View Poll Results: Why did you move to Nicaragua?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • I moved here to live

10 55.56%
  • I moved here to die

3 16.67%
  • I moved here to escape the law

1 5.56%
  • I don't know, I just ended up here.

4 22.22%
  • Some other reason

7 38.89%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Poll: Why are you in Nicaragua?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Poll: Why are you in Nicaragua?

That, and this book should be mandatory reading in high school: The Predatory Female: A Field Guide to Dating and the Marriage-Divorce Industry https://www.amazon.com/dp/0961593806..._o7wkzb7KGCCDG

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    . . . this book should be mandatory reading in high school: The Predatory Female: A Field Guide to Dating and the Marriage-Divorce Industry https://www.amazon.com/dp/0961593806..._o7wkzb7KGCCDG
    Better hope it's available in the school library. But, with most HS librarians being female, chances are slim.

On Amazon: the best price for a new copy = $1,027.89 The best price for a used copy = $63.00 + $3.99 shipping. It's only 163 pages, for crying out loud! If one must have it, borrow it and fotocopy.

I love Amazon's list of what else those customers buy:
    * Booby trapped: Men beware! (Illiterates may buy it for the cleavage on the cover.)
    * That Bitch: Protect Yourself Against Women With Malicious Intent * Protecting Yourself While Divorcing Someone with Borderline or Narcissistic Personality Disorder
    * The Manipulated Man
    * No More Mr Nice Guy - A proven plan for getting what you want in love, sex, and life

What I value on Amazon is the customer reviews. For The Predatory Female, to wit
    * The legal system is leveraged against married men. This book exposes all this. (In the USA, needless to add, not in Nicaragua)
    * The only people who would suggest you ... ignore this book altogether are ignorant fools; or worse, they are the very women the author is trying to warn you about.
    * My favorite section ... is "Danger Signals." "If she's good in bed, something is probably not right."
    * I'm on my third time reading through it. ... Stay safe guys and beware the A-frame!
    * Women hate this book, because it is brutally honest about what they are - manipulative, money-grabbing leeches, with help from their attorney and fat and miserable friends. All men that still have their testicles attached should get a copy for their boys so they can at least have a fighting chance . . .

Bigh Jonh - is your recommendation of this for REAL?
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by vinyljunkie77003 View Post
    is there anyone here on this board that DIDNT leave a wife/children/family/past life behind in search of the young nicaraguan girl with the small butt and perky tits?
    I didn't.

I have had my share of run-ins with Nicaraguan women, and some of those are now cautionary tales, but I had those as a single guy testing the shark infested waters of the dating pool.

I've written off dating entirely for the moment.

I'm in Nicaragua for a couple of reasons that all build upon each other: 1) Down here my money stretches farther. 2) Because my money stretches farther, I have more time to work on my passion (writing). 3) I get inspired with the natural beauty in Nicaragua. This inspiration makes me a more prolific writer. 4) I get inspired with the raw and unfiltered society (or maybe the lack thereof) in Nicaragua, and this (once again) makes me a more prolific writer.

The problem that I ran into in the past is that I would get distracted by the pretty and flirty women in Nicaragua. I ended up losing time and money and having my heart trampled three or four times. I finally figured out that dating is counter-indicated to accomplishing the goals that I enumerated above.

It may be possible to find someone down here who isn't trapped by her cultural paradigms and who could bend enough to meet me somewhere in the middle, but my experience suggests the opposite. Relationships are hard enough without trying to work through the minefield of cultural difference between Gringos and Nicaraguans.

If (however) you should decide to wade into those same shark infested waters, I advise that you live in the moment and try not to build up any long term expectations. That way, when she goes full on Mrs. Hyde, you can cut ties, walk away, and focus on the good times.
    Soy el chele mono.

Blog Entries

DY, I read that book in the early 90s. My experiences with women coincided with what the author warned of, so I was aware that his subject matter existed but didn't know it was as prevalent as he claimed. It really opened my eyes to the destructiveness our culture has embraced, and confirmed my distaste for what some call "progress." The book is dead serious.

