Thread: Some Incredible WalMart Deals

Default Some Incredible WalMart Deals

I just ordered two of these:

http://www.walmart.com/search/?query...ws&cat_id=3944

It's a hell of a good price, plus you get the advantage of a Windows OS.

I'd bought a Samsung tablet earlier for traveling, and it worked out well, except I don't have access to the plethora of software I've accumulated over the years. I paid double that for the Samsung tablet, and I thought I got a good deal on it too.

I managed to install a Telnet app on the Samsung so I could telnet into my server in Boise and service my clients, but no real keyboard slows you down immensely. I just don't fit into this new generation who live off their smartphone . . . ..

For someone who wants primarily an internet appliance, this would be perfect. Plus you have the keyboard when you want to get Windows 8 takes some getting used to . . . they dumbed it down to where you have to be really smart to make good use of it, but that's another thread . . . .

Lots of short term killer deals on WalMart ...

. PM me if you need a US shipping address
    I'm driving up on the 15th of Dec, and back down about a month later.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Some Incredible WalMart Deals

Nice find.....

I left my XP laptop on Little Corn last trip...donated it to the school.

That left me with a Samsung Droid Tablet which I detest beyond all measure.

I realize that this is probably an age related feeling.

I really need a portable device that is Windows based, even if it is 8.1.

This looks really interesting if I can install Thunderbird and Firefox on it.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

That does look like a good buy. Maybe time for me to get a tablet . . .

LCT I have the new Windows OS and I'm pretty pleased with it. I don't use any of the new "hot corners or start screen". Have most of that disabled and I just go straight to the regular old desktop screen. Pretty quick OS and it gets updated regularly. I use Thunderbird and Chrome both problem free.

Blog Entries

That is extremely good to hear.

BTW ... sent $ to build the stairs today.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

If you get something with 8.0 update to 8.1.. It is close to the old start tree, but not quite there.. Windows 8 tablet/PCs are good but you have to be sure you get one with enough HP to run the legacy stuff.. To get a real laptop/desk top replacement you still need to spend $600 and up..

e.g. An i3 or above processor.. atom is a little too lite weight...
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    If you get something with 8.0 update to 8.1.. It is close to the old start tree, but not quite there.. Windows 8 tablet/PCs are good but you have to be sure you get one with enough HP to run the legacy stuff.. To get a real laptop/desk top replacement you still need to spend $600 and up..

e.g. An i3 or above processor.. atom is a little too lite weight...
    I am not looking for a laptop/desktop replacement.

I want something that travels, lets me browse download email, and interacts in an environment that I have been used to for the last 30 years.

Effing Android and touch screens aint't it!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post

I want something that travels, lets me browse download email, and interacts in an environment that I have been used to for the last 30 years.

Really depends on your use...I receive maybe 30 financial reports a day and use an IPad...I send few emails, so the keyboard is not a major issue...the only really problem I have is searching my emails...always end up using desktop...Also have a mini IPad, but find the screen too small for my needs..
    PP

Blog Entries

I bought an "ASUS" computer because that's how "JESUS" is pronounced in Spanish, so I figured it had to be GOOD.

My wife & the fam refer to J.C. as Papa Chu. Not sure where that comes from. But everything is always a little different in Nicaragua. Viva la diferencia!
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    I bought an "ASUS" computer because that's how "JESUS" is pronounced in Spanish, so I figured he had to be GOOD.

My wife & the fam refer to J.C. as Papa Chu. Not sure where that comes from. But everything is always a little different in Nicaragua. Viva la diferencia!

Sobrenombre for Jesus is Chuy, maybe that's it??

I can't keep Moncho and Monche straight, and I'm not even sure those are right. I should make a list, memorize it and put it to bed. Luckily, I'm in with a crowd with a limited vocabulary. I just wish they would speak in some semblance of complete sentences.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Ahh.. OK.. You mentioned a laptop in your original post which I drew context from. An atom based Surface tablet will be similar to an android tablet for Horse Power.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Nice find.....

I left my XP laptop on Little Corn last trip...donated it to the school.

That left me with a Samsung Droid Tablet which I detest beyond all measure.

I realize that this is probably an age related feeling.

I really need a portable device that is Windows based, even if it is 8.1.

This looks really interesting if I can install Thunderbird and Firefox on it.

I hate my Samsung tablet too, not really hate it, but it doesn't meet my needs.
    I need something with full Acrobat, Office, and a dozen other programs,,, and not some dumb-downed app.

The tablet does work at catching email on the fly, quicker than booting a laptop, and it is great for showing pics. If that is all you are using it for, and that is what 99% of my Nica acquaintances use it for, it's OK.

Once Microsoft fixed XP it was a great OS.

Then they tried to push piece of Vista down our throats. They never even bothered to try and fix that.

Win 7 is still going through its growing pains, and yeah, I couldn't stand the original Win 8 either. It tried too hard to be a smart phone. I already have one of those.

I don't think it has anything to do with age, you just don't like getting suckered.

Blog Entries

What I have come to realize is that the "environment" that I am comfortable with consists of a keyboard, monitor, and mouse.....not a screen and index finger coupled with an ill defined and ill documented OS (Android).

The communications on LCI are such that you have to grab it (download) while you can, ....so leaving (storing) emails on a server someplace in cyberspace is not satisfactory. I need to get them (in total) when I can, respond when I can, and post when communications permit. This requires more than a browser with large bandwidth and constant communications as in first world internet. So, I need a POP account, not an IMAP account (at least that is my understanding).

Long story short, this device, while configured for high speed internet connection, may well suit my needs on LCI because of the OS, keyboard, mouse, communications issues and portability.

Also remember that high speed spinning devices with close tolerances (CD/DVD) in a salty environment do not last long.

Any flaws noted in my analysis would be appreciated.

What I have come to realize is that the "environment" that I am comfortable with consists of a keyboard, monitor, and mouse.....not a screen and index finger coupled with an ill defined and ill documented OS (Android).

The communications on LCI are such that you have to grab it (download) while you can, ....so leaving (storing) emails on a server someplace in cyberspace is not satisfactory. I need to get them (in total) when I can, respond when I can, and post when communications permit. This requires more than a browser with large bandwidth and constant communications as in first world internet. So, I need a POP account, not an IMAP account (at least that is my understanding).

Long story short, this device, while configured for high speed internet connection, may well suit my needs on LCI because of the OS, keyboard, mouse, communications issues and portability.

Also remember that high speed spinning devices with close tolerances (CD/DVD) in a salty environment do not last long.

Any flaws noted in my analysis would be appreciated.

The newer stuff is clearly designed for an environment where there is an ever-present and robust internet connection. The newer stuff generally doesn't have a real HD either, so storage is limited. For someone who tends NOT to throw things away (and just buys more and bigger HD's) that's a problem too.

No Cd/DVD because of weight and power consumption. It's it's a Windows box you can quickly and easily share a DVD drive or a HD that is on another (desktop) computer over the network. Memory has become cheap so you can buy a big SD chip reasonably.

This is where UltraViolet and other cloud services are prospering. Push your movies and music to the cloud, and it's always there for you. No need for media.

NOT Nicaragua - I struggle everyday for enough connection time to get my work done, send pictures back to friends, etc. I could post pics on a share server I have and send links, but it seems so impersonal. Rude almost.

Will any of this change? Or will NIcaragua remain a 3rd world country -albeit with a canal and a lot of Chinese looking babies? And high speed internet along the canal route?

Everyone I talk to professes a visceral disdain for the Chinese . . . .

Gringos they seem to like -and all the girls want a blue eyed baby. Ahhh, we're living in interesting times!
    Last edited by KeyWestPirate; 11-27-2014 at 09:48 AM.

Blog Entries

It is always interesting times if you are interested!

Blog Entries

BTW ... sent $ to build the stairs today.

Hope you obtained the necessary permits....
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post

“Permits, to god-damned hell with permits! We have no permits.
    In fact, we don’t need permits. I don’t have to show you any stinking permits, you god-damned cabron and ching’ tu madre!”

Freely adapted from Treasure of the Sierra Madre

This is from the book. They took most of the profanity out of the movie script.

I'd still like to know how to say "and the horse you rode in on" in Spanish

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    “Permits, to god-damned hell with permits! We have no permits.
    In fact, we don’t need permits. I don’t have to show you any stinking permits, you god-damned cabron and ching’ tu madre!”

Freely adapted from Treasure of the Sierra Madre

This is from the book. They took most of the profanity out of the movie script.

I'd still like to know how to say "and the horse you rode in on" in Spanish

That is one phrase that I would memorize as well.

Blog Entries

Already been blessed by island authorities.

This country wants to build a $50 billion interoceanic canal, and they can't even maintain a usable internet connection?

What am I missing here?

They COULD set up an intranet along the canal route, limited to canal business, with a fast connection to the backbone -somewhere.

Maybe an undersea cable to China? That's no more farfetched than the canal.

Of course, Panama didn't have much infrastructure in place when they did their canal.

Blog Entries

Already been blessed by island authorities.
    Having some Holy water splashed on your Head is nice, but sooner or later you will need a Birth Certificate.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Having some Holy water splashed on your Head is nice,...
    Speaking of bargains, we bought a soda bottle full of holy water from the Basilica (gorgeous, especially at night) in Cartago, CR. With a nice colorful label of the electrified Maria of Guadalupe.

I suppose it was kosher. But all were afraid to drink the stuff - what would happen? Aural enhancement?

I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Here's another deal.

http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=RCA+10.1%22+Tablet

If you are just looking for an internet applicance to check emails while you travel, the price is sure right.

I just ordered two of these:

http://www.walmart.com/search/?query...ws&cat_id=3944

It's a hell of a good price, plus you get the advantage of a Windows OS.

I'd bought a Samsung tablet earlier for traveling, and it worked out well, except I don't have access to the plethora of software I've accumulated over the years. I paid double that for the Samsung tablet, and I thought I got a good deal on it too.

I managed to install a Telnet app on the Samsung so I could telnet into my server in Boise and service my clients, but no real keyboard slows you down immensely. I just don't fit into this new generation who live off their smartphone . . . ..

For someone who wants primarily an internet appliance, this would be perfect. Plus you have the keyboard when you want to get Windows 8 takes some getting used to . . . they dumbed it down to where you have to be really smart to make good use of it, but that's another thread . . . .

Lots of short term killer deals on WalMart ...

. PM me if you need a US shipping address
    I'm driving up on the 15th of Dec, and back down about a month later.

Hope you obtained the necessary permits....Already been blessed by island authorities.
    How did the finalized budget look? Would like to see pics if he sends them.

Here's another deal.

http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=RCA+10.1%22+Tablet

If you are just looking for an internet applicance to check emails while you travel, the price is sure right.
    If you need to do a lot of typing, I wouldn't recommend one of those. The keyboard is extremely small.