Thread: The Ground be Shaking.

Blog Entries

Default The Ground be Shaking.

Plan to be in MGA in the next week and I am doing some serious thinking. Trying to visualize the places I stay and trying to figure out the quickest ways out and the best spots to sleep. Will probably be sleeping with my sneakers on and my exit kit tied to my waste. I no likey the ground to shake.

Have seen about every sort of Mother Natures Wrath but have somehow avoided Earthquakes. Used to work a lot in California and once people found out I was from Oklahoma one of the first questions was how can anyone live where there are tornadoes. Simple answer, I will take a Tornado over an Earthquake any day. Tornadoes are somewhat predictable they do not pop out of nowhere, we have "Fraidy Holes" (storm cellars) and when they are coming you get underground, you do not have that luxury with Earthquakes.

Then if Earthquakes are not enough there are reports saying the Seismic activity could trigger Volcanic activity, Good Grief.

The DAC is looking safer all the time.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Ground be Shaking.

Safest fault is an active fault.. A fault with no activity for 40, 60, 200 yrs are the _Real_ dangerous ones...

Hence the People in St. Louis should be most worried..

The Tohoku quake , for example , had no recorded activity on that specific fault line in reorded history and could probably be related to one written about in 860 something AD.

An active fault at least keeps building codes in check..
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Safest fault is an active fault.. A fault with no activity for 40, 60, 200 yrs are the _Real_ dangerous ones...

Hence the People in St. Louis should be most worried..
    Agree about St Louis, it will be a monster when it hits.

Guess MGA just had another one in the past few minutes.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

TRN Lifetime Member
    Blog Entries

It feels like the earth has been moving constantly! Lot of tired people today. I believe some slept outside!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    And Yosemite..... http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...s-9040073.html
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post

Guess MGA just had another one in the past few minutes.
    Have your animals been restless?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    I am not on the Island but talking to them daily. They are not feeling anything over there and I have not heard of anyone on the Mainland along the Coast feeling anything, maybe up JW's way.

My animals do go through "spells" now and then so I try to pay attention to any changes to try and figure out what triggers them. Coming weather changes do get them acting off, have been able to figure that out over the years.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

There are rumblings now (Sorry) of the volcanos awakening...

We may arrive to a "white" July this summer..

That would be a pain in the ash..

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

I've always heard animals will alert you, but we've never experienced that. Not sure why. The last few big tremors in the country, we have felt somewhat in our area (Santa Cruz) about 10 minutes North of Nandaime...but not a peep outa' the dogs, no restless ducks, neighbor's animals (all kinds, including the fella down the street with more than a dozen dogs) have all been quiet...hmmm?

Love your response, Billy!!!
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have not felt anthing at all...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

So Chilo has burned through 3 or 4 $5 cards in the past week..

SIL in Masaya - They are sleeping in the street far enough away from the building walls.

BIL in Santa Anna - They are sleeping in the street as well... Oddly Chilo told me that there is no damage in Santa Anna which is contrary to a AP report that "ACC" reposted on "Nica site brand B"

Although I suspect that AP got Achualinca(sp?) and Santa Anna mixed up in google maps.. They are close but description better suits Achualinca(s)

I have been through 3 - 5+ earth quakes in Japan.. But there a 5+ is not even enough to trip the train and subway interlocks.

You know in looking at all the panic and the local uproar I really find it odd that folks are so concerned about the big one coming and burying them alive. Most folks do not live in homes that would crush them, nor are there buildings and structures that would become mounds of tumbling ruble. What is alarming to me is there is not an emphasis on preparing for the aftermath of a big earthquake. In my opinion, that is where the grave danger would be.

First off the power and water grids would fail like a mammyfacker and would likely be out of commission for weeks. That would lead to serious upheaval and health issues. Small wounds would go septic very quickly, there would be a dire shortage of mundane medicines like insulin and other things and combined with general mayhem that would breed mass chaos. I have been in Mexico during both earthquakes, one larger one, and also hurricanes and tropical storms. One of the first things the government does, and it is one of the few things I have seen them be deadly serious about it, is force through an immediate "dry law". No more booze selling. In my opinion that should have been done in MGA this week. Of course we all know that this might have caused not only apocolypes but revolution and social unrest that would have made the Ukraine look like an unruly Fritanga that ran out of tajadas.

In reality, I think Nicaragua is very, very remiss as a country in preparing their citizens for the true and lasting effects of what a major natural disaster would be. They should have had brigades, maybe get some mileage out of the CPC's, going door to door and house to house making sure people stored boiled water and had canned foods. Also they should ensure at least 7 to 10 days of basic and commonly consumed medicines. Most of the pub I have seen has been about "solidaridad" and getting folks new houses and such. None of that is going to matter at all when a plague of screaming cheetah willy sheets runs through the land due to no water nor when all civility breaks down because there is no gallo pinto to be found. A large portion of Nica's have no more than a day or two of food stored up, and most of that is likely perishable to begin with.