I always felt like a cultural misfit since I didn't succumb to the '70s sex, drugs, and rock n roll mantra. Perky tits and a tight ass are nice to look at but at some point you have to have a conversation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by drlemcor View Post
    I'm in Nicaragua for a couple of reasons that all build upon each other: 1) Down here my money stretches farther. 2) Because my money stretches farther, I have more time to work on my passion (writing). 3) I get inspired with the natural beauty in Nicaragua. This inspiration makes me a more prolific writer. 4) I get inspired with the raw and unfiltered society (or maybe the lack thereof) in Nicaragua, and this (once again) makes me a more prolific writer.
    The fate of most expat writers is to be second rate because most of us don't have any deep understanding of the local culture and think the exoticism will make up for not actually having any complex subject matter. Most expat novels are about other expats, with a background of colorful cliches about the locals. Very few of us ever meet the locals who make things happen in their countries and even fewer actually get to know them well. This is especially true for single expat men who find that middle class and upper class women won't have anything to do with them (even more true in Costa Rica from what I've heard). Most people's best writing is about their home culture which they know intimately whether to love it or hate it. The middle class and upper class women might marry gringos, but only if they've met them while in an American university or something similar.

If you haven't sold anything in four years, enjoy what you're doing as a hobby, but don't make life decisions around being a writer.

Blog Entries

Writing just for the sake of writing is a great way to get to know yourself.

Writing for profit, to earn a living requires discipline and practiced skill with the language, and usually much sacrifice. It is a job. It helps to have a bankroll and a strong sense of self-importance.

Writing to communicate something that's never been said, a seed idea for humankind, demands insight beyond mere genius, it needs the equivalent of divine inspiration. It might be literature, poetry/song, or a mathematical/scientific communication - it is art. It fulfills our craving for beauty. Ars longa, vita brevis

Writing on internet blogs is like creating sculptures of sand or ice. Something temporary, for those who pass by to enjoy or not. Cheerios.

Blog Entries

Graham Greene managed both, to depict the shallowness of ex-pats in "Travels With My Aunt," and a deeper local knowledge with, " The Power and the Glory." "Our Man in Havana" was a fun story, too.

I'd say lots of writers in general are doomed to 2nd rate status by failing to know their culture, foreign or domestic. You don't need to be an ex pat to be shallow

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hmmm, a friend who spent much time in Nic said the same thing. "With a Latin woman, what do you talk about after the 3rd date?" If he had access to upper class women he might have had a different idea, but unless you have a business here or are really determined to marry, that is not likely.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Quote Originally Posted by MizBrown View Post
    The fate of most expat writers is to be second rate because most of us don't have any deep understanding of the local culture and think the exoticism will make up for not actually having any complex subject matter. Most expat novels are about other expats, with a background of colorful cliches about the locals. Very few of us ever meet the locals who make things happen in their countries and even fewer actually get to know them well. This is especially true for single expat men who find that middle class and upper class women won't have anything to do with them (even more true in Costa Rica from what I've heard). Most people's best writing is about their home culture which they know intimately whether to love it or hate it. The middle class and upper class women might marry gringos, but only if they've met them while in an American university or something similar.

If you haven't sold anything in four years, enjoy what you're doing as a hobby, but don't make life decisions around being a writer.

I suggest that the poster was not talking about writing about Nicaragua,,or Nicaragua expats,, simply using Nicaragua as an affordable base to pursue his passion. One CAN live cheaply in Nicaraagua.

As far as, ...'If you haven't sold anything in four years . . " Many writers go their entire lives without any financial success. Some are discovered after they die. Among the hundreds I printed books for over the years,, I would say that financial success was a lesser motivation.

It's far easier to get your stuff out there these days with self publishing, Kindle,, and possibly an infinite number of niches exist that were not possible to address earlier with traditional publishing,, where a minimum number of books HAD to be sold for the author's work to see the light of day.

I knew one young lady whose books I published. She found a niche in "Christian Romance", intense and torrid descriptions of love without the explicit sex scenes. She sold her paperbacks wherever Christian organizations congregated, and her Kindle version via Amazon.

Another, a mother whose exceptional son died prematurely in a river rafting accident, just wanted to share and document how special her son was. Writing and publishing a book was her means of accomplishing this, and also, achieving some measure of closure to her her loss.

Her son was dead, but her book lived on.

Blog Entries

This was so well told and so politely framed that I would like to suggest that KeyWestPirate be designated the official Adult on TRN.

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    I suggest that the poster was not talking about writing about Nicaragua,,or Nicaragua expats,, simply using Nicaragua as an affordable base to pursue his passion. One CAN live cheaply in Nicaraagua.

As far as, ...'If you haven't sold anything in four years . . " Many writers go their entire lives without any financial success. Some are discovered after they die. Among the hundreds I printed books for over the years,, I would say that financial success was a lesser motivation.

