Thread: SAP on your TV

Blog Entries

Default SAP on your TV

Maybe everyone else is up to speed on this and if so you can just ignore this post.

One day I was channel surfing on Claro basic cable when I saw this ad on TNT saying that it was offered in SAP. The gist of what I picked up is that many shows originally produced in English and are later dubbed in Spanish can actually be converted back to English with the use of the SAP feature that is offered on newer TVs. Sort of like on a full function dvd and a dvd player that gives you a choice of which language you want to view in. I just got a 32" Sony flatscreen with SAP and have found at least a dozen channels that for the previous several years I could access in only dubbed Spanish. Now History, AE, most all the Turner channels (TBS, TNT, etc) I can watch and hear in the original English. Often the commercials are still in Spanish and its overall application is quirky in a Nica sort of way, but overall, very cool and can expand the value of your Claro cable experience greatly if this sort of thing interests you. I have played with this feature on a few different tvs now and generally it is a channel by channel option you have to specify to receive in SAP.

That's about the extent of my knowledge on SAP. If anyone knows more about how it works, please add to the conversation.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: SAP on your TV

Supplementary Audio Programming... It is where a portion of the transmission bandwidth is dedicated to another audio stream.. Could be another language, could be described visual for the sight impaired, could be polka music... No Rules...

To Chilo it is called "Tu Culo" ... This is what I bellowed out every time Don Francisoco was quoted as "En Englace on CC3"... Now to be fair CC3 is actually a Closed captioning standard within the visual data stream (CC1 through 4 IIRC) but Chilo finds it funny...

**edit**-forgot to say the reason it was funny was that the CC3 feed had no English subtext in the close captioning..

Can you watch Fox and friends in SAP?? To me that would be hilarious...
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

No, there are no Fox Channels, at least where I am at in the Masaya area. They have been slowly eliminating channels that are English only. We were in "high cotton" for awhile getting ABC, NBC, and CBS from Miami. Don't know what imbecile they assign to making these channel decisions. There is plenty of unused channel space between 2 and 99, yet they replaced NBC with what is obviously some local student project channel. The latest casualty was CBS (60 Minutes!!!) which they replaced with...The Nicaraguan Catholic Church Channel!!! Call me paranoid, but seeing as about everything in this country is politics, I bet 60 Minutes ran something negative about El Commadante and they did a "we will show you" by replacing it with a non-stop stream of Catholicism.

(Basturds!!!!)

Blog Entries

upon further review there are a couple of Fox channels: a "Fox Life" and Fox Sports

Blog Entries

Typically you do not "turn on" or "turn off" SAP at the provider.. It is typically either there to decode or not there to decode.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_audio_program

Quote Originally Posted by ejb3 View Post
    No, there are no Fox Channels, at least where I am at in the Masaya area. They have been slowly eliminating channels that are English only. We were in "high cotton" for awhile getting ABC, NBC, and CBS from Miami. Don't know what imbecile they assign to making these channel decisions. There is plenty of unused channel space between 2 and 99, yet they replaced NBC with what is obviously some local student project channel. The latest casualty was CBS (60 Minutes!!!) which they replaced with...The Nicaraguan Catholic Church Channel!!! Call me paranoid, but seeing as about everything in this country is politics, I bet 60 Minutes ran something negative about El Commadante and they did a "we will show you" by replacing it with a non-stop stream of Catholicism.

(Basturds!!!!)

I´ve been looking for a 3 meter dish that I can afford and close by. Those break down into sections, I´ll tell the aduana guys that they are concrete forms.

It´s just not a screaming priority right now, draining the swamp, then I´ll strart killing the alligators.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    I´ve been looking for a 3 meter dish that I can afford and close by. Those break down into sections, I´ll tell the aduana guys that they are concrete forms.
    3M That is for C- band, it will work for KU but is tricky - If you are looking to just get SKY or Direct on KU band a 39" offset dish may do just fine ...

Tell em its a Texas sized bird feeder
    Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 04-25-2014 at 04:57 PM.

We used a 2 meter dish in honduras (Trujillo) for both Hughes and DIRECTV. Both worked well...except for the usual problems with satellite internet, fair use policy, slow, no VoIP. We´re considerably south and west of the DIRECTV footprint, so whether a 2 M would work or not, don´t know.The owner of site B had a HughesNet going with a 2 M dish, but was not happy with the system. Rain would be a problema in Nica with a weak signal.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ejb3 View Post

(Basturds!!!!)
    I noticed that we have lost CBS recently, I guess NBC too, still have ABC, the network channels here are out of New York City. We have pretty good TV here, HBO, TNT, TBS, USA, ABC, CNN, Cartoon Network, 1 of the ESPN channels, Spike, Discovery, all those and a few others in English and then around 30 or so channels in Spanish. Service is approx $13 a month so it is easy to justify, especially during the rainy months.

60 minutes was the reason I noticed CBS was cone.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

We got our CBS back the last week or so ago, about to watch 60 Minutes.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

I have a good selection of US channels, but on a resent trip to the US I noticed that there were programming differences. the History channel in the US has a lot of history, but here it is loaded to storage wars/pawn shop programs. And turner network is the olny one that has cowboy movies.