Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun?

TRN Member

Default Gun?

Any advice on purchasing a shotgun in RAAS for licensed staff? And what should I expect to pay?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Gun?

Have not priced them in a long while. Some advice; do not look at the prices in the States before looking at the prices here, you may faint. Guns are expensive here.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

I'm told import duties nearly double the price compared to the US.

Active TRN Member

and ammo..is a lot more expensive too..and about double is right

formula: price at walmart and multiply by 2.5. That is only the beginning, you have to pay for and renew your license every 5 years.

a new maverick by mossburg pump goes for around 500 usd here in esteli. I would very much suggest getting a US brand and model with a track record. Nothing wrong with maverick but it really doesn`t matter because in the Culture of Cheap they only import mavericks so live with it.

Blog Entries

Ann,

When it comes to guns, there are many alternatives.

What will the gun be used for?

Hunting...self defense....varmints...?

Do you want to kill, wound, or scare?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_tN4qggq40

For my purposes and reasons, which are mine only I would rather a MARLIN GLENFIELD semi-auto loader in 22 long rifle than a shotgun.

Cost and availability in Nicaragua is about the same as the Mossburg scattergun.

Either one of them is going to need maint and care but I have found that the .22 slug will penitrate deeper into flesh if that is the required target, and holds 18 rounds.

Don't make the noise a shotgun will but more than deadly enough as it's track record will attest to for a further distance.

Either one of them you do need to be proficient with IF YOU HAVE TO USE IT for self defence.

My mother liked her .410 but I do not think it is available here, a 20 guage is because I know they sell shell for them in the local hardware store and does not have the recoil the 12 guage does.

Watch the You Tube of women handling a shotgun with a normal charge of 00 buckshot.

The recoil on the Marlin .22 is slight thus making recovery for another much faster. This is only because I don't think as AR 15 is available here which is my choise of a weapon for all occasions.

Just my 2 cents...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

TRN Member

Thanks, all, for the input. Gun will be for 'home defense' if-and-when. I think the one found in Rama is .16 but will verify. Have a .22 rifle already that's used successfully for hunting and a .22 pistol. I'm seeking shotgun because that's long been my personal choice, tho whatever I buy for Nica will be 'licensed' to my employees.

Blog Entries

You can probably find an AK47 somewhere...

Can you find .22LR ammo there? The hoarders up here won't let the stores keep it in stock.

Blog Entries

22LR are available, like all ammo it is pricey. Most people around here buy by the cartridge, you don't see anyone here doing any target practice.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

20 gauge buckshot is available here, a very good choice for self defense. .22lr is among the worst for SD. the ``stopping power`` (ability to render a motivated attacker PHYSICALLY incapable of continuing the attack) is pitiful. .22lr works out real good for assasinations and accidents, but won`t stop a charging felon in time to do any good.

per above post, if you stumble into an AK it will probably require a shovel. They were outlawed long ago and are very recognizeable and it would be an exceptionally dumb foreigner who would be caught with one.

A pump shotgun is the 3rd best HD/SD weapon type you can get, but in Nic it is the best because you cannot get or afford the first 2. It also carries a lot of bluff value, so it fits in well with security guards. They are there to discourage problems and being there, awake, and armed is that critical first step.

In raas I imagine you would pay more than in other areas. You need to inquire locally, and also find out where you need to go for the license and to get your employees licensed. Buying guns in Nic. is furthwer complicated because there are few gun stores and in any case I think you have to get the permit by jumping thru several hoops locally, starting with the DAEM police. (spelling debateable, but it is pronounced like the US word ''dime``)

A weapon might save your life in a pinch (OK< would)....

If you are looking for deterrence a variety of alarms are available that will give you a heads up that you have a problem coming your way.

I'm fortunate in that I'm in a relatively safe part of the country, have good neighbors, 10- 12 foot walls all around the house and courtyard, AND I covered the top of the walls with serpentina.

Proficiency will be a serious problem for most Nicas, unless you find one with military training. Many people have difficulty firing a weapon at another human being, the hesitation might result in the weapon being turned on you.

NOT saying it's not a good idea, and the remoteness of your area certainly lends credence to the idea.

I would start with alarms and alarmed lights. This might not stop a determined professional, but whether your guard with the shotgun will either is a valid question. Consider the instance north of SJdS . . guard, dogs, -----with some inexpensive alarms the people in the hotel would have at least been awake.

Alarms are cheap, don't require permits, and Nicas seem to be wary of them (at least my experience, everyone in Condega knows my house is alarmed). There is a very easy to use two piece battery powered wireless unit from Harbor Freight that you can move around easily. I have one on my gate door, and the blinking red light is visible to any passerby when the gate or gate door is open. The receiver is in the back bedroom, 300 feet away, and it works flawlessly. It works too well, the cats set it off once in a while in the middle of the night.

LED security lights are getting very inexpensive (Costco) and a few have cameras that take of shot of anyone who activates the light, and stores the pic on a chip. There are other wireless variations that will upload the image or video to your computer or the internet, these cost about $100 (Rakuten).

The problem I have with a gun is,,, the tribal nature of the Nica family. It doesn't matter how scummy the perp is, what list of heinous crimes he has in his history,, his family is going to line up behind him, making future life difficult. This is family in Nicaragua. The reasoning goes something like this: well, if the Gringo wasn't here, Dimas wouldn't have robbed him, so it's the Gringo's fault. I could give other examples of Nica logic, but this post is too long already.

I also have some non-lethal deterents, but depending on the intoxication level of the perp, these may or may not be effective. My current plan is to know that he is coming because of the alarm (huge advanatage), as he approaches the security gate to my bedroom (which I keep locked), I'll nail him with the cattle prod, disorienting him long enough to smash him over the head with a baseball bat.

I figure that if I don't kill him, just turn him into a vegetable, he'll be relatively indistinguishable from many of his contemporaries, and perhaps his family won't notice the difference.

On the choice of a weapon? Certainly, the shotgun is a deterrent and makes a statement. Will the guard fire it? Can he hit something with it? A handgun might be more effective. YOU have the ability to practice inexpensively at any number of firing ranges in the US< they are everywhere. Familiarity with the weapon will make you more comfortable if you indeed have to use it. A heads up from an alarm will insure that you are wide awake when the intruder approaches.

Good luck. I'm sorry to hear that you have been confronted with this set of choices.

Blog Entries

For all of the reasons stated above, my decision is to use a .45 pistol (revolver) six shooter with two loads of bird shot followed by a slug for self defense purposes.

Rinse and repeat as necessary.

I really do not want to kill anybody but neither do I wish to be killed or defenseless.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post

The problem I have with a gun is,,, the tribal nature of the Nica family. It doesn't matter how scummy the perp is, what list of heinous crimes he has in his history,, his family is going to line up behind him, making future life difficult. This is family in Nicaragua. The reasoning goes something like this: well, if the Gringo wasn't here, Dimas wouldn't have robbed him, so it's the Gringo's fault. I could give other examples of Nica logic, but this post is too long already.
    There in lies the biggest problem if someone should get shot. You may have saved yourself for the moment (not a bad thing) but you will forever be looking over your shoulder. Especially here on the Coast where almost everyone has family ties, you would be in a life long blood feud. Guilt or innocence is of no importance.

Prevention is the key, but sometimes even that is not enough. I have been looking at some of the solar powered security lights and know several people that use the alarms, believe JW has some. I think I am going to fix up a system, prices are way down on that kind of stuff (in the States).

I would rather not have a small Dog Army, my monthly dog "costs" are approx the same as all my utilities combined. Without them I would not attempt to live where I live. Seldom a night goes by that I don't get woke at least once and some nights many times, it sucks sleep wise but I figure it is a small price to pay for safety.

The whole gun thing is a catch 22. The thing is that the deterrent is people knowing you have a gun, the problem with that is people knowing you have a gun, what if someone wants the gun worse than you do.
    Ernie K Doe

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    Are you??

You never know until you are really and truly put in that situation of life and death.. You may man up and do it, you may cower, you may run..

Unless you have really and truly been put in a life death scenario you can not be sure you will come through "holding your S#it" together...

Case in point is a Toronto Police officer up here... Years of schooling - 1 year of Police academy after that - 18 months on the beat.. One night a kid goes loopy on a street car . Street car is evacuated .. Loopy kid with a knife walks toward a group 3 officers - One officer looses his presence of mind and shoots the kid 9 times..

Not meant as any commentary on the situation, but of the assumption that you truly know that you can react before the circumstance..

Myself I think I am a 3 stepper - I have 3 or 4 circumstances in my life where there was something going on in front of me where initial instinct cause a 3 step retreat with an instantaneous return once presence of mind was found.. So in my case I would be a dead man..

================================================== =====

Oddly that you all seem to read Ann wants it for herself, I seem to read the purchase is for many to use, maybe like a security guard rotation?
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

I read it that she wants it for a cuiador/guard but it will still roll back on the property owner.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

The bad guy's advantage is lack of morals. He doesn't give a shit if he kills you. The only way to overcome that is to not give a shit if you kill him. None of us normal people want to kill anyone, but wanting doesn't mean diddly most of the time. Even Catholic catechism supports the use of deadly force in self defense. Don't feel bad about it. Just be glad you're alive to sort it out in your mind afterward.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I agree with the alarm system for a heads up.

From what I understand from others that have had to use deadly force... It had better be done INSIDE the home, and not just the yard. But even then their will certianly be Family problems with the deceased's family. You WILL have to make restitution to them for the life of their beloved one that was such an Angel while alive to have any future peace.

