Thread: Between the Eyes

Blog Entries

Default Between the Eyes

Normal morning on the farm. Got out at daylight and surveyed some Plantain to cut while drinking coffee. Went back to the house and got the wheelbarrow and machete. Cut a few small bunches, then a big one or 2 and I remembered a neighbor saying he wanted a bunch of a certain variety I have here (have 3-4 varieties of Plantain) so I went to cut it so I would have it for him.

Bulls Eye, Right Between the Eyes, on the bridge of my nose a wasps hit me. Wasps love Plantain trees for nesting and I get stung a few dz times a year, stings are usually on the hands or arms but I have been stung all over and several times on the face which is always the worst.

Collected my Plantain and headed to the house to see how quick it was swelling, I could feel my face growing and notice my left eye closing.

Left eye shut first, then the right eye got to about 90%. I took some Benadryl, bathed off and got under the fan. Figured it would take a day or so but the swelling has lessened all day. At the current rate I think I will be fine by morning, ready to do it all over again, but hope I don´t.

We have a number of types of wasps here. The one that hit me today looked like (and I got a good look at him as he was between my eyes) what I would call a class 2 wasps. The class 1 wasps hurt but you can keep working. I have only had 1 encounter with the class 3 wasps and that was 1 too many. Got hit hard in the face and looked like Elephant Man. The pain from the class 3 wasps and class 1 wasps is like the difference between JV Football and the NFL.

Pain was minimal, just a big puffy face all day, glad it is deflating so quick. Probably the Anti-Venom concoction I have been sipping all afternoon.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Default Re: Between the Eyes

Been there, done that. Years ago I had a wasp nest on the rafter end of the shed and I left it alone. One day I got zapped twice around the mouth as I walked about 2 meters away.. It was extremly painful extremly quickly, but left no infection or anything. No where near as bad as Acacia ants, but nothing you want to repete. Needless to say, the nest met its doom shortly thereafter with an aerosol can of spray. We´ve had a couple nests in the trees on our property and both times Nica employees offered to ´´smoke them out´¨¨One raging bonfire on a stick later the nest was killed and cremated.
    Last year a nest of smaller wasps set up housekeeing on a higher location of the roof and we left it alone withour incident, but there is always a can of spray around.
    That reminds me I need to get some benadryl for my first aid kit.

Blog Entries

I've only had the Class 0.5 wasps get me, on the hand one time. Brushed it away, looked at my hand, shrugged, and kept working.

So disappointed no pics . . .

Is the El Bluff project completed?

Luckily I've been wasp free during my trips. No where near ant free tho, those buggers go out of their way to get me.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Get ya a cigarette and moisten some of the tobacco with ya spit and rub it on the affected area either that or the Robert E. Lee original, CLOROX... Don't know if the MAGICA BLANCA is the Nica equlivant or not...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    Get ya a cigarette and moisten some of the tobacco with ya spit and rub it on the affected area either that or the Robert E. Lee original, CLOROX... Don't know if the MAGICA BLANCA is the Nica equlivant or not...

Or, get someone to piss on your face.

That helps too, relieves the stinging. The ammonia is the key.

You haven`t lived until you`ve been bit by an acacia ant. a big nasty welt 1 inch across and 3/8 inch deep that lasts for about a week. No secondary infection or pus or anything, but quite disfiguring on the face.

I got 2 to the head, the man with me got 5. Like guerrero ants, you are lost before you even know they are there. I now pay much more attention around this type of acacia.

Not as complicated as the bot fly, but crafty little fellows none-the-less.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudomyrmex_ferruginea

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    Or, get someone to piss on your face.

That helps too, relieves the stinging. The ammonia is the key.
    Yes Moma would use Ammonia as well if I remember right, it worked as well...

I can remember one time complaining of an ear ache, she said, "Come here Son and let me pee in it, that will make it go away"

NOPE nevah took her up on that one....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    NOPE nevah took her up on that one...
    Whew! A mother's love??? Still, the image is disturbing on a whole 'nuther level.

