Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Expats and Expats

Blog Entries

Default Re: Expats and Expats

Not sure how LC Tom confused the Sage and Bard, but he was busy writing.

Say what you will about the sweatshops, I think they are an asset. People here for the most part have no concept of a job, showing up at a certain time and leaving at a certain time, doing a certain amount of work. You have to crawl before you can walk. I have known many Costenas that got cruise ship jobs or call center jobs and are home not long after they left, they thought they would just work a little when they felt like it. Life is not so, especially if you are poor, you have to bend a little if you want to get ahead.

You will never hear any person who went from rags to riches say that they did not make sacrifices, you have to.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Oh meant to mention MagicBat. She was (may still be) in love with JW, when he told her she would be 3rd or 4th in the rotation it made her crazy, things went downhill quick.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

My apologies to both the Sage and the Bard.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Honest mistake..
    Ernie K Doe

RGV AG: When I live in Virginia, the county assistant manager loaned me a development manual. A factory pays better wages and messes up people's heads less than tourism or being a servant. One of my temp jobs was at one of the textile mills in Martinsville, and I saw that people were with their mates in those, that they basically had to get the work done with or without smiling and then went home. The pay was better than the pay in most tourism jobs, with less servility. I taught people who were working in the mills later, and some of their jobs paid better than the jobs they were training for (the for-profits lie about the pay they can get with the skills they're acquiring). I can't blame them if they wanted to work in cleaner offices, but one of my first assignments in a human development class was to have them ask local employers directly what they paid for the skills they were acquiring. I was eventually fired. I don't like seeing people who don't have that much strip-mined for what they do have, or put into perpetual debt that wipes out their gains.
    Mz. Brown:
    I always enjoy your posts on here, I find you may fit the bill as The Oracle of TRN. I know Martinsville, VA well. I used to do a lot of work with Tultex, now out of business, back in the day up there. I spent a lot of time in Galax, VA and some other places thereabouts as well. Did you know that the largest, in terms of capacity, Textile Mill at that time at least, in the Western Hemisphere was in Martinsville? The could knit, dye, and finish right at a million pounds of Jersey/Fleece in a day up there, a million. My initial start in the apparel business was somewhat in the US, but it as at the beginning of the end for the US apparel/textile industry, an industry that at one time employed more people than the automotive industry.

Part of the shuttering and or "left helpless" of the US apparel and textile industries was the fact that at the direct and middle management labor level it was predominantly occupied by women. Never would have an industry that employed that many men, as opposed to women, been hung out to dry like it was in the late 80's and then 90's. The historical significance of the Apparel/Textile industries in the US is huge, but it is gone now. It was a huge loss for poor southern and southwestern, a large portion Hispanic immigrants, women. But the profits of the retailers and the consumption and run up of real estate selling goods for higher margins was all worth it I guess.

In summation I found that by working in this industry, which in a perverted and masochistic way I like, I have been able to help people much more from the inside than from taking futile political stances against overwhelming global forces. That is what I could never quite get Jason to see, although I know he understood and likely believed it, as he was for the most part stuck on what I considered an unrealistic populous dogma.

If I had to assign character types to this forum I would definitely say that Mizbrown is the Oracle as what she relates is so well thought out and lucid, and in most cases darn well accurate. Cookshow is developing into a Caribbean William Faulkner with his social and cultural observations, which I enjoy immensely. JPJW to me represents The Court Jester with a touch Jerry Clower, may God bless that fine Mississippi boy, mixed in for good measure.

Blog Entries

Wait now, Magic Bat is not the same person as Santana. Santana (and her many other stage names) was in love with JPJW. Maybe Magic Bat was too, heck most women are, aren't they? Keeping Santana away from TRN is a vital function.

3 Frijoles has re-patriated, that's all I'm at liberty to disclose.

Thunderdial is pretty active on Farcebook, but apparently has no more ties to Nicaragua.

We've had other Canadians, like Thom the Land Mammal.

Others MIA are Jimmy Carter (I heard from him a couple weeks ago, he's alive), The South By God Carolina Wild man, James Cooper of Puerto Cabezas (hyperactive on Farcebook), and I'm sure there are many others whose names escape me at the moment.

But Daddy-Yo, you didn't answer the House SOB's question! "So tell us more about you and your life wherever it is."

Blog Entries

Santana, Magic Bat, you name them, JW made them crazy.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Some of the guys no longer here are still around, just not here much. I talk to Mr Yak often, saw Thom not long ago.
    Ernie K Doe

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Some of the guys no longer here are still around, just not here much. I talk to Mr Yak often, saw Thom not long ago.
    Yak was a Fazebook friend but he dropped me <shrug>

Marnica is one who has gone quiet as well...

Probably 3F replied to one of those CIA recruitment ads that play on Hulu
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    But Daddy-Yo, you didn't answer the House SOB's question! "So tell us more about you and your life wherever it is."
    Schucks, I thought I had gracefully dodged that . . . Now what is it y'all want to know? I mean, are you talking non-fiction, like a CV, resume or pre-obit? Or do you want to read something akin to the Southern chicken-fried steak & okra, bare-chested Harlequin Romance version of my life in the steamy tropics? Or the "Stranger in a Strange Land" sci-fi interpretation as to how I 'grok' Nicaragua & TRN?

I need guidance. But I'm out of time (at this cyber). Will tune in later. Be real, y'all.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    My apologies to both the Sage and the Bard.
    No worries. You didn't confuse me with the Bat.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    Schucks, I thought I had gracefully dodged that . . . Now what is it y'all want to know? I mean, are you talking non-fiction, like a CV, resume or pre-obit? Or do you want to read something akin to the Southern chicken-fried steak & okra, bare-chested Harlequin Romance version of my life in the steamy tropics? Or the "Stranger in a Strange Land" sci-fi interpretation as to how I 'grok' Nicaragua & TRN?

