Thread: Telecable Jinotepe - cable internet (2mb)

Default Telecable Jinotepe - cable internet (2mb)

my mother in law, who i am visiting here in Jinotepe, just signed up for cable internet. the internet works during the day but not at night. I checked the gateway status and it says "blocked". during the day the status is "allowed"

Does anyone have any idea why the internet is blocked at night? is the cable provider blocking the internet or there is just too many people using cable internet at night?

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Telecable Jinotepe - cable internet (2mb)

Quote Originally Posted by pierre View Post
    my mother in law, who i am visiting here in Jinotepe, just signed up for cable internet. the internet works during the day but not at night. I checked the gateway status and it says "blocked". during the day the status is "allowed"

Does anyone have any idea why the internet is blocked at night? is the cable provider blocking the internet or there is just too many people using cable internet at night?
    Some context needed..

Are you reading this on the computers network settings page - on the router box - or from the named server at the internet company?

You may be able to get around this by installing a VPN service like Unotelly or unblock US which provide their own rateways..

Do this..

Run (on a windows PC) netstat /-a from the command prompt.. Once in the day , once at night..

Then PM them to me via the board mail and I can tell you whatzzzzuuuppp...
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

reading the data from the modem/router/gateway.

I just noticed that the gateway doesn't get an IP address from the Internet provider. I have tried connecting the the modem/router/gateway directly to the outlet instead of the splitter, but that didn't help either (although it seemed to work initially, it eventually got disconnected again).

The modem/router/gateway does seem to get hot, so I'm leaning towards a hardware issue. I was hoping someone in the forum who has cable internet would chime in if they had the same experience.

Just an update on this...

my wife called support and the fix was to:

1. turn off the gateway
    2. unplug all cables (power, network, etc).
    3. wait 10 minutes
    4. plug all cables unplugged
    5. turn on the gateway

This seems to work, but how they heck do they expect us to do this all the time? This happens about 4 to 5 times a day/night.

I guess we'll have to see if we can get another unit that doesn't overheat.

Blog Entries

Just an update on this...

my wife called support and the fix was to:

1. turn off the gateway
    2. unplug all cables (power, network, etc).
    3. wait 10 minutes
    4. plug all cables unplugged
    5. turn on the gateway

This seems to work, but how they heck do they expect us to do this all the time? This happens about 4 to 5 times a day/night.

Ahhh - This makes sense...

First this is the generic tech support answer to "Please turn off your Modem" B/C people make mistakes in what "Off" is.

So what is it doing? - Well your modem has a unique ID called a MAC address - When you turn it on the Mac address goes to their gate way and gets an IP address. This is given to you in the form of a lease - If for some reason something goes bad with the connection there is no forced re-negotiation of the configuration until the lease renews.

Basically it is a problem on their side they do not know how to fix or do not want to fix.

Run cmd in the run window - Then type ipconfig/all in the black box.

You will see one entry for Lease obtained and another for Lease expired

If you always have trouble _after_ the lease expired time what most likely has happened is that the server gave your old IP address to someone else and closed the connection to your PC.

If you have a router you can accomplish the same result by just going into the router and "disconect" and "reconnect" by the soft buttons on its network configuration page.

If it happens again and again and again you have to make your system use internet every couple min - most routers will have a "Keep alive" check box for the internet connection - Check that - Typically this is on the page where you give your router the log in information to your modem to connect - It should not be something like "Wake on use" or something to that effect.

Blog Entries

Apparently Telecable has the same poor internet service here in Leon. Last night we ate at Porky's House, arguably the best restaurant in Leon. We've eaten there before. When it came time to pay our bill (980 cords for 4 with mucho cerverza) our waiter said they can't take my credit card cause the internet was down. Telecable. The owner said come back tomorrow to pay. Nice folk. (They're switching to Claro.)

We have Telecable TV - 320 cords/mo for the basic 99 channels of blah. Most of the time it's OK. Occasionally it goes blue. And at times, in the middle of a good movie, the screen gets covered with something like a Pay-for-view reminder to satellite subscribers.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Blog Entries

Actually scratch what I said - Running that will only get you the information your computer has with your router - Not the company -

Look through the menus of the router for something like this..

See at the bottow - Reconnect mode: - Make sure it is something like "Always On"

the cable modem and router is in the same device (gateway). It is Netgear CGD24G. I'm assuming the reconnect mode is only for DSL (pppoe).

I didn't have internet all night last night until this morning (9pm - 8am). I tried the instructions they gave us many times with no success of getting connection.

I did check the event log of the gateway and i get a lot of "no ranging response received - T3 timeout". I googled this and it looks like it might be the old cabling (rotting cables) around the area.

But what puzzles me is that even if the cabling is not that good around the area, I should be able to connect to the gateway's ip (192.168.0.1) when I am connected to the local network. Strange.

I guess I have both problems: old cabling and gateway hardware. We're going to call support again to see if they can come in and check the cables and the gateway.

Blog Entries

the cable modem and router is in the same device (gateway). It is Netgear CGD24G.

I did check the event log of the gateway and i get a lot of "no ranging response received - T3 timeout". I googled this and it looks like it might be the old cabling (rotting cables) around the area.

But what puzzles me is that even if the cabling is not that good around the area, I should be able to connect to the gateway's ip (192.168.0.1) when I am connected to the local network. Strange.
    Yes - That is one reason to stay clear of Cable based internet in Nica - Cable works really really really good when you can control the quality of the cable termination (proper connectors tapping into the system) and proper load (how many people connect to the local signal amplifiers)

If a lot of people are illegally tapping into the cable sub block it muddies the signal such that the modem has a good lock.

If less than 1/2 your channels on the cable TV side of things are clear, then there is a good chance it is an issue with people hacking into the local cable TV cable block.

Yea - I doubt any one offers DSL in Nica - All I have seen is cable and Cell based.

Many google searches seem to say that you can get a signal report from most Cable modems these days

Something like this..

Downstream
    Freq/Power: 555.000 MHz -7 dBmV
    Signal to Noise Ratio: 38 dB
    Modulation: QAM256

Upstream
    Freq/Power: 30.600 MHz 38 dBmV
    Channel Type: DOCSIS 2.0 (ATDMA)
    Symbol Rate: 5120 kSym/sec
    Modulation: QAM64

Did the intalled put a dedicated cable right from your Modem to where the cable comes in the house with a high quality splitter?

I remember when I had cable modem (from 99 to -'07 ) the installer told me that a separate cable - of the highest quality - Run right from the input to the house - with the best splitter you can buy .

I have similar numbers and entry logs from this link - http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5...MAC/td-p/28256

We needed an internet that is connected 24/7, so we asked my MIL to get cable. There is DSL here but with Claro. We went to claro store and they didn't seem to know what we were talking about or they just didn't care (this was back in june).

We were planning to use it for skype. She doesn't know how to use the computer and we removed all other applications from her laptop except for skype. that way she just click on video call and connects to us.

We tried to explain to her how to connect the usb 3g modem, but she just doesn't want to hear it. she wanted something that she opens the laptop then click a button.

Blog Entries

I have similar numbers and entry logs from this link - http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5...MAC/td-p/28256

We needed an internet that is connected 24/7, so we asked my MIL to get cable. There is DSL here but with Claro. We went to claro store and they didn't seem to know what we were talking about or they just didn't care (this was back in june).

We were planning to use it for skype. She doesn't know how to use the computer and we removed all other applications from her laptop except for skype. that way she just click on video call and connects to us.

We tried to explain to her how to connect the usb 3g modem, but she just doesn't want to hear it. she wanted something that she opens the laptop then click a button.
    Yes apparently -10dB and greater is what is needed by reading I glazed over..

Think about a 3G/4G tablet - B/H photo in NY had a Nexus 7 with 4G on sale over Black Friday weekend for $ 129US - That would put it $ 220 CDN to your door taxes shipping and exchange all in to (I assume) Que..

They will probably have the same deal over Xmass.

If you don't want the wait Visions out west has them in stock for $279 http://www.visions.ca/Catalogue/Cate...5&sku=NEXUS74G

You just have to find a way to stop it from being pinched..

TRN Member

I guess I have both problems: old cabling and gateway hardware. We're going to call support again to see if they can come in and check the cables and the gateway.
    Yep - It sounds like you nailed it & probably have a bad modem/router.
    In Nicaragua you can expect problems & if you still have a connection problem when you get new hardware it probably is a Telecable problem.

RE: Cable internet service capability in Nicaragua:
    I hate to use the word "Claro" because they are known for having the worst customer service of any company in Nicaragua. But their Cable internet has been the gold standard here Managua & south (east of you) to Rivas & SJDS where I have had service those cities on & off for about 8 years. It usually works very very well. Bi-directional cable line amplifiers mean they can extend service well beyond the central office. Signal gain comes cheap to overcome lossy cable lines so that is not a problem. Thus cable is everyone's first choice *depending*.
    They will not authenticate/provision the MAC ID hardware you provide because of obvious support problems.
    Thus it sounds like Telecable is your problem but you can hope it is only bad hardware you can get replaced.

