Thread: Taxi/transport

Default Taxi/transport

Any suggestions for taxi or transport from Managua to Leon other than bus?

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Taxi/transport

Quote Originally Posted by bradley40550 View Post

Now by "Bus" I think you mean chicken bus..

There is a very nice, air-conditioned, modern, Greyhound like, bus that leaves mercado israel for Leon.. I want to say every hour, but it may be every 2 hours.

Last time we took it was 2010.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=bill_bly_ca;142358]Now by "Bus" I think you mean chicken bus..

QUOTE]

... I am gone have to "Fold My Wings" on that comment Bill......
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Back in the day I had to take the bus to Chinandega from the mercado Israel. Some young guy started trying to grab my backpack so I yanked it free and popped him in the chops. Laid him out actually well they were all screaming and yelling at me and calling over the law which back then were Sandi soldiers. Turns out he worked with the bus driver loading luggage. I felt like a turd but a twenty and a pack of camel filters got me off the hook. Those were chicken buses

Blog Entries

Go to UCA, the 'terminal' across from the University of Central America, and get in one of the two lines of vans, called 'inter-locales' that go direct to Leon. Usually takes 2 hours and costs 51 cords (saves a lot of hassle if you've got the one cord coin to give 'em). They hold 15 passengers, most are comfortable & some are air-conditioned. They leave when they're full. Most professionals (without cars) & students who live in Leon & commute rely on them. The service runs all day 6 AM or so to around 9 PM.

These "bus stations" look temporary, like some bivouac for an army on the march, no pavement, just gravel/dirt &/or mud, but they flourished in that state for more than 10 years now. For that matter, much of Nicaragua looks like folks are just camping out, a nation of gypsies. One might attribute that to their recent wars, the general poverty of the 'masses' or it might be traced to the modern, century-long liberation of 'los peones' from the lands of 'los patrones' that created a landless population of many squatters. (Oops, sorry, I took a detour.)
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

There are a number of transport companies that do private trips for tourists. Depending on how specific your schedule is, you may want to contact them and see when they will be coming to bring someone from the airport or wherever. Maybe you can split the private van.
    My friend gives rides in his brand new car. But he is basically taxi prices.

Taxi prices ok just need reliable.

well get in touch if you need a reservation, and ill put you in touch with my buddy and see if he is available then.

Blog Entries

Robert Ow.....Great guy! Lives in Managua, is from Big Corn.

mr.owtransportation@yahoo.com

8 851 6232
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Blasted Taxis in Port at present, well some of them anyway...

I was alone in one in the back seat and just the driver on the way home WITH ALL THE WINDERS DOWN...

And I had to Fart, so I leaned over to one side for ease of the release, and to maintain control if it might just turn into a "Wet One" I have not yet had that happen IN A TAXI...

The driver pissed a bitch, and I am sure had we not been so close to my wooden shack he would have put me out on the road.

Ok I can forgive that one, it was a real stinker, even had me sticking my head out the winder. (Moma always said it was a sorry Skunk that couldn't stand his own smell, and that one was a bit historic)

But I have found to be almost as many taxi drivers with courtesy and those without in wanting to go to a destination.

Got in one this AM to go to the plant, and I had several things to do, wanted to get them done and then go to another plant. Today was a nasty four lettered word for me called WORK.

Got in the taxi after making a deal on the price for the destination "de prisa" with my youngest daughter going with me as a "Guarda de Espalda" as I joke with her in her going with her father.

Rascal stopped later for another rider and asked where she was going.. A El Muelle she said, and the driver told her to get in.

Got to the hospital turn off where it is quickest to go to the plant and the driver kept on a going straight. Pissed me off I knew where this was headed and would double my ride time, but there WAS another turn off just up the road a piece what he could have taken.

He didn't take a left and took a right towards the dock, away from my destination.

I said "Hey dejar mi aqui" YA!

He stopped the car, I got out, told my daughter to get out and we left the taxi right then.

She asked me, "Daddy did you pay that taxi?"

No Sweetheart, I did not, I want you to learn the driver was very discourteous to both of us and also to the other woman for not asking "De Prisa" (you in a hurry) so let him bitch about it my darling and see if I care!
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

My uncle used Robert for transport and can not say enough about his great service, thanks.

Blog Entries

I will pass your comments along.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.