Thread: A Pirate's Life

Default A Pirate's Life

is great, except when it comes to keeping everything updated.

We're in a strange time, before I die I assume we'll see biometric identification that will eliminate the myriad passwords we have to remember. You'll look into the built in camera on your laptop or computer monitor, and provide a retina scan. I can't wait.

I have a generic password that meets 99.9% of the whimsical requirements of most sites, but Social Security wanted something else. So I have to write it down and tape it to the side of the printer. Some security.

This all came about when I "moved". My Humana Advantage plan doesn't fly in Tucson, so I had to enroll in another. There was still a zero cost plan available, although the rep initially tried to sell me something that was going to cost $100+ monthly.

To get everything squared away I had to start at the SSI site, create a user and password, and once in, I was able to update my address information. Once THAT was done, the rest went pretty easy, and I did do it all on-line (except for the intitial phone call to Humana). It's truly amazing how all these sites are inter-connected, and immediately know if you've made a typo entering your info. We live in amazing times.

One of the things that attracted me to the Humana plan was the $25K out of country emergency coverage. I haen't been to a doctor in over a year, but do believe in the annual check up and blood pull and workup. I figure my greatest risk at the moment is being hit by a truck in Nicaragua. But, who knows? The parts have to start wearing out eventually, and the price was right. And the best part: I didn't have to sign up for ObamaCare. THAT would have chapped my hide.

I owe my good health to the diet my housekeeper provides me (actually I cook as much a she does, but that big smile does more for my well-being than rice and beans),, --- and my usually moderate habits. I'll pour a trago of FDC into my coffee when I'm feeling frisky, but generally it's just Toñas,,, and not that many.

It's a good life here, even though as I write this I suspect I've picked up some parasite infestation.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: A Pirate's Life

Good you are doing well. Medicare advantage C plan is certainly one reason to NOT be a Nic. resident.--you have to be in the market area 6 months a year to qualify, so full time Nic residents are SOL. As I wade thru the numbers, regular A,B,D medicare is a financial deathtrap. although the C plan leaves you vulnerable to HMO politics, ABD plan would bleed one to death with copays in the event of a long-term or chronic disease. You pays your nickel and you takes your choice, blessed are those who die suddenly after a healthy life. I'm getting back in the VA system to try to patch together some medical contingencies.
    I think the wise move for expat retirees would be to move back to the States when they turn 65 and take lengthy visits to Nic. if they have a reason to do so. For those of us with families and property here, medical patchwork seems to be the best we can do.

It is an interconnected world. Last week I was playing on Ancestry.com to kill some time and next thing I know I get a phone call from a woman who has been looking for her brother for the past 60 years! We had a long talk and are now exchanging photos online. Seems like I have 4 sisters by my father's second wife who have been living contentedly in the Promised Land all this time as I have been wandering the world.

All this technology gets the Efficiency award, but it makes the question of human freedom sketchy. The govmint that knows everything controls everything. And have you ever seen a database that didn't have errors?

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    It is an interconnected world. Last week I was playing on Ancestry.com to kill some time and next thing I know I get a phone call from a woman who has been looking for her brother for the past 60 years! We had a long talk and are now exchanging photos online. Seems like I have 4 sisters by my father's second wife who have been living contentedly in the Promised Land all this time as I have been wandering the world.
    That's pretty cool, congrats on the new fam.

TRN Member

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    ...Medicare advantage C plan is certainly one reason to NOT be a Nic. resident.--you have to be in the market area 6 months a year to qualify, so full time Nic residents are SOL..
    7 years ago I enrolled in an HMO because it pays up to $10K per year for a life threatening emergency out of the country. Their information all gets sent to a USA address but I don't bother to have it forwarded here to read it. I use that address to pay both federal & state taxes. They call me on Skype once in a while to talk about services available. Used it once 6 yrs ago to get reimbursed for $1k bill at Pellas.
    Does this mean you gotta be careful and not mention you are out of the country? Will they access immigration to check your passages in & out of the country like the stamps on your passport? Especially if you bill them for emergency care here or return back to the US for an illness or real emergency. I would think the HMO is getting paid and not worry about the details but maybe someone else checks. Is this a real potential problem for a Nica resident?

What I was told by the insurance rep was that medicare has a rule that you must be a resident of the hmos's market area for 6 months of the year. The HMO probably doesn't care. Since my former employer's plan was the only one I was interested in I did not pursue the issue. probably a lot of Catch 22 room here.

TRN Member

Thanks - You sure gave permanent expats down here on an HMO something to think about.
    If I ever have to head back there for treatment of a serious illness I will know better than open my big mouth about being out of the country for a long time.