Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where should we stay?

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Where should we stay?

DangerGirl - Sorry for the Hijack - I have a BIL that rents out a pair of cars - Mazda MX3 and Mazda 6 - He charges between 30 and 40 US a day. I can give his number BUT DRIVING IN NICA AS A FIRST TIMER IS HIGHLY UNRECOMMENDED...

Rebecca - You could look at the FE55/1.8Z - It is the third sharpest lens ever tested at DxO labs, just under the $4,500 Zeiss Otus 85 and Otus 85... That is $320 off up here for a steal at $690 compared to the regulat $999 - If you like the 24 Zeiss this one will not dissapoint.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    DangerGirl - Sorry for the Hijack - I have a BIL that rents out a pair of cars - Mazda MX3 and Mazda 6 - He charges between 30 and 40 US a day. I can give his number BUT DRIVING IN NICA AS A FIRST TIMER IS HIGHLY UNRECOMMENDED...

Rebecca - You could look at the FE55/1.8Z - It is the third sharpest lens ever tested at DxO labs, just under the $4,500 Zeiss Otus 85 and Otus 85... That is $320 off up here for a steal at $690 compared to the regulat $999 - If you like the 24 Zeiss this one will not dissapoint.
    Add a third back for taxes and duties and it wouldn't be $690 here. I've got 50 covered with a manual lens that's quite sharp and 105mm with a Nikon 2.5 in the Gauss variety if I'm remembering correctly. No plans to go to full frame, and the GF1 can wear my 100-300mm Panasonic for birds. I'd like to get a more recent body for that system, or get out of m43rds all together, but telephotos for the e-mount aren't there yet.

Gary Fong, who runs a FB group for a6000 users, said that he didn't see enough difference between the Sony 50mm and the S/Z 55mm to justify buying the latter for an a6000. One of the issues with any thing in cameras is you pay serious prices for 10% percent improvements. The 24mm was a splurge -- I'd seen it on two earlier trips to Managua before buying it -- and a focal length I liked when I owned a D300. Mike Quinn pointed out that it wasn't more likely to get stolen because of the blue badge -- the guys who stole cameras only know Nikon and Canon DSRLs as being special.

What I want to get is a set of 49mm neutral density filters and a polarizing filter, and the 55-210mm if I get out of the micro 43rds system.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    And your name is "DangerGirl" ?

You will miss the absolute best part!

You have not lived until you make the panga ride to LCI in December!
    Oh, I will come visit LCI, that is for sure. I love crazy - just for fun though, not for ever.

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    No plans to drive ourselves anywhere at anytime in Nica, although I do love the way the Mazda 6 handles.

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Either granada or masaya will have the facilities you need for the places you wish to see, with a side trip to the pacific. Granada has more hotels and restaurants, but both are transportation hubs.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Quote Originally Posted by DangerGirl View Post
    Not planning to live in Granada, or SJDS that is for sure! Looking for a acre or two, small town, ride my horse to the bar to have a beer, take a bus to the ocean once a week. Well, that's the dream anyway. Reality will figure itself out.
    It sounds to me like you are describing the small towns of Carazo. Carazo is to the west and south of Masaya at higher elevation. There are great stretches of old forest and it is almost entirely rural. The largest town is called Jinotepe, and I believe even this could be dubbed "small." Diriamba is only a couple of miles from Jinotepe, and it is the jump off point to the La Boquita and Casares beaches (just to name a few) on the Pacific coast. If you want fish I recommend Casares, and if you want to ride a horse and wade in the ocean I recommend La Boquita. Both a just an hour (or less in a personal car/motorcycle) from Diriamba.

There are many smaller towns around Jinotepe and Diriamba that capture the small town even better: San Marcos (stayed there for a few months and loved the Hipica), El Rosario (stayed there for a few months and loved the peaceful solitude), and Santa Teresa (a small town built on an incline that is a jump off point to hundreds of remote farms), etc. I haven't stayed in any other small towns in Carazo, but I've walked every inch of them. I rarely took a walk without seeing at least one person on horseback.

There is at least one bar (usually bars) close by in every small town.

Carazo has buses leaving every 10/15 minutes for everywhere else in Carazo as well as regular buses to Masaya, Granada, Rivas and Managua. The buses to Masaya take you past El Mirador de Catarina. The buses to Granada take you by Mombacho. The buses to Managua take you over El Crucero. Because of its central location, I used it as my base of operations for a great deal of exploring a few years back. If you are curious about the look of that area, I invite you to check out my posts from that time period. I included many photos.

It is also less expensive to rent a place in Carazo--as it is farther removed.

Good luck finding a place to stay that fits your needs and enjoy Nicaragua. It is a beautiful, strange, and exhilaratingly wild place.
    Soy el chele mono.

Quote Originally Posted by drlemcor View Post
    It sounds to me like you are describing the small towns of Carazo. Carazo is to the west and south of Masaya at higher elevation. There are great stretches of old forest and it is almost entirely rural. The largest town is called Jinotepe, and I believe even this could be dubbed "small." Diriamba is only a couple of miles from Jinotepe, and it is the jump off point to the La Boquita and Casares beaches (just to name a few) on the Pacific coast. If you want fish I recommend Casares, and if you want to ride a horse and wade in the ocean I recommend La Boquita. Both a just an hour (or less in a personal car/motorcycle) from Diriamba.

There are many smaller towns around Jinotepe and Diriamba that capture the small town even better: San Marcos (stayed there for a few months and loved the Hipica), El Rosario (stayed there for a few months and loved the peaceful solitude), and Santa Teresa (a small town built on an incline that is a jump off point to hundreds of remote farms), etc. I haven't stayed in any other small towns in Carazo, but I've walked every inch of them. I rarely took a walk without seeing at least one person on horseback.

There is at least one bar (usually bars) close by in every small town.

Carazo has buses leaving every 10/15 minutes for everywhere else in Carazo as well as regular buses to Masaya, Granada, Rivas and Managua. The buses to Masaya take you past El Mirador de Catarina. The buses to Granada take you by Mombacho. The buses to Managua take you over El Crucero. Because of its central location, I used it as my base of operations for a great deal of exploring a few years back. If you are curious about the look of that area, I invite you to check out my posts from that time period. I included many photos.

It is also less expensive to rent a place in Carazo--as it is farther removed.

Good luck finding a place to stay that fits your needs and enjoy Nicaragua. It is a beautiful, strange, and exhilaratingly wild place.
    This sounds perfect, I will definitely check out your posts from a few years ago, thank you!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12