It's far easier to get your stuff out there these days with self publishing, Kindle,, and possibly an infinite number of niches exist that were not possible to address earlier with traditional publishing,, where a minimum number of books HAD to be sold for the author's work to see the light of day.

I knew one young lady whose books I published. She found a niche in "Christian Romance", intense and torrid descriptions of love without the explicit sex scenes. She sold her paperbacks wherever Christian organizations congregated, and her Kindle version via Amazon.

Another, a mother whose exceptional son died prematurely in a river rafting accident, just wanted to share and document how special her son was. Writing and publishing a book was her means of accomplishing this, and also, achieving some measure of closure to her her loss.

Her son was dead, but her book lived on.

Blog Entries

Making money off the wannabes who'd be better off self-publishing an e-book or getting copies printed by a printer is better than using a vanity press. We're very happy that we kept my father out of the clutches of the vanity press publishers.

W.H. Auden, who actually knew what he was talking about said that more people got more recognition than they deserved than failed to get recognition.

Blog Entries

Basically, the advantage of a commercial press is that it does lend a work an authenticity that self-publishing and vanity press publishing don't give. Distribution is better because the house lends its authority to the book and because commercial houses know how to distribute books better than most small presses. Any writer who is doing work that would have a wider audience than his family and friends will be a fool not to try it because it takes writing to a whole different level than amateur work (and this is true whether he keeps his day job or not). I'll be blunt. People who can write well enough to make a living at writing generally do make a living at writing or editing, though perhaps not as writers of fiction. I tell young wannabes to get a job writing anything for an audience that has its own needs. My working on a weekly newspaper in rural Virginia helped me get over bohemia. People who do something else until retirement and then write have decided that something else was more important to them than writing.

With anything, trying to go beyond one's superficial quitting points tends to be the way to improving.

About one writer was arguably discovered after she died -- Emily Dickinson, and she had readers in her day, just few that were particularly perceptive. Most people, even well-published people, will not be discovered after they're dead. What's known of William Dean Howells beyond The Rise of Silas Lapham? Best seller in his day, only read by scholars of the period now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    Hmmm, a friend who spent much time in Nic said the same thing. "With a Latin woman, what do you talk about after the 3rd date?" If he had access to upper class women he might have had a different idea, but unless you have a business here or are really determined to marry, that is not likely.

What does a marginally literate gringo guy who hasn't read Spanish literature, see Latin American movies, doesn't know Latin American art have to bring to the table with his bad Spanish and his big fat wallet?

Blog Entries

A very literate, athletic 35ish man who has lived in 5 countries and who gets along in 3 languages who needs to meet upscale Latin women of like caliber! This is tough in cowtowns, where the women have not read Spanish literature, seen Latin American movies of any substance, and haven't seen Latin American art.

Blog Entries

Touché!

Blog Entries

A very literate, athletic 35ish man who has lived in 5 countries and who gets along in 3 languages who needs to meet upscale Latin women of like caliber! This is tough in cowtowns, where the women have not read Spanish literature, seen Latin American movies of any substance, and haven't seen Latin American art.
    If a man is foolish enough to live where only gringos and the poor live full time, he's got what he had coming. I know people in Jinotega who have read Spanish literature, have seen Latin American movies of substance, and one has been with me to Mexico City to look at the museums there.

Gets along in three languages = isn't really fluent in any of them.

I know someone who read Tolstoy in the original Russian -- and this is Jinotega (though he only visits his sister here and lives in Managua).

Helps not to be a jerk, too, and helps even more if one is willing to consider women his own age who are lawyers and doctors, not women under 20.

Most guys who complain about women are the one who need to take a close look at themselves in the mirror and take the Harvard University Subconcious Biases test. Having the fantasy that one is superior to all Nicaraguans tends to drive self-respecting people away.

A friend who worked in tourism in Honduras told me when I was coming down here to avoid single expat men as they all had issues. Sometimes, the issues are relatively harmless, but some times the issues is that they're oblivious to how they present themselves to Nicaraguans. Or oblivious to the stupidity of trying to turn a little uneducated gold digger into a life partner. If you want intelligent partners, you look among the doctoras, the dentists, the lawyers, and the women with high level jobs of various kinds. Most of those don't look to international drifters, however fit, as partners.

And if your chosen pueblo in Nicaragua doesn't have at least two branch universities and isn't the department's seat of government, yeah, you're not particularly likely to find anyone to have conversations with.