I need guidance. But I'm out of time (at this cyber). Will tune in later. Be real, y'all.
    Well, if your CV is too boring, give us your Walter Mitty version.

Blog Entries

Yeah, what happened to the textile business was awful -- and one of the problems with Martinsville was that the grandfathers were smart men (as was Cannon) and the grandchildren were not.

The post-Civil War Hairstons (a family that has had both black and white kin attending the family reunions since the 1960s) and similar families (I suspect my temp gig was at the company you're referencing) built the mills and their grandchildren sold them to people who shut them down. One of the real problems in Henry County (and not in Carrabarus County and Kannapolis) was that the local educators considered the mill kids basically not worth really working with ("we don't need to improve schools here -- all these people are going to do is become mill hands"). Kannapolis had more Moorehead Scholars (local NC college scholarship) than any other county in NC from what I heard. Cannon probably had a hand in that, too. The mills for those workers were an escape from tobacco tenancy as I suspect mills here would be an escape from temporary coffee cutting work.

Education in Henry County now isn't that stupid.

Most of my students were women, but their husbands were also working in the mill if they weren't working in construction or still back on the farm. I was hearing about what happened when management decided to cut down on supervisors -- often older women, black and white, who knew the jobs inside out -- and substituting work groups instead, not for the right reasons but to save money. My students were not impressed.

Some of my students were training their Mexican replacements.

Really important not to tell people what their lives were like, but to listen to them.

You know, now that I think about Magicbat, and I try not to, I was so perturbed when she appeared that I read her handle wrong, it should actually be Magneticbat. Man, I will never forget how offensive she was in such a short period of time.

MizBrown:
    I know Kannapolis well, more on this tomorrow when I have spell of time to put some thought to it. It sounds like you have had some interesting experiences in a part of the US that changed radically in a short period of time. I spent a lot of time in and around Stateville, Asheboro, and Fairmont, NC. Good people up there for the most part.

In bringing up some of the old, I saw that Howard Cox was not mentioned, boy he and El Doc tangled, fought, kissed and made up, and then broke up for good. Weren't they both Marines? I know Jason is.

Blog Entries

I thought of Howard, forgot to mention his name. He went offline about the time El Doc did.

Blog Entries

Howard is still around. Nice guy too.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Why did Howard leave?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Jason left, he had no one to argue with. Took the fun out of it.

Think he is just taking it easy.
    Ernie K Doe

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Life is dull as crap somethims when ya don't have anyone to fight with..

I guess that is the reason, or one of the reasons I and my Nica wife got back together..
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

I'm thinking a Nica Novia for these long stretches alone. It's not healthy . . . .

Then I'll have two people to fight with, my wife and my Nica GF. A giggle a minute, but I probably won't get anything done on the farm.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    I'm thinking a Nica Novia for these long stretches alone. It's not healthy . . . .

Then I'll have two people to fight with, my wife and my Nica GF. A giggle a minute, but I probably won't get anything done on the farm.
    I Fell into that burning Ring of Fire, I went down, down, down and the Flames rose Higher....

And it Burned, burned, burned... That Ring of Fire... That Ring of Fire...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    I Fell into that burning Ring of Fire, I went down, down, down and the Flames rose Higher....

And it Burned, burned, burned... That Ring of Fire... That Ring of Fire...

Here's the link to a story about another guy who had a similar idea: http://www.thebigclickmag.com/adulterer-bandsaw/

Jinotega?

"....He drove past the remains of an American development now running to cow pasture, the only sign that there had been great dreams there the sign to the place and the guard house, and went on up the mountains to see Maria. . . .

Did you just whip that out . . . just for me (as Steve Martin used to say)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpOGB4SkcM4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqtmXnQZ6Qk

or is it a take off on the Ken "what's his name of Mira Flor fame". As I remember, the girl shot him while he was sleeping; her family put her up to it in order to steal his stuff (which probably included the chainsaw, a highly desirable tool in the campo). Baby she was carrying died while she was in custody. I thought she only did two years . . .probably standard kill a gringo time.

http://www.nicaliving.com/node/9448

for newbies wanting the dirt.

Nice touch here:

" . . . The chair wiggled on its legs and he wondered if he should double the chairs, but decided simply to be cautious. . ."

You need to change the bandsaw (sierra sin fin) to chainsaw (motosierra). . . not a NIca thing, a bandsaw, and less functional. I probably have the only band saw this side of Esteli .. . ...they ARE used to cut up meat in packing houses. There was some discussion on NL as to whether it was a SKEEL saw, or a chain saw used to cut up Ken, but the term motosierra was used in the news reports, and the Nicaraguans usually use Skilsaw for the other.

A month's wages WAS pretty grosero . . and some PN is probably driving the truck around to this day. It's THEIR country, they make the rules -- which adds to the interest.
    Last edited by KeyWestPirate; 06-06-2014 at 06:43 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post

Reminded me... a number of years ago when I was learning some spanish from an older Cuban friend of mine (he often taught me phrases and then told me not to use them in polite company) we had a Venezuelan visitor at work. When my friend, Mario, told the visitor that I was trying to learn spanish, the visitor said something to which they both laughed. When I asked Mario what was said, he told me the visitor said to get a Latina girlfriend and I would learn spanish very quickly.

I bet my wife would not be impressed with my new-found language skills.
    "Find out what it is in life that you don't do well - and then don't do that thing." -The most Interesting Man in the World

Blog Entries

The language of love. I don't know what she said but I sure like that she said it...............
    Ernie K Doe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast