Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: new bug ``Chikungunya``

  1. #1

    Default new bug ``Chikungunya``

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chikungunya

    same drill, don`t get bit by zancudos

  2. #2
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    5,238
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: new bug ``Chikungunya``

    Was in the Papers this week that it has reached Nicaragua and there are confirmed cases.

    Last year we were fortunate on the Island far as Dengue goes, in a small area like that it passes like widfire, my 1st or 2nd year there almost everyone had it.

    I see tourist all the time on the Island that look like they were ate alive, I wonder how many go home with Dengue.

    Before I moved and was traveling back and forth I carried home a case of Leishmaniasis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leishmaniasis. I would not wish that on my worst enemy. At first I thought I had some sort of flesh eating virus.

    Took a long day of research and emailing photos and symptoms to a Dr friend to figure it out, we both figured it out at about the same time, his advice was to go back to MGA (I was in Florida), there were so few cases at that time that he figured I would get better treatment in MGA where they deal with it. By that time I figured there was no way they would let me on a plane. I was running a crazy fever, and one of the "ulcers" was on my forehead, the really bad ones were mostly on my legs and arms.

    Once we figured out what it was I was a little relieved believe it or not. The ulcers will start like a little bump or pimple and then grow and grow quickly, at first I was seriously scared, was freaking out.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

  3. #3
    House SOB Little Corn Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pompano Beach, Florida
    Posts
    9,497
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: new bug ``Chikungunya``

    That is one nasty looking disease.

    How long did it take to get rid of the ulcers?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

  4. #4

    Default Re: new bug ``Chikungunya``

    Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Was in the Papers this week that it has reached Nicaragua and there are confirmed cases.

    Last year we were fortunate on the Island far as Dengue goes, in a small area like that it passes like widfire, my 1st or 2nd year there almost everyone had it.

    I see tourist all the time on the Island that look like they were ate alive, I wonder how many go home with Dengue.

    Before I moved and was traveling back and forth I carried home a case of Leishmaniasis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leishmaniasis. I would not wish that on my worst enemy. At first I thought I had some sort of flesh eating virus.

    Took a long day of research and emailing photos and symptoms to a Dr friend to figure it out, we both figured it out at about the same time, his advice was to go back to MGA (I was in Florida), there were so few cases at that time that he figured I would get better treatment in MGA where they deal with it. By that time I figured there was no way they would let me on a plane. I was running a crazy fever, and one of the "ulcers" was on my forehead, the really bad ones were mostly on my legs and arms.

    Once we figured out what it was I was a little relieved believe it or not. The ulcers will start like a little bump or pimple and then grow and grow quickly, at first I was seriously scared, was freaking out.

    You need to start dating a higher class of girl. . . .

  5. #5
    Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Puerto Cabezas Nicar
    Posts
    13,263
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: new bug ``Chikungunya``

    Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    You need to start dating a higher class of girl. . . .
    ......
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...



  6. #6
    TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Granada, Nicaragua
    Posts
    2,384

    Default Re: new bug ``Chikungunya``

    You need to start dating a higher class of girl. . . .
    No me gusta, me encanta!

    Roger is aware of what is coming in the "new" disease, and is tweaking an already d*mn good cure into something stronger. So hoping I don't get to be the guinea pig this year! We've a veritable pharmacopoeia on the rental property, so it's easier for us to grab something fresh whereas most others couldn't, BUT there are things anyone can do naturally; as a preventative and to treat during a sickness. When the body is attacked, the most important organ to be working well is the liver, make that puppy stronger (give it a boost, if you will), and the body's recovery time will be faster. The immune system at peak performance obviously stops most of what jumps on us, so a bit of a tweak helps it do more; something like tumeric added to a daily diet is essential to keeping so much of the body working well, and feeling good.

    Like I say, there is a lot one can do to deal with this "new" disease that is coming (and should scare us).
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

  7. #7
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    5,238
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: new bug ``Chikungunya``

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    That is one nasty looking disease.

    How long did it take to get rid of the ulcers?

    Took a few weeks before I would wear shorts in public,once they scabbed up it was ok but the first week they were festering, open, scary looking messes. I still have some visible scars on my legs from the worst ones. The first week was agonizing, you sit there and look at the things grow and grow. Like I said, first day I was freaking out.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

  8. #8
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    5,238
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: new bug ``Chikungunya``

    Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    You need to start dating a higher class of girl. . . .

    You are probably right about that.

    I still remember the night well. I had been on the Island my typical 3 months and was flying out the next day, there was a small celebration being held in my honor (more likely to honor me leaving for 3 months so my friends could get some peace and quiet). We were on the back porch of a friend's business. I was naive, it was my first time, no protection, if only I could do it all over again.

    The minute we figured out what I had I knew exactly where it happened. To my knowledge I had never encounterd sand flies until that evening, they are not bad on the Island but a few times a year they get pesky. I did not know what was biting me, they love biting around the ankles. I remembered a friend saying sand flies when he saw me swatting my lower legs.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

  9. #9

    Default Re: new bug ``Chikungunya``

    Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    You are probably right about that.

    I still remember the night well. I had been on the Island my typical 3 months and was flying out the next day, there was a small celebration being held in my honor (more likely to honor me leaving for 3 months so my friends could get some peace and quiet). We were on the back porch of a friend's business. I was naive, it was my first time, no protection, if only I could do it all over again.

    The minute we figured out what I had I knew exactly where it happened. To my knowledge I had never encounterd sand flies until that evening, they are not bad on the Island but a few times a year they get pesky. I did not know what was biting me, they love biting around the ankles. I remembered a friend saying sand flies when he saw me swatting my lower legs.


    That was probably a mean thing to say but I'm known for putting my foot in my mouth (saying what's on my mind). We were looking at some old photos with some friends two days ago, I had this great shot of Shelley on Sugarloaf at dusk with the statue of the Redeemer in the background, sky a bunch of colors, and everyone was going -- ooh, ahhh, until I say, "Wow! You were reallly skinny back then".

    I'm going to pay for that one for a loooong time.

    The info on the sand flies is good to know . .is that a parasitic disease, or some bacteria? I wonder if it is related to the old yaws of the south sea islands? Jack London took a boat to somewhere there, and described how the ulcers would get deeper and deeper and finally hit a vein or artery.

  10. #10
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    5,238
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: new bug ``Chikungunya``

    Been 8-9 years ago now so I might be off on the facts. An infected female sand fly (no idea how it becomes infected) bites you and transmits the disease. At the time I had it most of the reported cases were travelers when they got home but I have read somewhere in the past few years that it has popped up some in the States, believe it was South Texas.

    I can see how the ulcers could get that deep, especially without delicate care, No kidding it was grotesque, they were oozing messes, you could not stop looking at them, everytime you look they were bigger, the biggest one I had was maybe 3 inches in diameter, most were Half Dollar size.

    Sleeping was difficult as most were on my legs and I really could not get in any position without one touching the sleeping surface.
    Last edited by cookshow; 07-13-2014 at 11:01 AM.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

  11. #11
    Active TRN Member RGV AG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sweatshops R-US Nicaragua again
    Posts
    787

    Default Re: new bug ``Chikungunya``

    And here I have been thinking they have been talking about the battle in Georgia........go figure.

  12. #12

    Default Re: new bug ``Chikungunya``

    What`s most annoying about reading about this disease is the possibility of permanent damage. I still have arthritis from when I had intestinal parasites here 5 years ago and I`d hate to get more. Seems it is long established in Africa and south Asia, then moved to the caribbean. Now that it has a toe hold in CA we will probably be stuck with it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Also visit the False Bluff Blog!