Find the right guy to ask at Claro about DSL since that is a good second choice. Other places here it works well too but you need to be within about a mile or less of their box depending the DSL version they offer and phone line condition. The advantage is that you can bring your own hardware if you want even as a backup for testing or use since authentication is by login of Name/PW.

I have a 3mb & 5 mb cable in SJDS as well as a 5 mb DSL and about $70 each. All work very well usually *except* occasionally when their internal network problem causes intermittent pings and once it took them a couple of weeks to fix that.

I don't know anyone here who cant get cable or DSL service that is happy with the alternate of cell tower 3G/4G whether USB modem or internal. Both Claro & Movistar. I have used them both and bought routers that supported the plug in USB modem. They usually don't provide the service they promise especially up/down bandwidth and if you use the connection very much it is expensive.
    YMMV

You can also ask around about other conventional wireless provides like IBW that might serve your area. But like everything Nicaragua they sometimes have problems. I used them for a cyber years ago and was happy with their excellent service. I have gone through everything here for a backup for cable & DSL. Especially back when Cable quit when the power went out but now here they finally have at least 8 hours backup.
    DSL is like phones and usually works with power out so that is a big advantage.

BTW cable modem specs for downstream power level that I have used here are 0 dbm +- 10db but in Nicaragua bigger is better so they usually adjust them higher. I put line attenuators in my +20 dbm line and the modem worked well down to -23 dbm where I ran out of attenuators. The modem adjusted the uplink level to work correctly and S/N stayed above 36-38 db which seems to be standard.

None of the modem/routers supplied to me cable or DSL were supported by 3rd party firmware like DD-WRT so no capability to ping a site like Google and if there is a loss of pings the modem can be set to reboot.

This has been a long one but describes about 9 years experience here for an internet connections for home, cyber, & hotel in several cities. Some of us can not live without it especially if you have family/business ties back home or a business here.
    I left out unimportant experience early here where the only service was an oversold small wireless provider who offered service far slower than a land line 64K in the states.

YMMV

EDIT: Go through the web interface and learn it and backup the original configuration settings to keep in safe places. Then change the login: name/pw and write that on a piece of tape on the hardware and save it to a safe place as well. Power surges here have reset my hardware to a non configured condition a couple of times. Should not happen but it did.
    You run the risk that the provider might try to telnet in and update the configuration or firmware but i have never heard of that and if they have half a brain they probably have a back door. If not a phone call to NSA is only a dime away.
    Last edited by JohnS; 12-13-2014 at 03:35 PM.

thanks for your insights, Bill and John. a technician is supposed to come on Monday to check the issues. It looks like MIL got a 1 year contract, so I'm not sure if we can get out of it since she just had this installed 2 weeks ago (we arrived a week ago).

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Yes - That is one reason to stay clear of Cable based internet in Nica - Cable works really really really good when you can control the quality of the cable termination (proper connectors tapping into the system) and proper load (how many people connect to the local signal amplifiers)

If a lot of people are illegally tapping into the cable sub block it muddies the signal such that the modem has a good lock.

If less than 1/2 your channels on the cable TV side of things are clear, then there is a good chance it is an issue with people hacking into the local cable TV cable block.

Yea - I doubt any one offers DSL in Nica - All I have seen is cable and Cell based.

Many google searches seem to say that you can get a signal report from most Cable modems these days

Something like this..

Downstream
    Freq/Power: 555.000 MHz -7 dBmV
    Signal to Noise Ratio: 38 dB
    Modulation: QAM256

Upstream
    Freq/Power: 30.600 MHz 38 dBmV
    Channel Type: DOCSIS 2.0 (ATDMA)
    Symbol Rate: 5120 kSym/sec
    Modulation: QAM64

Did the intalled put a dedicated cable right from your Modem to where the cable comes in the house with a high quality splitter?

I remember when I had cable modem (from 99 to -'07 ) the installer told me that a separate cable - of the highest quality - Run right from the input to the house - with the best splitter you can buy .

I have a dsl connection in Condega, and when it's good, it's good. It's not like dsl in the US where you are generally guaranteed an up and down pipe. Mine is highly variable.

Rain wets the telephone lines, so service improves during the dry time. I can generally pick up my house phone and judge the quality of the line from the static riding on the dial tone.

I don't know if Claro cable is available, the woman who runs the local Claro office is as worthless as ----fill in your own description-----. and knows that I've told a number of people that. It's a small town.

Maybe the Chinese canal guy will do something with all that bandwidth he "won". Maybe after he finishes the canal.

I feel kind of bad for the people who have to live with this.