Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to managua for visa

Blog Entries

Default Going to managua for visa

Howsit Amigos!.......Me and my buddy are going to Mangua from Matagalpa next week to extend our visas....(500 cords/month to 3 months?)......My buddy wants to make a day trip out of it......Any tips from y'all?........(bargain restaurants, hotels, etc.....) PS- My visa is currently in day 73........
    It's ALL small stuff........

Default Re: Going to managua for visa

They usually give people a tough time if they renew that far in advance, they like you to be right at that 90 day mark. One time i was at 88 and they told me they wouldnt do it.
    This last time i was at 89 and they did it no problem

I rent out rooms in my place on the cheap, but im all full up in october for a group renting out the place.
    I like hootors in bello horizonte personally though.

Generally i eat street food, but for bargain restaurants id say hit up 2x1 sushi at sushi itto for lunch. Tacos charros near rotunda centroamerica for a little mexican for dinner, and on carretera masaya outside the gym across from the hilton there are a line of food trucks open really late for a midnight snack.

For activities....climb the big hill across from the usa embassy for free and overlook the whole city. Go to the newly redone waterfront and parks up there and go for a walk. Do some shopping in oriental for the stuff you cant find in matagalpa (substitute oriental with pricesmart, depending on the type of shopper you are).

Blog Entries

Thanx for tips, Vinyl........Anybody else had trouble extending in advance?.......

Blog Entries

I procrastinate too much to extend in advance. Usually I cross the border to nearby La Cruz, CR (a beautiful, lonely spot) for a day or so and loop back, but CR is making all that more difficult what with requiring an exit ticket ($25-bus) & charging gringos $7 to leave now. Not sure how it compares bottom-line to visiting he Metro Centro mall office. (With the bus ticket I'd go to Liberia for the full trip back to Managua.)

I was told the charge to extend your visa is 50 cords per day added. 90 days works out to cost about $171. So suffering the border crossing may still be cheaper - if you're up for adventure & a change of scene.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Splurge! One of the best parts of my first couple years here were the 1 week trips to San Jose-- restaurants, museums, parks, even a few decadent moments in a for-real donut shop.Even chinese restaurants to be had. why piddlefart with pesky border people trying to do their job when you can vacation a week in someplace nice and sail back accross the border with no problem. Need to get back into an annual trip to San Jose, just because.

As far an Managua, Macdonalds is nice for breakfast because they are open and have coffee, etc. Gojia Godoy by plaza intur is a decent sitdown restaurant.
    When I am there by myself I don`t like to go to fancy restaurants, so the restaurant in La Colonia or the ones in the metrocentro mall work for me. I`ve even been known to have my semi-annual hot dog at pricemart. there was a good pasta joint in the Sta. Domingo mall.

managua is so spread out you need to find restaurants near where you are going to be.

Blog Entries

Chucky, You will have trouble doing it in advance. They do not like doing it more than a day or 2 advance
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post

I was told the charge to extend your visa is 50 cords per day added. 90 days works out to cost about $171. So suffering the border crossing may still be cheaper - if you're up for adventure & a change of scene.

The 2 dollar a day thing is their late fee. not the standard fee to renew. If you renew its 500 cords for a month (about 19 dollars per month), so a 90 day extension is around 60 dollars, not 171 if you do it on time and havent overstayed your previous visa.

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Maybe check this place out while you're in Managua? Es muy rustico and we didn't try any food, but the menu is a hoot. Cold Toñas were only 25 cords a bottle. Sorry for the picture quality, I had been at a football game (and y'all know that means beers...). Between km 14.5 and km 15 on Carretera Masaya.

"Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Blog Entries

FuckerLand, Mel you are getting worse than me. STAY HOME.......
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

This not being able to extend visa in advance is something I hadn't heard of........Extension done at Office of Immigration (Direccion General de Migracion y Extranjeria)....right?....

Active TRN Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chuky View Post
    This not being able to extend visa in advance is something I hadn't heard of........Extension done at Office of Immigration (Direccion General de Migracion y Extranjeria)....right?....
    Yes, and you can also do it at the Migracion office in Metrocentro.

They do not like to extend the visa more than 2 or 3 days in advance and will send you away if you try to extend more than 2 or 3 working days in advance.

As for people for basically live year-round here by extending their 90-day tourism visa by extending it for another 90 days and then going to CR and returning on the same day, thus living here on a tourism visa year
    -round and leaving the country for only one day per year .... the Immigration people are cracking down on this. Their computers are now tied into a database. When they swipe your passport they get an instant read-out that profiles people such as this. If you fit the profile, they will give a hard time about extending your visa and will often refuse to extend it for 90 days. Instead, they will extend it for only 30 days and tell you that it will not be extended at all the next time you try it.

Daddy-yo is right about the CR stuff. CR now charges a $7 departure tax for people crossing from CR to Nicaragua by land. You can pay it at several bucket shops on the CR side of the border and you can also pay it at any branch of Banco Lafise or Bancredito in CR. I like to do it at a bank in CR rather than the border. The transaction is fast and the bank will not charge you an extra fee -- all you pay is $7. At the border however, it is one more chore of many involved in crossing when you are in a hurry to do so, you will be charged an extra fee, and don´t do it with a credit card instead of cash -- several people have been scammed on their cards for doing so.

As Dy mentioned, when you enter Cr from Nicaragua by land you must show proof that you have bought passage out of CR, which at a minimum will cost you $25 in the form of a bus ticket which you can buy at bucket shops at the border before you enter CR. If you buy one of these without intending to use it, don´t throw it away -- it is good for 6 months and thus re-usable. Nonetheless, note that the ticket is registered in you name and is non-refundable and non-transferable.

Alternatively, you can reserve a seat on an outfit like Tica Bus. A return trip from any Tica Bus stop in Nicaragua to any in CR and back again currently costs $56. Of course it includes the bus passage and the requirement to show the CR immigration folks that you have paid for a bus ticket out of the country.

Another benefit of booking passage on outfits like Tica Bus is that they have made arrangements with Nicaraguan immigration that speeds your passage across the border considerably. Believe me, it is a lot less time-consuming and stressful to cross the border back into Nicaragua on Tica Bus than doing it on your own.

I do not want to needlessly alarm anyone with this information. I do know people who live year-round here by extending their 90-day tourism visa for another 90 days and then going to CR and returning on the same day, thus living here on a tourism visa year round, and they have had no problems in doing so. But I am suggesting that sooner or later this way of doing things will come to an end, and that people who are used to doing so should put their minds now to making other arrangements.

I hope this feedback is of some use to you.
    Last edited by Mikeh; 09-28-2014 at 08:42 PM.

eh. ive been hearing they are cracking down on perpetual tourists for years now. I havent had it get harder over time. In fact, i think the first couple times i did it it was the hardest. The last times have been a breeze.
    Ive also never had anyone swipe my passport. In fact, this last time, they wanted a copy of my incoming stamp, but they never even asked to look at my passport. I could have used anyones copy of their stamp, ha.
    Last 2 times ive never had to hand over my passport, though i did have to "show" it once two times ago, just to prove i had one.

Also, all of my friends who have crossed into CR in the last few weeks have said they werent asked for onward travel. Last time i crossed the border a couple months ago they had taken down the posters that said it was required, and said that since they were going to start charging they wouldnt ask for it. I dont trust that though, and wouldnt take the chance.

I bought an open ended ticket a long time ago. Its open ended for a year, and each year i go to Ticabus and say that i didnt use it in time, and i would like to extend the dates. They wont give you a refund, but they will print out a new ticket good for another year. So i paid 25 bucks a few years ago, and nothing since, and always have ticket in hand when making the crossing just in case they ask.

Blog Entries

Thanx, Mikeh! Super good info/insights!..........

Blog Entries

Like many things here, experiences may vary... Every time have had my passport scanned. Never been asked for onward travel on the CR side, have had people next to me and in front of me asked, they have never asked me.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    Splurge! One of the best parts of my first couple years here were the 1 week trips to San Jose-- restaurants, museums, parks, even a few decadent moments in a for-real donut shop.Even chinese restaurants to be had. why piddlefart with pesky border people trying to do their job when you can vacation a week in someplace nice and sail back accross the border with no problem. Need to get back into an annual trip to San Jose, just because.

As far an Managua, Macdonalds is nice for breakfast because they are open and have coffee, etc. Gojia Godoy by plaza intur is a decent sitdown restaurant.
    When I am there by myself I don`t like to go to fancy restaurants, so the restaurant in La Colonia or the ones in the metrocentro mall work for me. I`ve even been known to have my semi-annual hot dog at pricemart. there was a good pasta joint in the Sta. Domingo mall.

managua is so spread out you need to find restaurants near where you are going to be.
    IN FACT, THAT'S WHAT I WILL BE DOING IN EARLY JANUARY.......WHEN PLANNING TRIP I GOT A ROUND TRIP TICKET MANAGUA - SAN JOSE (Obitz $352) WITH A TWO AND A HALF WEEK LAYOVER............

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    Usually I cross the border to nearby La Cruz, CR (a beautiful, lonely spot) for a day or so and loop back,
    La Cruz is a pretty spot.
    Ernie K Doe

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    La Cruz is a pretty spot.
    There is a big house on the west side of the main street in La Cruz, across from the two big markets, owned by a Nica lawyer who works in Liberia and his Spanish wife. Manuel, I think. They have a little restaurant, and a big deck that hangs over the cliff. Saeco coffee maker. $20 as I remember, AC and widow makers for hot water, although mine didn't work last time. It has a big sign, but can't remember the name. Parking, if you drive. WiFi

For another buck or two you can bus to Liberia, and from there to Playa Coco. Laura's B&B charges $40 and that includes breakfast. Across the street is a Rasta operation owned by some guy from Jamaica, popular with backpackers, and a range of prices. Laura and her daughter both speak excellent English, and of course the Rasta guy does too, with a Jamaican lilt.

