Thread: The rains

Active TRN Member

Default The rains

:45 pm on Saturday night. Un-effing-believable amounts of rain and lightning here in Jinotepe. Hour after hour after hour after hour. As with last night. Tomorrow´s forecast: worse. The Nicaragua monsoon is in full force.
    Just took a call from the cuidadora of my fincacita in Masatepe. I had to take it in the washroom with the door closed because the sound of the rain on my roof was so loud it was the only place I could make out what she was saying.
    The winds tore off one of the zinc laminas on the roof of her ranchito and now she and her family are flooded out. So I am about to get into my Daihatsu Terios 4X4 and drive down flooded roads in a pitch-black night and a deluge of biblical proportions to get her and her three grandkids to a dry place.
    Then on my way back I need to check in to la prometida´s house to make sure she and the two kids are ok.
    Tomorrow I will drive back to Masatepe through a pounding thunderstorm to survey the damage to the ranchito and figure out how to get the materials I need to repair it by the end of the day on a Sunday in the middle of nowhere in one the most primitive four corners of the earth.
    Yes folks, it really is possible to contract pneumonia in the tropics.
    God bless my little Daihatsu Terios, the rugged, stripped-down, tough little sonofabitch 4X4 that was built for just this type of night in the undeveloped world. If I was not already betrothed to la prometida and a car could have breasts I would marry it.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-29679163
    The good news: No seismic activity tonight.

Default Re: The rains

Be safe driving on flooded roads

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The rains

The Rain's came down and the floods came up and water in the well went Rojo, the ice Tambien, and everyone was blaming everything for it, instead of looking for the PROBLEM...

Hahaha it was easy to point out on a new dug well that had not seasoned in and all the run off ran down it because of a lack of proper Sanitary Seal.

I guess we have had over the last month and a half, 3 deluges of 7 day's duration, followed be 2 day's of no rain and the water in the well is red.. From the red clay dirt.

I think I am going to have to invest in a Cayuco.. That will do it!
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...