Thread: Interesting twist for those in Southern Ontario (Spirit)

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default Interesting twist for those in Southern Ontario (Spirit)

Spirit lists travel - as a single ticket - from Detroit to Managua for $ 505

Spirit does not list a ticket from Buffalo to Managua...

BUT..

They do list a return to FLL @ $98

And the list a return of MGA to FLL at $330

That makes a $430 flight ..

Only draw back is you need to pass time from 6AM to 11PM in Fort Lauderdale.. And on the way back about the same..

Anyway - Just throwing that out there..

P.S. After I typed the above I punched in the Buf to MGA into Hipmunk and that came out at $875 cheapest. Expecting YYZ to be above that I was shocked to see a united at $575 CDN and Avianca @ $624 CDN .. So maybe an inpromptu visit in late Jan or Feb is in the cards to shake out the winter chills.. .
    Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 12-10-2014 at 12:08 PM.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Default Re: Interesting twist for those in Southern Ontario (Spirit)

For you Torontonians (is that the right word?), you have to spend dollars and time to get to and from Buffalo. Is that really a savings? Especially in winter, when weather could make road travel hellish.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    For you Torontonians (is that the right word?), you have to spend dollars and time to get to and from Buffalo. Is that really a savings? Especially in winter, when weather could make road travel hellish.
    Torontonians is right - For them

Buffalo is about an hour anf 20 from both where we are and Toronto - If you drove to Toronto airport from where we live it is about an hour to an hour and 20 as well if traffic is bad.

THe border is a roll of the dice though - Sometimes it takes 5 min - Other times it takes 45 min.

Parking is 1/2 - You can fill up with cheap gas - and you get a cheap flight - The typical less than 4 week advanced purchase to Nica is more like $900 compared to the $430 above.

Now for one person, like Chilo did in October it does not make sense to drive to the buff. I think her Avianca ticket from Toronto was cheaper than an AA ticket from Buf...

But if you have 5 ppl, like we did in 2011/12, the $200 a ticket even makes the drive to Detroit worth the bother at $1000 savings.

To park for 30ish days in Toronto (Like we did in July) you have to coupon search for a while to get it for $150 - In Detroit you get the same time for $80 without trying.

Part of the reason is that YYZ has the most expensive landing and processing fees in North America.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

We have the same equations to solve between JAX, MCO, and MIA. I've thrown FLL into the mix when I could get a Southwest flight from Jax to FLL for $43 one way, take Metrorail to MIA for about $7, and fly to MGA from there. But no one else in the family is willing to do that for some reason. Probably something to do with Nicamax luggage and a 3 year old.

We can leave the car at my brother's house in Orlando, and fly from there, thus saving the parking fees, but it takes a tank of gas to get there and back.

Or we can park for $4-8 a day at JAX, (or take a taxi, or get dropped of if it's not 4am) and fly from here to MCO or MIA, change planes, and on to MGA...