Thread: Greenhorns and life at Sea

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Greenhorns and life at Sea

Greenhorns, I guess is an expression from the Cowboy Days, meaning those without experiance in the field.

This young man was no exception.

Here we are delivering 500 gallons of fuel to a partner boat, so that they could finish their trip of diving Conch for the last two days of the season.

As you can see here the boats bumpers were pushed to the water with a load of ice, drinking water, and fuel to make the trip.

This is my oldest son Gerold Wayne, and as you can see the Carribbean Sea at this time is like a pond...

Ain't nature a beautiful thing?

It did breeze up a bit from time to time but was not anything to be conserned about.

I don't want to be known as streching the truth or being careless with it, but some of the fish we caught were, shall I say BIG?

Then again some were "Normal" size....

But one of the Greenhorns broke the law of Saltwater Sailors, by sneeking a 5 gallon bucket of water to take a bath in.

Fresh Water, Agua Dulce, is one of the most protected things aboard ship at sea. each man is allotted half gallon of it for personal use daily, and that can be changed according to curcomstances.

this was the punishment for the first offence.

This young man could not sleep for the remander of the trip for fear of being painted with Anti crossive paint, Shaving Cream, (I provided this) and whatever else,(Fish in hand) could be added to the joke.

We all had a barrel of fish, oops, fun, it was brutal, but fun.....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

I have seen worse on my old ship for a guy that didn't want to bathe. We tied him up by his feet and hung him from the bouy crane and pounded him with a Fire Hose while scrubbing him with long reaching soap brushes.

Blog Entries

Default Ahhh..

The good old days....
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Thanks for the pix, John!!!
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

John Wayne, have you heard anything about these guys from the Pacific side, like SJDS and Masachapa among others, transferring their equipment and boats to the Atlantic Coast?

Supposedly the fishing is decreasing on the Pacific side, enough for many of them to bring their boats around the Panama Canal (up to U$10,000 dollars in fees for the transfer) and set up in Bluefields.

http://www.elnuevodiario.com.ni/2007...mentales/50661

Blog Entries

I understand more and more of the guy's from that side are showing up over here due to the effort being made on the pacific side, the resource not being able to support the amount of people doing it.

the fin fishery here has been for generations underutilized being no infrastructure to support fin fishing (no real Ice production) It takes about 3 pounds of Ice per pound of fish landed to care for it properly just on the vessel end, if you are expecting export quality fish. Plus land and air transportation to get it to the market on time.

The old timers here think they know fishing here but they do not, so a lot of investors in the area are incourageing those from that side who do know what to do with a hook and line to come over here.

They will be welcomed in Bluefields, but I think up here it will be quite a different matter.

Fact is, unless one is willing to "Blend" here, all outsiders, Colombians, Mexicans, Koreans, Spanards from the Pacific, Japanese, Chinese from San Fransisco, and Gringos have had to leave for being unable to deal with the Miskito Indians.

For this reason I have started any "New Project" with local GreenHorns and trained them in the proper way of catching, killing, and handeling a product that requires much care.

it is not easy to teach an old dog new tricks, but take a young man that knows nothing and get your hands dirty and make an example for them to see and they will surely repeat the process.

Pretty simple I think...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Thanks for the info. Makes a lot of sense.

Default good fishin

MMmmmm lookin good.... catch me some clams John

Blog Entries

Come on over, and we'll grub up a few...

Default Re: good fishin

Quote Originally Posted by portuguesanica
    MMmmmm lookin good.... catch me some clams John
    "Catch"?? Yeah, those little buggers sure do run fast!!

Default licenses revoked

An article in today's La Prensa says fishing licenses are being revoked on the [dangerous] Atlantic Coast.

JPJW, what's going on?

Blog Entries

I have not seen the article, but let me make a few comments on the knowalage I have from being here these some 16 years, on this touchy subject.

Hondurans, Jamacians, and Colombians for years during the Civil war days and after, when the country was not able to defend it's borders, utlized the resources of the area completely without reguard to method of capture of the marine resources, to the taking of juviniles of the resources.

One Honduran was fined many times for smuggling undersized lobsters into the USA and was eventually givin jail time. the most of the product exported out of Honduras was pirated (stolen)from here.

The Moskitia Area includes RAAN and parts of Honduras, and it is going to be a diffuicult thing about the border disputes between the two countries and its indigenious peoples, to most of them the Rio Coco is just a river NOT defining lines of countries.

Nicas and Hondurans as well as Ticos are very jelous of one another, and the borders, even tho they many years ago were the same peoples, gives them just another thing to drive a wedge between them..

Miskitos from Honduras that have moved here and set up fishing operations leagaly without a doubt are going to suffer, simply because the resource will not stand the current effort of fishing.

It is said thru the Grapevine that because of the border dispute between Honduras and Nicaragua the nationals of Honduras will be expelled for security reasons (Boy shit is going to hit the Fan here deviding families like this)

Which taking all into conseration this new Leftist defence Pact that Hugo and company has dreamed up will affect us USA expats also....IMHO

Default good looking son....

you got there! takes after mama? did you take just one of your boys? you got 2, right?
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Blog Entries

Yes I have two, but I take them one at a time on trips....

I try and use the commerical fishing trips as a carrot and stick to get my boys to pay better attention in classes so to get a good education and not to have to do as I, my Father, Grandfather and further back have done for a living...

It is brutal, backbreaking, Dangerious work that often requires being at sea 180, to 250 days a year.

Gerold I have hope for, but Johnny, can't wait to go again, Johnny's trip is titled "This is a test and only a test" on the fishing forum.

Default good thinking....

i don't know what to use as the carrot and stick w/ my little ones.
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/