Thread: First Lobster of the Year

Blog Entries

Default First Lobster of the Year

Season opened Tuesday, neighbor just brought me a few pounds. Last year I hardly ate any, supply was so poor.

I have some good horseradish in the fridge so maybe I will make a Mexican style Lobster Cocktail. I am not gaga over Lobster, I will eat it if I have it but I seldom go looking it, usually I fry it or make Lobster Salad with it. I like to keep some tails in the freezer in case company shows up, easy to thaw and throw on the grill.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Default Re: First Lobster of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Season opened Tuesday, neighbor just brought me a few pounds. Last year I hardly ate any, supply was so poor.

I have some good horseradish in the fridge so maybe I will make a Mexican style Lobster Cocktail. I am not gaga over Lobster, I will eat it if I have it but I seldom go looking it, usually I fry it or make Lobster Salad with it. I like to keep some tails in the freezer in case company shows up, easy to thaw and throw on the grill.
    Can we grow Horseradish here?
    I always been back a small bottle of Siver Springs HR from the USA..as not available anywhere in MGA

Blog Entries

I know of a few people who have tried to grow it but without any luck. I have never been able to get a piece of the root to plant. A year or so ago I planted a Moringa tree, it is sometimes called Horseradish tree, have not grated any of the root to check the taste but will when it gets a little bigger. Someone must be growing it successfully here but I have not come across them yet.

The only place I ever found Horseradish in Nicaragua is at a food service supplier in MGA but I believe you had to buy a case of qt jars.

One of the Gringo vendors at the Granada Farmers was selling some at one time, not sure if they still do. I have not looked for any in years maybe some of the specialty places may have it now. Thing is that it is cheap and easy to carry so people are happy to bring a jar down from the States.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Id be interested in seeing/hearing if the size of the lobster improves this season with those new areas from Colombia opened up. All the lobsters I ever seen in Nicaragua usually would barely pass as shorts in Florida.
    political correctedness has run wild and the outrage police are everywhere

Blog Entries

The meat I got last night was "Horn Meat" already picked and cleaned and you could tell it came off some nice size Lobsters. All the tail is going straight to the plants to get some $$ in the guys pockets.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

If you are getting Horn Meat, then those lobsters are plenty big mon.
    Last edited by Little Corn Tom; 07-05-2014 at 07:41 PM.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Yep, this Horn Meat came off some big Lobster, some of the pieces are big round as my thumb. Horn Meat is great for A cocktail or salad.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

What are the fishermen getting per pound for tails?

Blog Entries

Suhweet!!! If you got someone giving you horn meat you surely done something right at sometime!
    political correctedness has run wild and the outrage police are everywhere

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We got in 10K pounds day before yesterday..

They (the tails) are cooling it right now, gone leave out of here perhaps Manana or Monday by road to MGA.

If the tails make 5 oz's they are legal to export. I havent looked to see the sizes but everyone is wearing smiles and I don't see very many at all leaving out of the plant for the local market, meaning "Shorts" that were rejected due to being undersized.

I have been so busy I did not even notice what the current price is for class A tails.

Y'all go on and enjoy the product. If I nevah eat another one I will have eaten my fair share of the Scavengers already in my life time.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Not a short to be found here either. I haven't heard the price, heard it was up a little but once production begins it usually drops some. Lots of smiles here too. I hope and pray this is a good season, we badly need it here.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

300 Cordobas a pound delivered to the plant, or one of its COPIOS Class "A' Tails

The Plant has Copios to the Miskito Keys and sells food at cost as well. Those that work out of the Copios need not worry about the ice there.

Ice at cost of production of it for those that sell to the plant which in their operations require it, which is cheap for Ice for here, hence an Ice plant for a business here would not make it as an independant business.

Only when the plants have no ice could it be sold for a fair market value.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

I talked to a bar owner yesterday, he sold out of beer Saturday night, 22 cases and this is not a big bar.

Beer sales are about the best way to gauge the economy here, there is some money moving it seems.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Ahhh...the "Beer Index" is up!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    Ahhh...the "Beer Index" is up!
    Does cut through the clutter. A simpler life in NicaLand, none of those confusing statistics about the state of the economy. And, if you have lobster and beer, what else is necessary (well, OK, I can think of ONE thing) .. .

Maybe CookShow can take a headcount of the available hookers, that might be an even better measure of the state of the economy

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    300 Cordobas a pound delivered to the plant, or one of its COPIOS Class "A' Tails

The Plant has Copios to the Miskito Keys and sells food at cost as well. Those that work out of the Copios need not worry about the ice there.

Ice at cost of production of it for those that sell to the plant which in their operations require it, which is cheap for Ice for here, hence an Ice plant for a business here would not make it as an independant business.

Only when the plants have no ice could it be sold for a fair market value.
    What is COPIOS?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kwah2249 View Post
    What is COPIOS?
    They are buying stations set up most anywhere, to the Key's Them, at the foot of the wharf, anywhere their is traffic of the movement of the Red Gold.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post

Maybe CookShow can take a headcount of the available hookers, that might be an even better measure of the state of the economy

I was in a taxi the other day and 2 women were in the back seat, they were talking Creole and I guess they assumed I could not follow the conversation. We passed the wharf and several of the big Honduranian boats that fish here were tied up there. One woman told the other she would like to find her a capitan on one dem boats, the other replied she would be happy with anyone from the cook up.
    Ernie K Doe

Ahh gotcha, buying stations for the red gold. So white lobster doesn't mean lobster but red gold does. Thx JW