Thread: Availability of local pork lately...

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Default Availability of local pork lately...

Okay, y'all, I wanna hear folk's thoughts on the pork shortage going on lately. For the past 2 weeks, maybe a few days longer, I can't find local posta de cerdo in the Pali's. I usually buy about 30lbs at a time, which lets me cut off a few nice thick chunks for our smoked ham, then use the rest (once cleaned up) in our ground sausage. Jinotepe has always had what I needed. This past farmer's market cycle, I had to buy Stateside pork (coming in from Iowa, I think) from La Colonia in Granada (a 45 minutes drive). It's yucky, really white in color, not something I'm gonna use to make smoked hams, for sure!

So, who knows what's going on...and when will I get some pretty, local pork back in my Pali???
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Blog Entries

Default Re: Availability of local pork lately...

Daniel has sold every cow and pig in this Country to Venezuela in exchange for oil. Same with beans, we export most then have to import to eat, makes perfect sense.

I have seen the "Cow Boat" in Rama a few times. They are hauling pigs too now.

All that "free" shit had/has a price. Food from Nica is being shipped off to feed the hungry in Venezuela in exchange for the free gas/oil that is being sold at premium prices here.

This is going to be a problem,watch....
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Yes, Molina did a cartoon about it not long ago.

Blog Entries

Also Melissa, look at the Stateside pork good, usually it is out of date, if you see the packaging you will see that it was out dated in the States, no big deal if it was handled correctly but who knows how it was handled before it showed up here. I have bought it many times in MGA but have also seen the dates on the packaging and they were way out of date.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just talked to my woman about it...

Food prices a going crazy... If you don't get to the market early, no local beef or pork, by 10 AM meat markets are clean even of the soup bones.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

What does Gaston say?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Back in 97, several Nicaraguans (independent sources) expressed the opinion that the common man turned against Ortega because of the black sugar. They told me that Ortega sold the good sugar and that the people were left with what they called black (but I imagine to be "brown") sugar. These people could be wrong. My take-away from those conversations is that you can get away with a great deal in politics as long as you mess with the peoples' food.
    Soy el chele mono.

Blog Entries

Same with beans, during the "special times" people here only had Black Beans, try and serve them now, they will not eat them, they leave a bad taste in their mouth.

You are right, Daniel has made mistake screwing with the food. People here are extremely flexible but their stomachs are not.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    What does Gaston say?
    The other day Bob said Gaston was short on pigs, there ain't none. Imagine a Cruise ship converted to carry animals, that is what is docked at Rama every few weeks.
    Ernie K Doe

Quote Originally Posted by drlemcor View Post
    Back in 97, several Nicaraguans (independent sources) expressed the opinion that the common man turned against Ortega because of the black sugar. They told me that Ortega sold the good sugar and that the people were left with what they called black (but I imagine to be "brown") sugar. These people could be wrong. My take-away from those conversations is that you can get away with a great deal in politics as long as you mess with the peoples' food.
    That should be "as long as you DON'T mess with the peoples' food."
    Soy el chele mono.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by drlemcor View Post
    That should be "as long as you DON'T mess with the peoples' food."
    Don't screw with the food, that would be my advice to any leader.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

I love history and have spent years learning about it here, and when they say history repeats itself they are spot on for here. The same people that were starving 30 years ago will be starving again, the same people that got fat 30 years ago will get fatter, just a different spin on it.

Watch and see, the next few years will be interesting.
    Ernie K Doe

What Else

is going to Venezuela?

Glory days are over, Hugo didn't care about payment as long DO pushed a stick into the US eye from time to time. That no longer buys him anything.

Can DO retain personal power without the oil money handouts to his base? I'm getting kind of used to the guy, the devil you don't know could be worse.

Blog Entries

Going to be interesting to see what Venezuela does. Oil production keeps dropping due to no maintenance and no Oil Services company will go in without cash up front. Airlines are bailing out, no big deal as the rich have left and been buying up Miami for the past several years. The trickle down effect here is interesting, DO no longer has a big brother whispering in his ear, but he sold his soul (well to be honest he sold off everyone else's soul) to Venezuela.

Largest Country in Central America, Smallest Polulation, can't feed itself, cant blame that on Ronald Reagan.
    Last edited by cookshow; 03-19-2014 at 11:54 AM.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

I was in Pali Jinotega Tuesday and the only pork they had was pork shanks and the imported pork loin. The case was rather stark.

Blog Entries

I hear Cuba is in the same boat, suckling on the oil teet while starving.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have heard tell from the old ones, and I don't mean the old ones here either but makes no difference with human nature....

The most dangerous man in the world is an up standing moral man that cannot feed his family!
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Powerful words.

Blog Entries

The thing that always has me curious when I see the Cow Boat is who pays for the cows, Where is the $ coming from, truck after truck lines up to unload. No farmer/rancher in their right mind is putting a cow on that boat without being paid in advance. I wish I knew some people up that way to hear how it all works. Most these guys are cash only so is their some guy carrying around a sack of cordobas buying up cows?
    Ernie K Doe

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    The thing that always has me curious when I see the Cow Boat is who pays for the cows, Where is the $ coming from, truck after truck lines up to unload. No farmer/rancher in their right mind is putting a cow on that boat without being paid in advance. I wish I knew some people up that way to hear how it all works. Most these guys are cash only so is their some guy carrying around a sack of cordobas buying up cows?

Maybe a push by the Sandinistas to take some pressure off MiBurro? The endless food shortages (and the endless crime) are driving the Venezuelan dissent more than any political considerations. A full belly can tolerate a lot.

Blog Entries

Not taking pressure just off Maduro, DO is paying back his dead brother Chavez, part of the oil deal was to be paid in food, kinda silly for a Country that cannot feed itself to trade off it's food, but cheap oil is so sweet.
    Ernie K Doe

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    kinda silly for a Country that cannot feed itself to trade off it's food, but cheap oil is so profitable.
    Excellent points Cookshow, but let me FIFY.....

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Canada sold a Candu reactor to Romania in the 80's

The joke at the time is that it would be repaid with sheep..

Wiki

The Levee will break in the land of implants and oil.. Just depends on how long..

Maybe that is why Danny boy was so eager to take up with the Chinese..

For all he (Danny boy) is, he is not is stupid nor blind..

==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

I often find myself saying "17th time's a charm" when attempting to get things done, and it happened again today. There was some pork at the Palí in Jinotepe. Just a few pieces out in the case, but the fella told me he had more, and brought a 20+ lb chunk of pork in a red gabacha out of the freezer. Definitely a different supplier!

Real red meat (which I like), and so not cut right (which, well you guessed it). Can't complain!! Price is a few cords higher, up to 63.80 cords/lb. Normally, I would buy 30 lbs of vacuum-packed stuff that Palí usually carries, and process it at home into the nicest cuts for ham and the remainder for sausages. The 10lb chunk I bought is just a chunk, hacked off a pig, but it's gorgeous red meat so it's all gonna get the smoked ham treatment. I'll worry about how to put in on the slicer later!

With my spirits buoyed at the pork find, we decided to swing by the matadero municipal. It was quarter to 4pm, waaay late for anybody to be around, but I figured I could always talk to the guard. Gates were open to my surprise, and a guard and 2 young fellas were hanging out. I understood him to say he had no pigs now, then something about 3. My guess is they were waiting for the dueño (owner) to bring over some pigs at 3pm for an early morning butcher. Perfect timing!!

Much as I do hate the early trip for skins with fat back (we have to arrive no later than 4am), I am getting a wee bit excited to have the proper supplies back on the farm so I can get ready for the next farmer's market!
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."