When I lived in married housing at the U of FL (McGuire Village) our neighbors were Korean. (I had to wait a year to get to the top of the list for married housing. There were plenty of apartments in Gainesville, but more than 2X the cost. The South Koreans had a system whereby they put their names on the list a year before acceptance into UF's grad school and all fell nicely into place when they arrived. Tight societies have their advantages.) I digress. Paper wasps nested on their front screen door, on the mechanism. The man of the house, like a noble nerd, took action. He taped his gloves to his long sleeve shirt and his pant cuffs to his socks. He had a brown paper bag over his head, taped down, with smallish, screened eye & mouth holes. Like a neo-Knight of fantasy yore, he had a bagful of tennis shoes, mostly old ones, of all sizes. With the screen door propped open, kids & wife safely inside, windows & doors shut, he began his assault, hurling shoes at the winged pests.

Did man, my neighbor, conquer this exoskeletal species invading his home, sweet rental? Honestly I didn't stick around watching. It was all too absurd. But I think he did have to reload his bagful.

To bring it back to Nicaragua, last night a scorpion fell by my stepson's head as he slept. Luckily his sister, in the bed next to his, saw it. At that time, 3AM, she was watching Murray beat Krygios in the Aussie Open, and alerted him. He woke me to kill it. It was under his pillow. That poisonous bug built for battle was black and 5 inches long. It didn't die easily. It couldn't be crushed pinning it with one stick against the mattress. It took two sticks. No one was stung. My wife's home remedy for a sting is to use "la caca del mismo alacran" which is to say, its guts squashed out and applied as an ointment. A friend who was stung stepping on one recently went to the hospital for an injection of antihistamine (like benedryl). The old ways coexist smoothly with the new here.

To be hit squarely in your 'third eye' makes me think that tiny, flying life-form was communing with one of your prior lives, a Hindu swami, no doubt.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Blog Entries

Yulee hall, class of '87 and thence '89...

Where I thought you were going, DY, was that your Korean waspslayer whipped out his, um... "lance" and fired away at the nest with the contents of his bladder, and I expected to hear that the one part of his body he couldn't protect got stung. Glad it turned out better.

I just fill a spray bottle with rubbing alcohol and, from behind reasonable cover, spray once at the nest, then when the wasps scatter it's like shooting down Japanese Zeros from the AA guns of an aircraft carrier. One by one they fall, poisoned by alcohol. It works on crawling bugs just as well. It's relatively cheap and has the advantage of sanitizing as it kills.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    I just fill a spray bottle with rubbing alcohol . . .
    Urine? Cheaper. Less sanitary, but stays on thread.

Today's waspslaying Asian engineering student at UF would probably use a drone.

My outstretched arms flap the UF salutation to you bigh Jonh (which makes it difficult to continue writing).
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Blog Entries

I'll stick with the isopropylene, thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    Urine? Cheaper. Less sanitary, but stays on thread.

Today's waspslaying Asian engineering student at UF would probably use a drone.

My outstretched arms flap the UF salutation to you bigh Jonh (which makes it difficult to continue writing).

Urine is generally sanitary, except for a few viruses (one in particular, Hanta, found in rat urine, that kills you).
    Kidneys do a great job of filtration, kind of like a built in Zero Water

THAT would make a great commercial, pee in a Zero Water filter,,, and then drink it.

I was going to hijack this thread with that new Carls Jr superbowl ad, but I lost the link.

I wouldn't pee at the wasp nest, unless I was feeling a death wish that day. Hard way to die.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    Urine is generally sanitary...
    Ya, that's not really the point though...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    Ya, that's not really the point though...

Blog Entries

MOM!!?!!

Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Not even 8am and I racked up 3 more stings, 1 to the forehead and 2 on my arm. Was cutting a small bunch of Banana and WHAM. This may be a record breaking year far as stings go, seems like lots more Wasp than usual. Luckily these were ¨Class 1¨, mild irritation, minimal swelling.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

maybe time to pay kids to find the nest and minimize your swellings
    Foreign aid might be defined as a transfer of money from poor people in rich countries
    to rich people in poor countries.