One real issue here is that single gringo guys have to prove that they're not whore hoppers, pedophiles, adulterers, drunks, druggies, or amazingly oblivious. And the reason they have to prove that they're not those things is because so many of gringo men and at least some gringo women are here because they are at least one of those things. The guys who married a Nicaraguan their age and who have stable relationships are rarer than the guys who pick the hot young women after their wallets and then whine that they have nothing in common with those women.

I think a large percentage of this is that the guys who come down here have insufficient game to get a woman in the US who would be from a shared culture and they can't see that it's their problem and continue to blame the women for things not working out. The parallel with wannabes is that they're always sure that their writing is just fine and doesn't need to be improved and getting published by commercial houses requires connections. No, it requires writing better, developing the ability to read oneself objectively and not through the haze of ego, and then go and do better. Every wannabe who never got anywhere tended to stall out at the ego-intoxication phase, sure that the writing was already great.

If a guy wants to do better as a writer, or better as a lover, he's go to look at what's not working now. Same is true for women. It's really funny that right wing guys can prescribe self-responsiblity in economic issues and not in why they don't meet women with whom they can have intelligent conversations about Jose Marti in any language at all. It ain't the women, who like any number of other women vary all over the map. It's the gringos.

I met a guy who has a string of cheating wives. He had women friends who were sane, reasonable and intelligent, one a business woman that I'd also met, but he wasn't attracted to them. He'd ask them if there was something wrong with him as a man. And we'd watch him always always be attracted to floozies, to women who were not sane, reasonable or intelligent. He wasn't going for women who would be faithful.

Humans, argh.
    Last edited by MizBrown; 05-30-2017 at 05:56 PM. Reason: totally fed up with bs

Blog Entries

Dude, I know that you hustled wannabes for money to print their books and that you had these lines for them to get them to open their wallets. Basically, one side of me feels that wannabes with egos bigger than their critical facilities have it coming. The difference between professional and amateur is nobody praises a professional for merely showing up.

Even my small press publisher pays royalties and doesn't ask me to contribute to the cost of publishing my books. People who take advantage of the uneducated and uninformed may be running a business, but not one that takes being able to find things that total strangers will pay money for. Hustling wannabes is easy. Most people who teach creative writing classes know how to do this (if everyone who sold more than five novels taught two people a decade, we'd more than replace ourselves as commercial writers, but we couldn't make livings as creative writing teachers).

Also, if your wife returns to you, it will be the first woman I've known of in my life who returned to a man she left. Guys leave women and come back -- in my experience, women who leave men don't, but you may have the exception there.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Best line: Read here I think.

I am here because I am not all there...
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

We are here to do penance for being successful in a previous life!

Blog Entries

We are here to do penance for being successful in a previous life!

Most people are successful because of the contexts of their culture as much as anything they did. Switch cultures, and the context is different. I know one long term expat here who has done well, married a Nicaraguan woman his age when they were both young, knows Nicaraguan upper class people because he was their professor at university, has a keen interest in Nicaraguan history, and likes here quite a lot. Doubt his life course would have been better in the US.

People who need to belittle Nicaraguans should move back home. Getting stuck here and whining about it is tedious to hear or read. Successful Nicaraguans are generally quite smart -- my second landlord runs a cybercafe, sells laptops, knows both Nicaraguan and American cinema, used to be a motorbike races. He's been to the US and wouldn't ever want to live there. I've heard that he didn't start out well off, but made the money he has, without any help from the roving hordes of gringo do-gooders. Making a decent living here takes more, not less, intelligence than doing the same in the US.

One person about six or seven years ago was going to get into tourism and coffee here and talked all sorts of grand plans and said something about in five years, we'd all be raking in the money from tourism and land deals. It's seven years since he first fantasized about this and he's not marketing coffee, not opening a hotel, and most of the grand fantasies about investing in tourism venues in the north central mountains are pretty much dead or supported by family money. In north central Nicaragua, gringos seem up here to be able to get things built (at least two of them here), but seem to be lacking in the ability to either pick a good location or do sustained work needed to make a tourism venue even marginally profitable, and none of them seems to have done due diligence on what sorts of tourists mountain areas world wide get (local and regional).

The fantasy is that because they were successful at something else in the US, they'll be fantastically competitive with Nicaraguans at anything they chose to do that they've never had any experience. And they expect people to listen to their plans. The writing world has a custom of shutting people down when they start talking about work they're going to do, saying that talking about it destroys doing it, that you talk away the energy needed to write the work. I suspect it's also that most people who need an audience for what they're going to do in any line of human endeavor aren't really going to do it. They like the fantasy of their success, not the reality of getting there.

