Thread: Proof of onward travel

Active TRN Member

Default Proof of onward travel

Has anyone who has recently checked in for a flight to Nicaragua (as a tourist) been asked by the airline to provide proof that you have already booked passage out of the country?

This happened recently to a friend of mine but not me.

Active TRN Member

Default Re: Proof of onward travel

Well it´s interesting that the airline would try to pull this on someone leaving Nicaragua. This requirement has nothing to do with US or Nicaraguan immigration, it it something that is the policy of certain airlines.

Active TRN Member

Forgot to ask you which airline tried to do this. My friend who got hassled flew Delta. I flew Avianca without a problem. It would help if we could narrow in on the airlines who are trying this.

Blog Entries

Spirit,you are certain to be asked.

Is your GF a Nica resident? I can see them asking for a return ticket if that is the case, that would be no surprise.

Many if not most Countries do require proof of onward travel, but I don't think many enforce it. I have never been asked or seen anyone asked by immigration when entering Nicaragua. All the times I have been to Costa Rica I have never been asked for proof but I have had people next to me, in front of me, behind me asked for proof.

Supposedly the reason the airlines ask is that if for some reason you are not allowed into a Country upon arrival they are responsible for you.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Had it happen in El Salvador several times. I would fly in on one airline, leave on another and or leave by bus a few times, they pick it up quick. Nicaragua not so much.

Blog Entries

Had AA pull that on me in MIA on my way back to MGA 8 or 9 years ago. I had somehow stumbled on a cheap oneway online MIA-MGA. Got to MIA and was asked if I had Nica residency, and when I said no, they insisted that Nicaragua required it or that I would be turned back at the door when I hit the ground in MGA. When the chick saw I was pissed, she steered me towards a pricey, yet fully refundable, return ticket and gave me instructions on how to do the refund in Nicaragua. Of course, they weren't handing out any money to gringos in MGA, but did get a credit on my cc some 6 weeks or so later.
    political correctedness has run wild and the outrage police are everywhere

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post

Supposedly the reason the airlines ask is that if for some reason you are not allowed into a Country upon arrival they are responsible for you.
    This time, I was asked to show proof of residency before leaving the US on Delta. Couple of other people were also called up to the desk for the same reason. Pretty straight-forward -- showed them my residency card and that was it.

Active TRN Member

If you are concerned about this, one way to ensure your flight is to buy a bus ticket from Nicaragua to Costa Rica prior to your flight.

Tica Bus currently charges $29 for a one-way fare from Nicaragua to CR.

You can´t buy the ticket on line so you will need to find a contact in Nicaragua whom will buy a ticket in your name at a Tica Bus office.

You will need to fax your contact a copy of the photo page of your passport or e-mail the contact a pdf, because Tica Bus requires it.

Of course the contact will have to fax you back a copy of the ticket or pdf it and e-mail it to you.

Tica Bus tickets are good for one year. They are non-refundable and non-transferable. If you actually plan to use the ticket, you can reserve a seat on a bus at the time of purchase or later at no additional cost.

For more information, here is the Tica Bus website:

http://www.Tica Bus.com/eng/index.php
    Last edited by Mikeh; 07-09-2014 at 03:43 PM.

Blog Entries

"There is another way around the problem:

Write a fake airline or travel agency itinerary for a flight departing MGA for another country, departing some time after your flight to MGA arrives. The people at the check-in counter or automated on-line check-in process will not try to confirm your fake itinerary.

Of course, make sure you choose an airline that is different from the one that you will fly in on to MGA."

I read a few Costa Rica forums once in a while and seems for some reason Panama has really gotten strict with the proof of onward travel (lots of Gringos in CR go to Panama to reset their visas), some people report that Panama immigration is calling the airlines to verify itineraries that they find suspect, panama is also requiring some people to show proof of funds.

The only reason I mention this is that having watched for several years I have noticed that CR seems to follow Panama's lead and that Nicaragua usually follows a few years behind CR.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Active TRN Member

Well now I have good news for everyone. I just contacted Tica Bus and found out that it will sell you a reserved seat on a bus from Nicaragua to Costa Rica by e-mail, even though the website doesn´t mention. I tried doing this last year with no luck so I assume this is a relatively new process. Here is what Ms. Pamela Rodriguez at Tica Bus wrote me about how to do it:

1. Send an email to prodriguez@ticabus.com with the scanned passports of the passengers, the desired route, time and date of travel.

2. Once I receive the email I will forward the information to the Credit Department. They will contact you and send the Credit Card Authorization Form.

3. Complete and sign the form and send it back to them via email.

4. The Credit Department will charge your credit card and send the tickets via email.

5. The Credit Department functions Monday – Friday from 7:00am to 4:00pm….processing of credit cards will happen during that schedule.

6. IMPORTANT – TICKETS ARE NON REFUNDABLE --

Since this is inexpensive and easy I think it would be the preferred option of any sensible person.

Active TRN Member

If you book a bus ticket this way, I would find a way to encrypt the completed Credit Card Authorization Form before e-mailing it to Tica Bus. You do not want to send this type of info over the internet in plain text. Some secure services such as Hushmail offer free accounts and very clear instructions on how to send an encrypted e-mail to a non-subscriber. Basically it would involve password-protecting the e-mail message and then phoning the recipient (in this case Pamela Rodriguez) to give her the password to open the e-mail.
    Last edited by Mikeh; 07-09-2014 at 03:51 PM.

I showed up in Phoenix flying American (nor part of US Airways, or vice versa).

The agent was checking returns, I told her with a perfectly straight face that I was returning on Spirit on October 18 . . .

She then looks it up on her terminal, and of course, it's not there. I had to buy a refundable return, and ran back right before the door closed. I had plenty of time in Tucson, they didn't check there so I thought I was good.

The extra attention brought my third carry on to their attention as well, and I had to check one. Good news, good news, it was so heavy that I would have had difficulty muscling it down the aisle and lifting it into the overhead. They didn't charge me, and when I dropped it at the foot of the jetway, the guy who tagged it and picked it up said, "Jesus"!

So, it's a little different every time.
    I should have bought Mikeh's bus ticket!

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post

I went back to visit family for a month, and bought a 1 way ticket on Spirit back to Nicaragua about a month or two ago. They never asked about onward travel. no one did, not the airline, not customs, etc. I have about 6 friends that have all went back to the states for one reason or another, and then came back on one way tickets, and also never was asked. Both Delta and Spirit.

Only country that i have been in that has said they require proof of onward travel from me is Costa Rica, otherwise as an american citizen, ive never been asked in any of the couple handful of countries ive been in, latin america, or europe.

Blog Entries

You are the first person I have heard from that Spirit did not ask, they have been on that kick for a few years, but I think they actually pride themselves on being a pain in the ass and making travel miserable. I think Delta just started asking in recent months, something pops up on their screen when you are checking in so it is the person checking you in to decide to ask or ignore it

I was looking at Jet Blue fares from SJO to FLL recently and when I hit the button to see the price a pop up appeared saying something to the effect that it being an international flight proof of onward travel MAY be required. Jet Blue has some great fares SJO-FLL, but you have to get to SJO, negating any savings.

Just a hit or miss deal I guess, crazy thing is I have never been asked when going into Costa Rica but I have seen people all around me be asked so I know they do ask, just not everyone it seems.
    Ernie K Doe