender with ice, a bit of tea and the juice of a lime or two. It's a frothy drink perfect for those hot days on the finca or swingin' in the hammock.

One could garnish with FDC I suppose :wink: .
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Blog Entries

I tried to make popsicles with sweet tea. Not too bad, look like tamarindo.

The Java Pops were much better.

Active TRN Member

Default certainly, I wasn't hiding or anything ; )

Quote Originally Posted by cmoore56
    OK, Mr. Valentine: are you arlington?
    certainly, I wasn't hiding or anything ; )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast