Thread: Finally, some real rain in Jinotega

Blog Entries

Default Finally, some real rain in Jinotega

Taken with a Sony A6000 and a Sony 35mm lens.

I got a deal on batteries (apparently not counterfeits) and a charger at the Sony Store in Las Galerias, and a 24mm Sony/Zeiss lens that I didn't buy when I was back in the US which was not a deal. Couple taken with the 24mm lens on a Sony A3000:

[IMG]Mike
    sSon-3
    by rbb_56, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]SeaShell by rbb_56, on Flickr[/IMG]

And one with an adapted Yashinon MX 50mm f/1.7 lens, cropped, of Volcan Masaya from Mike Quinn's hotel:

[IMG]VolcanMasaya by rbb_56, on Flickr[/IMG]

Default Re: Finally, some real rain in Jinotega

We finally got a solid down pour last night in the Condega, but not nearly as much at the farm.

Perhaps this is the beginning . . . better late than never.

We've gotten enough, pretty steady, but not large amounts. Everything looks like it is doing pretty well, both corn and beans. Pasture is lush.

One big benefit, the zancudos are way down,,,, although they were spraying in Tipitapa when I came through earlier in the week.

I'm sleeping net free, and taking the odd bite (only two the entire week so far).

Great pictures!

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

I rented the 24 last October.. I was disappointed.. It was $40 for the rental but saved me a bunch as I think it is not a wise 35 (crop equiv) for APS.. Set At that time a new SEL24f18 was $1200 new and $800 ish used.. The SAL24F2Z is much better for the same coin (but as a full frame) I rented that at the same time but could not find the coin to buy it..

I went to the Galarias store on the 2nd of Aug and was floored by the prices.. For the SAL1680Z the listed it at $1299.. I bought mine used in 07 for $699 and sold it for $650 in 2013... The A6000 (which I think you just bought) was $950ish while in the states it is $650ish..

But you should look at the SEL55f18 .. It is jaw dropping at $800ish from BH.. I have one with my A7.. It is stellar..

Counterfeit batteries for the NEX/aXZZZZ line is not bad.. I have 3 counterfeit and 3 original Sony for my A7 NEX 3 and (Sold) NEX 7 and found no problem with knock offs for the last 3 yrs..
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

I used a 24mm Nikon on APS and have two of five framed prints here from it. Spent some of my inheritance on this one. I bought the A6000 in the US (back for my father's interment in June). I did the math on import through B&H and pay at Las Galaries and it's rather close, and I have an in-country guarantee on it for a year, rather than having to ship it back to B&H. Plus I got to play with it before buying (I took the A3000 body and the manual adapted lens with me). Aduana seems to charge IVA on incoming packages, so $800 plus $65 ish for shipping with tracking, plus $128 plus something else (I stopped thinking about what I was paying for the boxes over $600) gets into $985 fairly quickly. The math was close enough on the 24mm lens, within $100.

I've got telephotos covered with the Micro 4/3rds camera and system though I'd like to pick up a newer body for that somewhere (have the GF1). For portraits, my Nikon manual focus 105mm f/2.5 is a classic (I had that on indefinite loan back when I had a D300 and returned it to my brother when I decided to come here, then got it back when I was in the US).

I did get a 16mm f/2.8 Sony from the Sony Store used for $49. The guys kept saying "usado" and I kept nodding. And the batteries were around $16 each. They also have batteries for the DSLRs. Shots from the 16mm f/2.8 and the A3000:

[IMG]FebruaryJinotega-5 by rbb_56, on Flickr[/IMG]

and

[IMG]StreetSceneSewerWork by rbb_56, on Flickr[/IMG]

The street work is long since finished, by the way.

For a $49 lens, I'm satisfied with it, and there's one attachment that turns it into a 12mm lens combo and another that turns it into a fisheye -- haven't bought those, and may not. We had a fun discussion of the 16mm Sony e-mount on one of the camera forums. People seem to diss it something awful and some people seem to better copies than others, and it's got a reverse cup focal field, which works for background corners with objects further back than the center, according to one guy, apparently.

My A6000 was around $600 if I remember correctly -- Sony was having a $50 discount day. Also bought a Nikon to e-mount adaptor, a spare battery, and a ThinkTank Mirrorless Mover 20, and an SD card. Stuff with lithium batteries included, B&H only sents UPS or FedEx, and UPS doesn't like my street address not being associated with my CC, so that's probably that for batteries included shipments here. FedEx charges way too much.

I always tended to use the 24mm (35mm equivalent) more for closer shots than not -- with any vistas behind the main object. Both lenses focused close (this one very close). The 16mm is more like a classic wide angle. More of my photos are https://www.flickr.com/photos/rebecca_ore/, including a test shot taken in the store.
    Last edited by MizBrown; 08-08-2014 at 12:10 AM.

Blog Entries

We almost crossed paths.. We were in Galirias on the 2nd .. Chilo and I walked the mall as the boys seen Transformers 2 in the theatre..

I had the 16mm for a year. Bought it in Japan used for something like $100 and sold it for more a year later.. $49 is a real good price..

A3000 is nice but a bit too clunky for me. Epically the screen logistics.

It has been a long time since Mr Quinn chimed in here..

It seems that there are quite a few Nikon AI lenses for sale in Nicaragua used as I guess they [Nikon] were big in country before every thing went to crap in the late 70's...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    We almost crossed paths.. We were in Galirias on the 2nd .. Chilo and I walked the mall as the boys seen Transformers 2 in the theatre..

I had the 16mm for a year. Bought it in Japan used for something like $100 and sold it for more a year later.. $49 is a real good price..

A3000 is nice but a bit too clunky for me. Epically the screen logistics.

It has been a long time since Mr Quinn chimed in here..

It seems that there are quite a few Nikon AI lenses for sale in Nicaragua used as I guess they [Nikon] were big in country before every thing went to crap in the late 70's...
    I was there that Saturday afternoon. Yeah, we must have passed each other in the mall.

Where have you seen the Nikon AI lenses for sale here?

What I like about the A3000 is that I could buy it in Jinotega, and that I can replace it quickly at about every Radio Shack in Nicaragua, even if it's cheaper in the US. B&H has it for $348 with the kit lens, but shipping via UPS or FedEx and taxes would add to that so a wash minus the convenience of having another camera in hand quickly if what I have now was stolen. Getting stuff UPS or FedEx also requires a trip to Managua. It's cheaper than the Nikon and Canon entry level DSLRs kits here. I like being able to handle cameras before buying them.

Mr. Quinn has been busy, see his son in the hammock above.
    Last edited by MizBrown; 08-08-2014 at 05:50 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MizBrown View Post
    Where have you seen the Nikon AI lenses for sale here?

Oh.. If I seen you I did not recognise you..

Some lenses on the flash addicts list on Facebook.. Others from various relatives and acquaintances who say they have an old manual Nikon film camera with some lenses for sale once they see my camera and they figure they would fit.. Although I was not asked on this trip, past ones.

Some times I seen them here as well.. But that was 2 or 3 yrs back that I would browse here regularly.. http://www.encuentra24.com/nicaragua...ified-listings

Nice Pics MizBrown, Keep them coming,,,,,,