Thread: Big Corn Visit

Blog Entries

Default Big Corn Visit

So, it looks like after our week of service in Nicaragua this year (in and around Managua), we are planning to spend a few nights on Big Corn. Have been hearing that we are pushing the limit of number of passengers and number of guests that plan to stay the extra days this year. Typically, anywhere from eight to about a dozen stay the extra days to be tourists, but it looks like a few more this year. We have stayed on Ometepe, San Juan del Sur, Bluefields, Pearl Lagoon, San Ramon, and a few others. First time to visit Corn Island. Plan is to take a panga to Little Corn one day.

Hope we get to spend some time swimming, snorkeling,and hopefully fishing, in addition to visiting places on the island(s).

Any "don't miss" places any of you can recommend?
    "Find out what it is in life that you don't do well - and then don't do that thing." -The most Interesting Man in the World

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Big Corn Visit

Quote Originally Posted by StickMan View Post
    Any "don't miss" places any of you can recommend?

Of course Kevin will ring in with much better info - But for us just walking the ring road was good enough - Time about 4 hours...
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Check out www.bigcornisland.com and www.rightsideguide.com for lots of info. I will be happy to answer any questions you have.

What part of the year do you plan to visit? Swimming pretty much everywhere, good snorkeling on North End and Sally Peachy area, fishing is trickier but possible. Once you figure out what part of the Island you want to stay I could recommend Hotels.

A hike to the Lighthouse is cool (can actually taxi most of the way now), on clear days you can see to the Pearl Keys and get a great view of the Island.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Thanks Bill & Kevin. Hiking the island works for me, and I'll check out the websites.

I spoke with our Nicaraguan host on Saturday (he was here in Ohio for a visit), and he has spent some time on the island(s) lately. (Said he thought he knew where Kevin lives, based on what little I know about you and what you have posted here.) We plan to visit in mid-November.

Initial info I have gotten is that the group leader has been in touch with Martha's B&B and has set up reservations. I don't know where Martha's is on the island nor anything about their operation. What do you think? Also not sure what's going to happen with the overflow yet if they can't accommodate the size of our group. May have to have part of the group stay elsewhere.

My wife and I are early-50's and we are likely to be some of the youngest in the group. We don't mind walking and checking out sites. Ages in the upper 60's to late 70's (or more) is the norm for this group, so sitting on a porch or a brief walk on the beach to watch the surf might be the best some will hope for. I know when we visited San Carlos and the river region last year, our hike through the rain forest was out for many of them, but a panga ride up the Rio Bartola was fine.
    "Find out what it is in life that you don't do well - and then don't do that thing." -The most Interesting Man in the World

Blog Entries

Martha´s is swell she and her husband are good friend´s of mine. Their Hotel is on Picnic Center Beach. On North end I would recommend Ike Sui´s Hotel, on South End Lonmar´s Hotel, all 3 owned by Islanders that lived in the States many years.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

I'll 2nd Lonmar's and Ena's place called Sunrise in the Southend neighborhood, we always stay there. They should have no problem holding everyone unless its really busy on the island. Very clean, well landscaped, and secure. The owners retired back to Big Corn from the USA. Very nice farm also that goes to the top of the island. Several stores and places to eat w/in walking distance.

Longbay Beach just a quick walk down the hill.

Fun snorkeling at Sally Peachy. We usually hang out at Victoria's, they will watch bags for you while you swim, also good soup and tacos.

Blog Entries

We're here. Staying at Martha's. Took the panga over to LCI today. Hiked around the island, climbed the lighthouse for a great view of the whole island. Planning to go out to the Spanish galleon tomorrow for a little snorkeling. Had a great meal of "rundown" tonight and waiting for it to digest. Ellery has been a great host as Martha flew to MGA this morning. Will also plan to tour BCI tomorrow.

Blog Entries

There's a lighthouse? Got pictures?

<--- Envious

Blog Entries

Just got back from a golf cart ride around BCI. Resting a bit before supper.

Jonh/KWP, as for the lighthouse, that is what our local "guide" called it. It is more like a high intensity light located at the highest point on the island mounted to a metal tower. Once you got to the tower you climbed about a 45 -50 rung ladder to reach the platform at the top. I did get pictures, but they are on the camera and I am posting updates with an iPad mini. No USB port. The highest point on Big Corn we got to was up Quinn Hill to the playground and a little beyond. Leaving tomorrow on the afternoon flight to MGA. Once I get home ( to the 3-5 inches of snow that fell while we were in Nicaragua), I will post some pictures.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    There's a lighthouse? Got pictures?

You walked right by it one day!
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Someone is building a series of wooden cabanas on the trail up to the lighthouse. We walked right past them, past the cell tower, then on to the lighthouse. The cabanas have a great view of the water from that far up.

Blog Entries

Sounds like if the lighthouse was a snake it would have bit me.

Blog Entries

Was hoping to at least meet Cookshow before we left the island, but it doesn't seem likely. We leave on the 4:00 flight today. He may be out with the Chinese planting coconut anyway. Internet here at Martha's has been in and out and I know he has said his Internet has been crap lately. Was a nice visit. Maybe I should get a picture of my toes in the sand before I head to "the white death" of Ohio tomorrow.

P.s. The Right Side Guide and The Corn Islands links at the bottom of this page were very helpful. Prices are a little off on some things, but all in all, very useful. Thanks to whomever put them together.

Blog Entries

Sorry I missed you, I am still off the Island. Hope you saw a little sun, this weather has been a little dreary.

Yep the Internet on the Coast has gone to CRAP.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

A few pix from Big & Little Corn.

Panoramic view from atop the "lighthouse" on LCI looking out toward the bay. The new cabins being built on the path up to the lighthouse (note the Claro tower in both pictures).

North End beach on BCI.

Soul of the World Pyramid on Quinn Hill. http://www.souloftheworld.com/work.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

For some reason, the picture of the cabins did not load. I tried it several times again, and still no joy. Not sure why. Let's try resizing it.

Blog Entries

Downloaded the pix from my wife's camera. She took pictures of the "lighthouse" on LCI.

Got to wonder about who engineered this structure. Gotta be pretty thin to get inside the door.