If you stay in Liberia, Hotel Wilson is absolutely the best bet, but it fills up during the week. Weekend, never a problem. There are two, I prefer the one to the SE, but probably because I have some friends there. Nicaraguan help.

And indeed, as el duende grande says, SJO is NOT that much farther, especially if you ride the bus. Hotels have gotten pricey, but there IS a lot there. I don't have any good recommendation for a well priced place to stay in San Jose.

Active TRN Member

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    There is a big house on the west side of the main street in La Cruz, across from the two big markets, owned by a Nica lawyer who works in Liberia and his Spanish wife. Manuel, I think. They have a little restaurant, and a big deck that hangs over the cliff. Saeco coffee maker. $20 as I remember, AC and widow makers for hot water, although mine didn't work last time. It has a big sign, but can't remember the name. Parking, if you drive. WiFi

For another buck or two you can bus to Liberia, and from there to Playa Coco. Laura's B&B charges $40 and that includes breakfast. Across the street is a Rasta operation owned by some guy from Jamaica, popular with backpackers, and a range of prices. Laura and her daughter both speak excellent English, and of course the Rasta guy does too, with a Jamaican lilt.

If you stay in Liberia, Hotel Wilson is absolutely the best bet, but it fills up during the week. Weekend, never a problem. There are two, I prefer the one to the SE, but probably because I have some friends there. Nicaraguan help.

And indeed, as el duende grande says, SJO is NOT that much farther, especially if you ride the bus. Hotels have gotten pricey, but there IS a lot there. I don't have any good recommendation for a well priced place to stay in San Jose.
    I ditto Hotel Wilson. $36 per night gets you a tiny room but spotlessly clean, 24-hour hot water, quiet, ac, cable tv with lots of English channels. One problem I have in Liberia is that I only visit it when I am on a budget and have trouble finding low-cost eateries. Used to love splurging at the Toro steakhouse but their prices are now out of sight.

Blog Entries

Couple of the grocery stores in Liberia have eateries with low prices. Good food too.

The place KW Pirate mentioned in La Cruz is Amelia´s I believe, amazing views.
    Ernie K Doe

Amalia's

and yes, that place is amazing with an amazing view. I stay there everytime we go to Costa Rica for a crossing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    The place KW Pirate mentioned in La Cruz is Amelia´s I believe, amazing views.
    Never stayed there, but I enjoyed the same view from the place next door, watching those glorious sunsets from the second floor balcony, sipping wine bought at the duty-free while crossing the border, munching on bread from La Cruz's bakery and CR cheese from the super. A California artist (or bureaucrat turned artist) had built the place, with all American plumbing fixtures he shipped down. The place was like a museum to his art, some of it pretty good. He had died before our first visit and his heirs hadn't worked out what was to become of the place. Very clean, $15 for a single, $25 double, but the last time I went to check it out they seemed to have closed shop, pulled their signs.

I stayed at the Dutchman's place at the top of the hill on the road to the seaside resorts; it's cheap, but not so clean. Now I stay at a place in town called the Hotel La Mirador which is spotless, full cable with big flatscreen TV, wi-fi and hot shower - priced just under $30, depending on how the Colon is standing up to the dollar.

Blog Entries

Re: La Cruz, I had to look back at my records. That house next door was called the Hotel Amalia Inn. I was there just a few months ago. That closed to guests and the house on its north side opened as Amalia's, with a little cafe-dining patio cliffside. I didn't like the rooms they showed me.

Re: Liberia, CR, we have stayed in a few places. The Hotel Liberia was OK, nothing to shout about, and sort of pricey at $40 for two. Got stuck in Hotel Guanacaste cause of a week long festival in town that left every other hotel full. $35 for two in a jail cell size room with TV. If you're feel ritzy - after changing dollars for Colones you feel like a millionaire, the beautiful Hotel Boyeros on the main CR highway thru town, a block south of the intersection to the airport & coastal towns. $70 for two covered a luxurious room with balcony overlooking the lush courtyard with two pools, waterfall & slides, and plentiful deck chairs. A good breakfast is included. Were we the only guests without a car? It was just a short walk to where the Tica Bus stops (we cashed in our get-out-of-CR tickets).

Blog Entries

PS- I decided that since I'm not that familiar with Managua, I'd be better off hanging out near Metrocentro......So I booked a night at the Aloha Hotel (nearby-$65 Travelocity).....A good base, no hurry, get visa extended, possibility of taxi to other places in town............

metrocentro is a good area, lots of restaurants on the surrounding streets, too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuky View Post
    ... near Metrocentro......So I booked a night at the Aloha Hotel ...
    Say, is it just coincidental that you picked that hotel and you list your location as Kona, Hawaii ...?

Looks like a nice place, convenient too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast