Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice

Blog Entries

Default Need Advice

I know that what I am about to post is vague but here goes.

I always assumed that I would apply for pensionado status and move to Little Corn.

However, I recently married Maria, who has dual citizenship (USA/Nicaragua).

Maria does not have a current cedula, though she is a citizen of Nicaragua and USA. Plus, she has an established Nicaraguan bank account.

Would it be easier and less expensive for us to get her cedula updated and for me to obtain dual citizenship status through her?

What advantages and disadvantages are there to this arrangement vs. pensionado status?

Note that I do not intend to import a car or lots of furniture from the US, so some of those pensionado benefits do not have much value to me. Mostly, I want to travel at MY pace and not have to worry about every 90 day trips to CR. (This would also allow more time in The Port to visit my with bud Donistan.)

Hope this is clear.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Need Advice

You've got a Spanish speaker -- talk directly to Migracion and Intur. Andrew Colluci who shows up here from time to time got citizenship recently with the help of a woman named Patricia Sanchez who used to work for Migracion. Nicaragua has a special track for returning Nicaraguan citizens.

What a lot of people get confused about is changes in how things are done -- it's easier than it was, but bringing down all the relevant paperwork (see US Embassy in Nicaragua's site or Migracion's site for the list and the how to prepare the paperwork) to make things somewhat easier. Interpol police reports appear to work instead of local state police clearances.

I don't know anyone who applied who failed to get residency. They want us unless we have certain communicable disease, annoy our neighbors unduly, or molest kids, or have certain kinds of felony records. People have had their lawyers screw things up, but not enough to keep them from eventually getting residency.

It just takes time. Don't ask Intur or Migracion questions they can't give you a real answer to (people get sick, people go away for funerals) and realize it takes a while, four to six months, sometimes longer.

Lot of things, ask the Nicaraguans in charge will get more reliable answers than asking random expats who haven't been through the process in more than four years.

Quote Originally Posted by MizBrown View Post
    You've got a Spanish speaker -- talk directly to Migracion and Intur. Andrew Colluci who shows up here from time to time got citizenship recently with the help of a woman named Patricia Sanchez who used to work for Migracion. Nicaragua has a special track for returning Nicaraguan citizens.

What a lot of people get confused about is changes in how things are done -- it's easier than it was, but bringing down all the relevant paperwork (see US Embassy in Nicaragua's site or Migracion's site for the list and the how to prepare the paperwork) to make things somewhat easier. Interpol police reports appear to work instead of local state police clearances.

I don't know anyone who applied who failed to get residency. They want us unless we have certain communicable disease, annoy our neighbors unduly, or molest kids, or have certain kinds of felony records. People have had their lawyers screw things up, but not enough to keep them from eventually getting residency.

It just takes time. Don't ask Intur or Migracion questions they can't give you a real answer to (people get sick, people go away for funerals) and realize it takes a while, four to six months, sometimes longer.

Lot of things, ask the Nicaraguans in charge will get more reliable answers than asking random expats who haven't been through the process in more than four years.

Where is the initial point of contact? I'd like to try and do it myself, but would also like to hire someone to prep my paperwork (so I'm not a burden on migracion).

I remember when you did yours, with the help of Suzanne Wopperer.

Do you have an email or phone number for the Sanchez woman? I thought I'd start later this spring, and will post my experiences here.

In response to the email from LCT,,, I believe there are some benefits for returning Nicas as well.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    This would also allow more time in The Port to visit my with bud Donistan.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    Where is the initial point of contact? I'd like to try and do it myself, but would also like to hire someone to prep my paperwork (so I'm not a burden on migracion).

Do you have an email or phone number for the Sanchez woman? I thought I'd start later this spring, and will post my experiences here.

In response to the email from LCT,,, I believe there are some benefits for returning Nicas as well.

Thanks.
    For pensionados, Intur's CAP or CAB office around the corner from the main Intur office. They'll hold your hand, hand up on your attorney if he tries to expand his scope beyond the notary work, call you when your attorney's secretary did cut and paste from the wrong document, and get corrections messaged from Intur Jintoga to Managua.

Sanchez is on Facebook. You should really join the Expats in Nicaragua group.

Blog Entries

For pensionados, Intur's CAP or CAB office around the corner from the main Intur office. They'll hold your hand, hand up on your attorney if he tries to expand his scope beyond the notary work, call you when your attorney's secretary did cut and paste from the wrong document, and get corrections messaged from Intur Jintoga to Managua.

Sanchez is on Facebook. You should really join the Expats in Nicaragua group.
    Thanks for the info.

However, me and Facebook ain't gonna happen, thanks.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the info.

However, me and Facebook ain't gonna happen, thanks.
    Andrew Colluci knows her. He used to post here, don't know if he still looks in.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well when you get to "The Port", be sure to look DSB and myself up...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

I know that what I am about to post is vague but here goes.

I always assumed that I would apply for pensionado status and move to Little Corn.

Maria does not have a current cedula, though she is a citizen of Nicaragua and USA. Plus, she has an established Nicaraguan bank account.

Would it be easier and less expensive for us to get her cedula updated and for me to obtain dual citizenship status through her?

What advantages and disadvantages are there to this arrangement vs. pensionado status?

Note that I do not intend to import a car or lots of furniture from the US, so some of those pensionado benefits do not have much value to me. Mostly, I want to travel at MY pace and not have to worry about every 90 day trips to CR. (This would also allow more time in The Port to visit my with bud Donistan.)

Hope this is clear.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    LTC,

a. I have been following your Little Corn Activity
    b. I think you are much better off getting her cedula and then you...married to a Nica...getting yous..
    c. Nothing is getting easier here...being here helps..
    d. You are wise not to believe the BS on importing item...especially cars...importation is getting very difficult as I deal with it monthly...send me a PM if I can help
    PP

Active TRN Member

Andrew Colluci knows her. He used to post here, don't know if he still looks in.
    hi all patrica sanchez..i just got my citizenship thru her..it was painless..she also dose mostly cedulas for people..she is excellent..used to work for immigration and knows everyone..phone 8950-8211..i think moviestar email.. patricasanchezquintero@gmail.com..f/b https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...116475&fref=ts she is good and reasonable..a real nice lady

Active TRN Member

Thanks.
    i used her..recommend her highly..she can make life much easier for u..she knows all the ins and outsand when there is a problem can fix it..i had to go to imigration maybe 3 times for my citizenship..i posted her info..phone 8950-8211..i think moviestar email.. patricasanchezquintero@gmail.com..f/bhttps://www.facebook.com/profile.php...116475&fref=ts she is good and reasonable..a real nice lady

[QUOTE=Little Corn Tom;144024]I know that what I am about to post is vague but here goes.

Hope this is clear.

Any advice would be appreciated.[/QUOTE The US govt. does not recognize dual citizenship as I understand it. When you become a US citizen you must turn in your existing passport and your oath excludes you from claiming your original or former citizenship. Nicaragua and a few other countries don't demand that. But if you have two passports the US will only recognize theirs and will consider that person under their laws taxes etc. That is how it was explained to me at the embassy in Managua in the eighties. Being a permanent resident in Nicaragua offers all the rights of a
    Nica except the right to vote or engage in politics

e

Quote Originally Posted by acc724 View Post
    hi all patrica sanchez..i just got my citizenship thru her..it was painless..she also dose mostly cedulas for people..she is excellent..used to work for immigration and knows everyone..phone 8950-8211..i think moviestar email.. patricasanchezquintero@gmail.com..f/b https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...116475&fref=ts she is good and reasonable..a real nice lady

Thank you, I'll give her a call when I get there,

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by acc724 View Post
    i used her..recommend her highly..she can make life much easier for u..she knows all the ins and outsand when there is a problem can fix it..i had to go to imigration maybe 3 times for my citizenship..i posted her info..phone 8950-8211..i think moviestar email.. patricasanchezquintero@gmail.com..f/bhttps://www.facebook.com/profile.php...116475&fref=ts she is good and reasonable..a real nice lady
    Thanks.

If I had an anchor baby could I get residency? If not, how many would I have to have to get residency?

Blog Entries

You gonna f**k your way in?

If she is going to live here she will get her cedula. Duals have to fly in with Nic. passports, not their US ones, and living here she is going to need an ID, so she will have a cedula. Expect some fun lining up the various documents. I have one relative who had to line up his names (exact same name) on both his US and Nic. docs, which is tough because of cultural diffences in using 2 last names, etc. Another one who had to make 2 trips to Nic. just to get her middle name corrected on her birth cert. so she could get her Nic passport so she could leave her home in CR when she wanted to. Her name on the Nic passport had to line up with her name on her CR residency permit. One trip she got a special permission to enter the country, the other time she just went por monte and got robbed for her efforts.

It seems to me that when Don Fyl got his residency by marriage he still had to prove income, etc. The only advantage of residency by marriage is that I think it allows you to work, whereas pensionado doesn't.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

​Poster/bumper sticker from the 1970s

Blog Entries

Hmmmm...She apparently has some issues with birth certificates (plural) as her parents divorced and there are two on file that conflict (middle names or something).

This is starting to sound like a nightmare.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This has GOT to be the quote of the year so far....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

More fun and cheaper than paying Paul Tiffer ... of course, depending on. . . uhh, never mind.

Blog Entries

More fun and cheaper than paying Paul Tiffer ... of course, depending on. . . uhh, never mind.
    Good call.

This is starting to sound like a nightmare.
    You said it!
    Foreign aid might be defined as a transfer of money from poor people in rich countries
    to rich people in poor countries.

What a crude thing to say. I'll have you know I'm saving myself for marriage.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kwah2249 View Post
    What a crude thing to say. I'll have you know I'm saving myself for marriage.
    Tell it to the judge Hawk!

BTW aren't you guys about due?

We are, only a few more weeks until D-day.

Maybe i'll use my FMLA for a Nica trip and register the baby there. Say it was born in the bush and then I'd have my anchor baby.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast