Thread: It's still time to Kill

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default It's still time to Kill

Now Cookshoe and I are the proud partner/owners in a CRAFTSMAN roto tiller.

The original engine BS, to it got a little tired and under the weather on Big Corn Island where somewhere or another he got it second or even third hand and used it till it quit.

On a lark I had communicated with him that I would like to find an old one that needed a little TLC and if he heard of one let me know.

I am quite handy in raising machines from the dead and low and behold he had one.

Well he shipped it to me via the Capt. D and I recieved it. I must admit it was rustier than a Crowbar.

The external metal was a sight, that that did protect the operator from slinging dust and dirt up in ones face was holier than I don't know what. But a little fiberglas over the mess sealed it back.

I had been contimplating on a diesel engine for it but after looking at the cost of repowering it, I decided not to and just bided my time.

Well a gasoline engine popped up secondo mono for a price I thought willing to take a chance on. It is 8 HP and a bit heaver in weight than the 5.5 on it originally.

I adaped it and had to put a little weight on the ass end of her to offset the forward extra weight.

But got her all freed up and what not and brought it home yesterday to "Field Test" it.

As it is still a bit "Dry Time" here I decided to put it in a patch or two that had gone to weeds and see what it would do...

THAT THING IS AN ANIMAL..

Now in my life time I have used several of the front tined rototillers and got my brains beat out with 'em in the process.

But this rear tined unit, WAY over powered kills the living crap out of surface grasses with the ease of what I have nevah seen before.

I just hope the drive train holds up for a spell but it is a MONSTER right now.

BTW I took some seeds that have been waiting for quite a spell and put 'em on soak to see if they will sprout. One of my neighbors said rains will really come end of the month, So I have time to kill what took over my garden spaces yet....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Default Re: It's still time to Kill

When I got a hold of the machine it was a mess. It is a hoss though, even when it was 5.5hp. I have plowed my 1/4 acre many times with it. Plow you some land and I will get some seeds up your way.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Wait for some more rain, then plow boy, still too dry here to plow.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

We had a little sprinkle of rain and the weeds greened up.

But I will get 'em "Graveyard Dead" with this Animal in a day or so to lay out in the sun and bake....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Maybe Thursday they will come up, I will see wht seeds I got around the house.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Maybe Thursday they will come up, I will see wht seeds I got around the house.

Blog Entries

Cleaning out the bodega a while back I found the piece that covers the belt and pulleys, I don't ever remember it being on there as we never had the right size belt and it was always throwing it. I always just used regular car belts but it will eat them up fairly often. I can get the proper belt for it from the States.

This machine has a long story behind it. Was bought used from a tool rental business in South Texas and hauled here by a Nicaraguan who had hauled ass when things got bad. He decided to come home to retire and build a hotel, he hauled the tiller down, never used it. When I started my gardening "project" years ago he told me to come see something he had, every nut and bolt was missing off it, this piece that piece. I got it pieced back together, used it a few months and when I left I returned it. Fast Forward a few years and I have the farm, I decide to go look the machine again. Every nut and bolt missing, more parts gone. Get it home and tinker with it and tinker with it some more, finally revived it.

That fella knows work, I plowed plenty with it.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Seed selection is sad right now, found you half dz packs of real new ones and a dz of questionable ones? You got anyplace to plant Corn? I got a pile of that treated seed I bought last year but it is still sealed, I can run a quick germination test on it if you have a spot to plant some. Sending some yellow Squash seeds, new and old.

I want to send up that piece for the machine and this crapped out pump to see if you can salvage anything off it. I brought some box cake and cookie mixes I will send up for the girls to bake. Will send that come along up, looked at it last week and looks like the one time it got used they cranked it too far, no big deal, just take some time.

You know the deal, cost the same to send a half bag as a full one, looking around how to fill the bag. You got Mangoes? We got.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Thanks, Yea we got mangoes coming out the ears...

I found a "B" belt that fits it and is working just fine. I spring loaded the idler pulley and I Dare it to sling off.

I got more work done on killing the weeds in 2 hours with it than a team of 4 men could do with shovels and machettes in a month of Sunday's. I have a man right now a sweeping the ground for the weeds chopped up as that is the only pain in the butt about it I see. Wants to roll up in front of the tines.

I am working on getting ya some sweettater plant slips. When I do get a mess of them I will send ya them via La Costena on a day there is a direct flight to the Island.

How much is the shipping cost for a box / bag from BLU to Port on the Cpt. D?

Blog Entries

I spent 200 cordobas sending to Cookshoe from Port to the Island the Bucket of Grog with the salted meat and the rotten cabbage all taped together on the Capt. D.

That's a pretty good price. Thx

Blog Entries

Not sure what the thing is with the tines but you do have to clean them out often if making new ground, after the first couple of passes all is well.

Cost me more to get 2 guys to load the thing on the boat than it did to ship it.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

No rush on the Sweet Potatoes, not sure where I will put them.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

No rush on the Sweet Potatoes, not sure where I will put them.

Well I am glad they ain't no rush that is for sure... Good Lord willin' and the creek don't rise I WILL get ya a few eventually...

Blog Entries

Finally got all them Batata killed off, took me about a year.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Finally got all them Batata killed off, took me about a year.
    Yes they are a plague.

Blog Entries

JW, they say the boat is going, I got my truck guy here today delivering dirt. Packing you a sack right now and will get them to put it on the boat. Quintal chicken feed sack, full of surprises. Blue writing with your name all over it.

Tell the girls to pre-heat the oven, Brownie mix soon in route.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

The Bag of Crap should be loaded by now. You know the drill, who knows if and when the stuff gets there, pretty good Bag of Crap, you will get a kick out of it. my guess is they will leave late night and be there early morning.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

The Bag of Crap should be loaded by now. You know the drill, who knows if and when the stuff gets there, pretty good Bag of Crap, you will get a kick out of it. my guess is they will leave late night and be there early morning.
    Be there in the AM my butt....

But I got it anyway, home just now with the Care package... Uuuu full of goodies Thanks a lot.

I have no idea what you paid to get it on the boat. but when the boat finally tied to the dock at 4 PM and you know the cluster you know what that goes on goes on at that time.

I got with a crew member that was wearing a "Captian Norman Downs" logo on his shirt and told him I was a looking a bag with my name on it.

Do you have your cedula? I gave it to him and he dissapeared down the forward hatch thru the semi-multitudes of people... Stuck his head back out in a few minutes and gave me eye contact and said,"Mista John, gimme 100 cordobas"

I passed it to him, and got my cedula back and in just about 30 seconds had the sack in my hands...

Quickest I have evah been waited on.

Thanks so much for all the little "Goodies" in it...

I and "Know-it-all" are gone go crazy with all the seeds ya sent. BTW I was about out of Alabaca (Sweet Basil) and dearly wanted some seed for it. Gone be eating REAL corn on the cob after a spell. Got the "Soil" as Bill's Father calls DIRT ready and the fishmeal abono to push it all ready...

The girls right now fighting over the jello and lime pie and cake mixes down stairs... LOL...

Belive it or not it is like Christmas in the house tonight...

Thanks again...

Blog Entries

Never seen the likes of cut and ready lobster trap material being loaded on the boat, and a whole slew of 2X4's being loaded as well off the dock.

All I have left to do now over the garden is make blasted well sure the horses that roam the neighborhood are kept out. Basturds will wipe out anything green a popping up. Got my pellet gun Locked and loaded as well to sting their asses with.