It IS very different here (in the north),, and requires adaptation to survive. One very big difference in the north is the market. North of Estelí there is less and less and less tourism,, and less and less money in the hands of the local people. What tourism there is, is often more backpackers looking for a $10 bunk and a $2 meal.

Any number of people up here are still waiting for the tourists to show up,, have made some significant investment, and the investment has been in place for years. Until the better spending tourists show there is little opportunity, gringo or Nica. There are some exceptions.

The required investment at this point simply doesn't support the return. Simple things, like a stretch of unpaved road that the tourist buses will not travel, can mean the difference between success or lack thereof.
    Any number of good ideas, or attractive infrastructure, or great food, means little if there is no market.
    I've watched one place struggle, Nica owned, for four years. They have close to zero clientele.

Local Nicas as a market? Maybe Estelí and south. There are some great and pricey restaurants in Estelí that cater to Nica and Gringo alike. Lot of disposable income in Estelí.

And,, it's horse and cart. We had some large medical brigade working a few miles from my farm. They traveled from Estelí every day, at least two hours each way, and even brought box lunches from Estelí. We don't even have a comedor among several communities here -much less a hotel where they could stay.

Once they pave the last stretch of the road,, we become part of the Ruta de Cafe It will still be years until tourists abound north of Estelí.

In the meantime, the views are beautiful, the climate is salubrious (this year has been unusually wet and cool), and the living is cheap and easy. We have close to zero biting insects, the air is pure, as is the water.
    It's never hot and muggy, indeed we sleep with an electric blanket.

Lacking: A community.

As the POLL originally asked: Way are you in Nicaragua?
    A retiree could indeed live here on a minimum pension,, and live well.

Blog Entries

‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

You can rent a house on Corn Island cheaper than a room in the sticks.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

As far as tourism in the north, the fatal law is the govmint. I am speaking about Tisey and Miraflor in particular. Many brave souls, furrin and Nica, have invested for years waiting for the govmint to pave the roads. Worse yet, they don't even maintain the dirt roads they have. I would love to buzz up to Cerro Tisey once a month, do the hike and have lunch and a little quiet time, but after getting myself and the truck beat up too many times I skip it and only go when we have guests in from out of town. And the tourism they have is not what the NGOs expected, but overnighters from MGA and daytrippers from Esteli. At this time, the best way to see the north is on a commercial tour where somebody else does the work. This boosts the cost, which keeps out the backpackers and cheapskates, but is the most bang for the buck.

Obras, no palabras, the big signs on the Panam are nice, but pave the roads.

Some good news, they have announced they are going to put 4 lanes thru Esteli. Talk is cheap and they have quality issues and timeframe problems, but avoiding the blight going thru Esteli will greatly improve transportation in the north. They are currently putting adoquin to the Salto, making it an easy tourist destination, but the rest of Tisey is still a poorly maintained dirt road.

As far as tourism in the north, the fatal law is the govmint. I am speaking about Tisey and Miraflor in particular. Many brave souls, furrin and Nica, have invested for years waiting for the govmint to pave the roads. Worse yet, they don't even maintain the dirt roads they have. I would love to buzz up to Cerro Tisey once a month, do the hike and have lunch and a little quiet time, but after getting myself and the truck beat up too many times I skip it and only go when we have guests in from out of town. And the tourism they have is not what the NGOs expected, but overnighters from MGA and daytrippers from Esteli. At this time, the best way to see the north is on a commercial tour where somebody else does the work. This boosts the cost, which keeps out the backpackers and cheapskates, but is the most bang for the buck.

Obras, no palabras, the big signs on the Panam are nice, but pave the roads.

Some good news, they have announced they are going to put 4 lanes thru Esteli. Talk is cheap and they have quality issues and timeframe problems, but avoiding the blight going thru Esteli will greatly improve transportation in the north. They are currently putting adoquin to the Salto, making it an easy tourist destination, but the rest of Tisey is still a poorly maintained dirt road.

I agree, it's the roads more than anything else.

Estelí is booming,, prospering,, thanks mostly to the tobacco. Campo people come from many miles around to work the construction in Estelí,, often spending the week and going home for a day.

Visit La Colonia anytime: Nicas have money and are spending it.

Exhausting working the construction from a distance, but the money is fantastic and consistent for a young campo guy who is motivated to work like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123