Thread: Grits in Nicaragua

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Grits in Nicaragua

Well, I have done without Grits for so long, it got to playing on my feeble mind and decided to do something about it.

Whenevah friends would be coming down from up Naath, they would ask if I wanted them to bring anything for me and the subject of Grits was brought up, especially those of my Canadian friends.... it was alway's.. NONE AVAILABLE HERE SON... that is a rather "Southern" thang I was always told.

So something did get a hold of me the other day to go on and look it up on HOW TO DO IT... and being a new crop of corn is just now starting to come in from the interior "Fincas" plenty of raw material to work with.

I got me 5 pounds of the corn and started off on another one of my adventures in the Galley of my home with help from the University of Georgia's not so detailed recipe on it. Didn't even mention I needed to make hominy out of the corn first to get the Robert E. Lee Original Grits made from Hominy. They skipped that Blasted part of the process.

Blasted cornholes then said: Recipe on "How to cook Grits, use a 2 to one ratio of water to the one cup of grits and bring to a boil and turn the fire down and simmer for 25 minutes constantly stirring.... One cup of Grits in the rough cooked up will feed 6 Southerners, or 500 Yankees"

That was the only creative information I got out of a Collage course on "How to make Grits", the rest of the information was about using something called "Core" math to see how much a 56# bushel of corn would render in the sales of it after the loss to corn meal was taken out. It did say what specific size colanders I needed to sort the ground corn. So I built the two required and used 2 different sizes of screen wire for that part to get the size just right.

So then I had to look up "How to make Hominy"

I didn't really like the idea of using DRAINO on my and my families food for the primary soak of the corn, the Lime, I am OK with.

I remember raising 4 feeder pigs to maturity and had on of them big óle WHEELING wash tubs that LCT grew up with in his childhood and them folks of his using it for an above the Ground swimming pool for him, his brother and sister, but anyway going on what my Öle Farmer Grandmother said at the time, I would put 1/2 a bushel of corn in it and a teaspoon of "Box Lye" in it and full with water and after an overnight soak would feed it to my pigs...

The lye was supposed to keep the intestinal worms down which it surely did in ém pigs when we slaughtered them one at the time later.

Well the lye did eat the galvanizing off the inside of that wash tub and left it naked to rust like the local zinc roof tops, NOPE didn't want to use the lye on my food. So I was trying it all with the lime.

As luck would have it one of my woman's friends was over at the house and asked what I was a doing, when I described the primary process, she moved me right out of her way and said, I am gone show you "Mista John" How to make'"Postole" that is what you are doing.

And By God that öle Country Girl from the interior of Nicaragua did too. She said it was a staple in her childhood a growing up on a farm. I just took it one step further and dried the Postole and then ground it into grits and the cornmeal leavings from that....

And it turned out Well, I am just as happy with the Home made Grits as not only like they came right out of a Quaker Oats round carton, but my daughter Xena said, Oh Daddy I remember eating this in Virginia..

Gerold is the only one that doesn't like them, he'll get over it or starve, ain't gone be no more Gallo Pinto made in the mornings by me, They want it they can fix it themselves, I am to the neck with Gallo Pinto for a while....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Default Re: Grits in Nicaragua

So did she just grind them or actually make hominy out of them? I never knew the process for hominy so went ahead and read up, pretty interesting and sounds like it actually improves nutrition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixtamalization

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinole

If someone doesn't like grits that just means they didn't put enough butter on.

Blog Entries

I did like Moma would, 1/2 stick of butter in the mix just as it got done... Salt was added at the start... Put cheese in 'em this AM too, but Gerold is prejudiced and didn't even try them.... LOL more for the rest of us....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Uuuuu, found me a good new friend...

She is a Widder Lady a bit younger than myself and is a friend of my woman and she is now making them Tortillas with the Hominy at her home.

I cut her out a nice piece of Stainless Steel plate for the cooking process of them and we now git our Tortillas fresh made.

Well she also is a going into the pork raising business of which I know I gone be a good customer of hers what with hams and shoulders "Skin On" so I can make my other hard to git items on the DAC (Dangerous Atlantic Coast)

She an I have a deal... I buy the corn, and on halves she makes the Hominy and all I have left to do is dry it and grind it and sift it...

My Younguns do the that part, so all I have to do is cook it.

But I do have my youngest daughter in training for that part so eventually if all goes well, all I will have to do is git in on my fair share of the eating part.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    Well she also is a going into the pork raising business of which I know I gone be a good customer of hers what with hams and shoulders "Skin On" so I can make my other hard to git items on the DAC (Dangerous Atlantic Coast)
    You planning on smoking or salt curing them?

Blog Entries

Oh yes cured ham, Mr. Dale my neighbor and our families like the cured ham, I am not so hot on smoking it though.. Cured works just fine for all of us.

These Indians love it..... Course I want bacon and sausage meat as well....The bacon I will smoke cure.

This way I don't have to hassle with the raising of the meats and have them tear up my yard.. She don't mind, so I don't either.

And By God that öle Country Girl from the interior of Nicaragua did too. She said it was a staple in her childhood a growing up on a farm. I just took it one step further and dried the Postole and then ground it into grits and the cornmeal leavings from that....

Well, JW knows his grits.

It's looking like I need to buy a hand grinder (someplace to mount it is more of an issue).
    Soak the corn, remove the hulls, let it dry, and then grind it to grits consistency.
    I'm going to try soaking the roughly ground corn I have, there is a possibility the hulls will separate and float to the top.
    Rinse the result and go straight to the pot.

Unless I get into the commercial grits business,, the big motorized grinder I have is overkill.

I need to find me a "young widder lady".
    Shelley has no patience for any of this, and Krisnia is already spoiled.
    She wonders why we just don't eat in restaurants?? That way no one has to do the dishes.

Even the baby is spoiled.

"Am I going to have hot water in the bathroom you are building in my room ?", she asks.
    This is a campo girl who came to live with me when she was sixteen, and had never bathed in hot water prior to that time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KeyWestPirate; 10-23-2016 at 10:47 AM.