A heads up alarm and then kick up the dirt and air around a thief in most cases will make them run, unless you as another poster pointed out it is an exceptually derainged person. Even then it is best to shoot to stop and not kill. Tear them leggs up good fashion would do the trick in my book.

For a pistol round I do not like the .22 it does not come out the barrel with enough Feet per Second behind it to say it can be effective.

Same with a sawed off shotgun, barrel to short to get all the push behind the load required for a complete force.

When it comes right down to it, I guess it is what you feel comfortable with is all I can say. And as Cookshoe said you put a gun in some other persons hand you still get the prize for any thing that might happen.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

fun tape

Fact is, all common handgun bullets have poor stopping power, with the plain 38 sp being a little worse and the 357 being a little better. Little here means little, and probably trivial compared to shot placement. Plan on 2 handgun hits to center torso or center head to stop somebody. With a shotgun (buckshot, number 4 or bigger with number 1 being the best) or with a rifle 1 shot should do. This again, is for good hits--misses count for nothing. Birdshot is for birds. Handguns are popular for convenience and ignorance, in the home a rifle or shotgun is much better.

If the police or others should shoot somebody with 9 rounds of , lets say 9mm, there may several good reasons for this, media sensationalism to the contrary.

And yes, tribalism is alive and well. When I took the class for my permit in the States, the instructor said if the perp had any relatives in the county, even the ones who hated him, expect repercussions from the family. double that in Nic. and I would think triple that on the caribbean side. Life in paradise.

We are now up to 5 dogs, from attack poodles to german shepard mixes. They eat far more than I do, paying the paradise tax once again.

``sawed off`` shotguns are illegal in Nic. the 18 inch barrels available have no significant loss of power compared to longer hunting barrels. Ballistics is a complicated matter: power loss in .357 between a 2, 4 or 6 inch barrel is significant. the difference between an 18 and 29 ich barrel shotgun isn`t worth talking about. It mostly revolves around how fast the powder burns and the powders used in shotgun ammo have pleanty of time in the first 18 inches.

Sweet dreams. May you never get in a gun battle, but if you do I hope you win!

Blog Entries

I live in arguably the safest city in the safest country in Central America. I'm completely surrounded by Nicas which is fine by me. (It's THEIR country.) I don't own a gun, but I own lots of ballpoint pens & paper. With little or no cash on hand, few 'things' of real value, I'm prepared to write a would-be thief an I-O-U, incorrectly dated.

I'm no frontiersman/pioneer/homesteader. I occasionally enjoy visiting the primitive parts of Nicaragua, but not for long - it seems to belong more to bugs than to people. Vacant beaches are OK, but beaches with bikini-ed babes are far more pleasing to my eyes. Only people you don't know, but who know well what you're worth, want to rob you.

All said, civilization is worthy of further consideration, if you have the time & inclination. (Civilization's Discontents ought to read the book of that title by ol' Siggie Freud - it's short.)
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

There is a fragmenting load available for handguns. I had it loaded in the 38 I had on my boat (also had a chromed 12 gauge). Guns are trouble on boats too, generally you have to declare them, relinquish them in port, or keep them in a bonded (sealed) locker. If I had to do it again, I would encourage nasty rust on all the exterior surfaces, not have anything shiny that the customs people would covet. Corruption isn't limited to Nicaragua.

The fragmenting load begins to break apart as it hits the perps body, releasing the full kinetic energy of the load,, pieces going in different directions, causing tremendous internal tissue damage. If you manage a torso or head shot no piece of the bullet will exit the perp's body,, keeping your floor a bit cleaner.

Unfortunately, he WILL subsequently bleed to death from the internal damage, possibly in the arms of his mama: "that bad gringo shot me . . . .

Blog Entries

The internet gurus don't think much of those fragmenting ammo designs. But any kind of shot has a good chance of making a bad guy change their mind.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Slightly related...

There is this Nut Job posting youtube videos of him dressed as an evil clown burring mock bodies and then chasing casual walkers by with a club or Machete to scare the living crap out of them and get youtube views.. (Cash, 1/3 cent for each view over 1,000.000 going up over 2 mill etc etc)

Strikes me that is only a matter of time before he gets slugged up by someone with a concealed carry ...

http://www.dailydot.com/lol/killer-clown-prank-video/
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Slightly related...

There is this Nut Job posting youtube videos of him dressed as an evil clown burring mock bodies and then chasing casual walkers by with a club or Machete to scare the living crap out of them and get youtube views.. (Cash, 1/3 cent for each view over 1,000.000 going up over 2 mill etc etc)

Strikes me that is only a matter of time before he gets slugged up by someone with a concealed carry ...

http://www.dailydot.com/lol/killer-clown-prank-video/
    I had a dream like that once, after a lot of FDC and too much BBQ pork and beans.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast