Thread: This Craig's list is so Naive it is funny !!!

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default This Craig's list is so Naive it is funny !!!

Seen this after browsing the tractor ad for KWP...

This will end so very very badly...

http://managua.craigslist.org/cto/4833049157.html
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Default Re: This Craig's list is so Naive it is funny !!!

There's a "Steve" who's posted on Nica forums in the past, and I think he's Canadian. But he should know better than to import an 11 year old vehicle to Nicaragua.

Even if it was w/in 10 years I'm sure Nica will estimate value higher. Asking $1500, but after Nica taxes there probably won't be much left.

For motor vehicles, the Nicaraguan Customs Authority levies the ICS according to engine size. New and used automobiles with engines greater than 4000 cc face a tax of 30%, while those with engines less than 4000 cc pay 25%, 3000 cc pay 20%, 2,600 cc pay 15% and less than 1,600 cc pay 10%. U.S. cars with larger engines may face stiff price competition from manufacturers of small cars. The ISC is applied to other motor vehicles based on engine size as well.

Yes, the ten year thing is a problem.
    It won't fly. I've discussed this with the Aduana people at Espino when I was driving my 1998 Ford Van back and forth.
    There is no way they can fudge the date. Too many people look at the vehicle after the import. Mechanical inspection, transito, customs agent would have to be involved.

Vans are considered passenger cars (as opposed to trucks which don't have the time limitation).

I don't know about Costa Rica in terms of the age limitation. I DO know that import taxes in CR are very stiff, and they use their own form of valuation.
    This valuation is considerably more than the car can be purchased for on the open market.

For someone living in SJdS, this might be a good deal:
    leaving every thirty days for CR at Peñas Blancas is not that big a deal.
    There is no charge to bring the car into CR as a tourist, and nothing for the car to return to Nicaragua as a tourist.
    The process is quite fast once you know where to go. You still have your exit and return immigration fees for Nicaragua, and now, the CR exit tax.
    30 days of tourist insurance in Nicaragua is $12.
    You could take a load of border runners to CR every month to cover gas and your in and out.

You currently get 90 days on a tourist vehicle permit in Costa Rica.
    I can see some business possibilities for the creative thinker here.
    With a Carta Poder the vehicle would probably be usable by another tourist in CR for the 90 days.
    On my last trip north a Gringo who was with me crossed borders with a Nica plated car registered to a Nica.

Your first rental would pay for the van, after that it's gravy
    I would have paid $1500 to rent something like this for 90 days of touring CR.

A good running vehicle delivered to Nicaragua for $1500 is a pretty decent deal.

Note: Nicas are NOT allowed to drive "tourist" vehicles.
    I don't remember the precise fine, but Transito will make you (the Nica) drive the vehicle to the closest Aduana point (Managua, or a border) ,, where the vehicle is stored until the owner is found and the fine is paid.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    Note: Nicas are NOT allowed to drive "tourist" vehicles. I don't remember the precise fine, but Transito will make you (the Nica) drive the vehicle to the closest Aduana point (Managua, or a border) ,, where the vehicle is stored until the owner is found and the fine is paid.

This is good, really good, to know...

My 94 Mazda P/U made it down there in 2008 or 2009 (I wrote about it here in some long forgotten topic) . My BIL bought it from me - had it transferred into his name, and then shipped it down via Miami and did the paper hoops to bring it in to the country. They had to apply $1200 is of "grease" to bring it in country - In all they "told me" they saved $1,000 in total, but I doubt it.

But he did use his Celdula to do so.

Back in '95 I helped him pack a convoy of vehicles (bought at auction) with Microwaves, cloths, TVs toasters etc etc etc... They took the 2 small P/U and 2 cars down - Stayed for 2 months sold the lot with money left over for a trip home. All (Save for the vehicles) were pick up on the curb side or at lawn sales for less half than what it was sold for...

I was told at that time that the 10 yr rule only applies for residents. Citizens can import what ever they want, once every 3 years.

Maybe the second trip Chilo can try to bring one on her Celdula.. If it works we fly back - if not we drive, if the rules do not change completely in the mean time.

Blog Entries

Here is the old thread.. My recollection of numbers was off...

http://www.therealnicaragua.com/vb/f...e-as-a-tourist

1500 dollars, or 4000 cordobas?
    SOLD! ill buy it for 4000 cords. Worth the 150~ dollars.
    im guessing he left off a zero, but if he didnt notice, id give him 4000 cords for it.

also, my friend imported a 14 year old vehicle here no problem. never said anything about it, or gave him a hard time or anything. It was like normal he said.

I would also like to point out that while yes, you can take it across the border to CR and back, you cant do it repeatedly....i tried, as a way to stretch the time until the paperwork for importing my car was done because the aduana was so slow with it..

A car is not like a person. It gets 30 days in nicaragua, and then has to leave, even though the person can have 90 days. You can get one re-entry within 6 months but thats it. So you can go to CR and back to Nicaragua, and then 2 costa rica a second time, but you cant get back into Nicaragua until 6 months is up, which is then a bigger problem, because you cant stay in Costa Rica for that long.
    The only way that would work is to continue traveling to multiple countries.
    I ended up having to write a hand written letter to the aduana official apologizing for the mistake, and asking forgiveness and could i PLEASE bring the car back in and get an extension?

Blog Entries

I believe it's only us gringos who are limited to 7 year old vehicles, a Nica returning to retire can take an older vehicle, but don't quote me on that.

I bounce back and forth quite a bit with my car and haven't been bothered yet. You can also go to Aduana in Managua (across from the Coca Cola bottling plant, KM 6.5 I think), and get a 30 day extension. There's a charge, I want to say $1 day but it might have been $2. Like the visa extension, you can't get there too soon, I remember it being like three days before expiration. If you are late, there is a $50 fine, but they still extend you.

They will only extend once in Managua, and you have to leave the country with the car after that.

No one has said anything to me yet about the 6 month limitation. I'm close to the Honduran border so I generally go north. Honduras charges for their car permit. Espino used to re-up me on my visa too, but they no longer do that.

It's a pain, but I like Honduras too, and it's a way to keep a more luxurious car in Nicaragua until I get my residency.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    I believe it's only us gringos who are limited to 7 year old vehicles, a Nica returning to retire can take an older vehicle, but don't quote me on that.
    I was told it was ten years, and recently.
    I also asked about the rumor that dual cab pickups were treated as passenger vehicles, and was told that this was not true either.

These recent posts highlight the difficulty in getting accurate information. Even with accurate information, as they say, " your mileage will vary."
    I have the telephone number of someone in Aduana in Espino.
    He's been helpful to me in the past. If you want the name and number PM me.
    He doesn't speak English.

A lot of vehicles are imported at Espino.
    There are customs agents on site to do the paperwork.
    Two days if you are lucky.

http://nicaragua.usembassy.gov/chapter5.html

Prohibited and Restricted Imports

The Ground Transportation Law (2005/524) prohibits the import of motor vehicles that are more than 10 years old, with the exception of antique cars and donations to the fire department, Red Cross, and religious organizations.

*user experience may vary*

That should be the new Nica slogan, much better than Pura Vida.

Blog Entries

dunno what you guys are going on about, I just bought the vehicle

in fact, I just got back from the Western Union

had to wire the money to his uncle in Nigeria that handles his trust account

ought to be here in a couple of days

says he got hungup somewhere outside of Oaxaca where he was taking an intensive course of some dead Indian dialect

supposed to get his chakras alined in Tapachula also

anyway, I'm stoked.
    political correctedness has run wild and the outrage police are everywhere

TRN Member

Laws don't mean much because they get interpreted but FWIW
    http://www.dga.gob.ni/preguntadetalle.cfm?recordID=75

Quote Originally Posted by JohnS View Post
    Laws don't mean much because they get interpreted but FWIW
    http://www.dga.gob.ni/preguntadetalle.cfm?recordID=75

"se prohibe la importacion de vehiculos automoviles usados"

That is probably why the older trucks come in without problem. I tried to figure out HOW they figure value and other fees on older trucks.

I paid right at $1000 for a 1992 4WD Ford F250 with a diesel engine, about this time exactly last year. That included the fee for the customs broker, which you have to use.