I wonder if the government has mobile de-salinization plants they can plug into the lakes that are generator powered? Or if there are other contingencies in place, be they material or human, for dealing with sustaining a population for a few days before all the "ayuda" can be solidarity delivered and handed out? My 5+ years of being in Nicaragua lends me to believe that preparation is not a strong suit of this country or culture.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

And then poormouth for help...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

RVG, you hit the nail on the head. Preparedness for the aftermath should be first and foremost.

For several years I was following behind many of the largest Natural Disasters that hit in the States and few folks were prepared. Were it not for organizations like the Salvation Army I am not sure what many people would have done. The Salvation Army is pretty amazing and I had a hard time passing those red kettles without digging in my pockets. They show up at every disaster of any size, hand out sandwiches and water, offer all sorts of assistance, and depending on the disaster they used to have someone giving Tetnus shots.

I saw that the Government set up some tent hospitals so I guess maybe there is some planning but does the Government have a stockpile of meds, food, water, etc. Of Course I imagine a big part of any "Disaster Plan" here is that Daddy Yankee will have cargo planes full of supplies in route before the dust clears.

Stop Alcohol sales, Man you bump your head? These are trying times, if I have to sleep out in the yard I want to hit a few Tonas to make the mosquito bites itch less.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Looks like La Chamooka's data on the lake is somewhat accurate ..

This photo is from a fellow I follow on Flicker who states this shot is from Mateare with his Blackberry yesterday. Probably a good sized opening formed at the bottom of the lake and let in a damed big gulp of the lake with it.. Maybe a to close to the surface vein of lava to make the change in temperature. As all the geothermal plant activity shows, you do not need to go too deep to hit the heat..

Worse than not prepared. When the aid does show up it is also "mismanaged", as in "misappropriated". The way the last big hurricane in RAAN was handled is a good example of what will probably happen, but on a larger scale.

Be interesting to see what is going on with the lake. Would have to be a really big hole formed to drain that much surface volume. Could be the case and the water is now in contact with enough heat to start raising the temps. I'd think if the lava got closer to the surface there would be visible activity.

Maybe the tremors raised the lake up a bit. Supposedly long ago big ships used to be able to sail all the way up the river to the lake until there were large earth quakes.

Stop Alcohol sales, Man you bump your head? These are trying times, if I have to sleep out in the yard I want to hit a few Tonas to make the mosquito bites itch less.

You are so, so right and spot on.

Think about this, if you wanted to cause mayhem in Nicaragua all one would have to do is spread the rumor and or get the wheels turning that Comandante Daniel is putting in a "Ley Seca" until the earthquakes subside. I am telling you it would have been sheer pandemonium the week before Semana Santa.

Cookshow, I have been around a couple of gnarly hurricanes in Mexico and you can bet your sweet bippy they stopped the booze sales faster than cheetah with a hotfoot. I know in years past in many place in Mexico, where I spent a large portion of my life, disasters and mayhem did not mix well with cerveza and tequila at all. I talked with a mayor I knew years ago in one of the towns that was hit by a hurricane where we had a plant and then had the dry law put in, one of the main reasons they did it, or what he was told, was dehydration. Basically they feared, as a government, being able to help the population fast enough during a big mess.

In the aftermath of a mess and or problem folks tend to take a celebratory mood and or drown their sorrows, if they don't have drinking water a plenty it leads to health issues after the fact. You are absolutely right that there will not be a Red Cross or FEMA presence in Nicaragua for many days after a big disaster. Between the political wrangling and the logistics I would bet that it would take 4-6 days to start getting aid and help into this country. There is no huge Southern Command contingent in Panama anymore, the airbase in Honduras is not very big at all and anything the US Military does out of the US takes a lot of time. None of these other countries have the depth of supply or ability to really make a difference and given where the airport is here, along a big area of faults, if it were wiped out things would get mighty interesting mighty fast.

Honestly, Nicaragua is in a very precarious position unto something like a big earthquake or volcano. Just look at the number of hospital beds and medical facilities in the country, they are centered in Managua and there just aren't that many of them. God help a city like Leon or Chinandega if they were hammered.

Blog Entries

Right you are, RPG. They will have their hand out for Uncle Hugo to- oh never mind. For Grandpa Fidel- nope. Czar Vladimir can send toilet paper and food I guess.

Maybe sending all their food to Venezuela wasn't such a good idea after all.