Thread: From the US to Nicaragua; Which courier to use

Default From the US to Nicaragua; Which courier to use

Hey, trying to get a package sent from Florida (Tampa) to Nicaragua nadn was wondering if anyone has any experience or suggestions. The package is a box of clothes

As far as I know, there are a few options, but I could have bad info.

DHL, which has an office in Granada. I talked to them a few months ago but they seemed very unsure of what they were saying. They explained that the package will arrive at customs in Managua, where it will have to be picked up. Alternatively, for a $45 charge they can deal with customs and have the package brought to the office in Granada where it can be picked up, saving the trip to Managua. Using the online quote service the package will cost over $100 to send

UPS has an office in Managua, once again about a $120 cost for shipping. Not sure how that process works, but I imagine everything goes to customs, then...not sure.

USPS is what most who I have talked to have used. Said it takes a while, but is cheapest. Can be sent to the Correos office in Granada, or too a home address.

Anyone able to shed some light on this?

Active TRN Member

Default Re: From the US to Nicaragua; Which courier to use

if its clothes..and not real valuable..buy them down here..u dont want to bring anything thru the customs..unless u have too

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by methionine View Post
    Hey, trying to get a package sent from Florida (Tampa) to Nicaragua nadn was wondering if anyone has any experience or suggestions. The package is a box of clothes

(snips)

USPS is what most who I have talked to have used. Said it takes a while, but is cheapest. Can be sent to the Correos office in Granada, or too a home address.

Anyone able to shed some light on this?
    Several levels of sending things here USPS -- I have a box in Jinotega. Nothing in four years has gone missing. Customs seem to have out and out stealing better under control (loses money for the government since we tend to refuse to pay duties on stuff that doesn't show up).

Quote Originally Posted by MizBrown View Post
    Several levels of sending things here USPS -- I have a box in Jinotega. Nothing in four years has gone missing. Customs seem to have out and out stealing better under control (loses money for the government since we tend to refuse to pay duties on stuff that doesn't show up).
    How do you get a customs bill for a package that doesn't arrive???

Blog Entries

Go straight to jail, do not pass go. You cannot question such wisdom.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

I think Panorama is the one we've used, and it works ok.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by billbudsocket View Post
    How do you get a customs bill for a package that doesn't arrive???
    Box that is either empty or been opened - Have attendent open it - Refuse to pay the customs if the described item is not inside.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

I had a box of toys sent from Philly to Niquinohomo by USPS in December. The guy who sent it said, "USPS promised it would be there by Christmas." I'm thinking: "yea, right sure, be lucky to see it intact by mid-January." December 27th a guy pulls up in front of the house on a bicycle with a sealed box with USPS tape all over it. Again, sealed, never opened on this end and with all the goodies inside.

Like it has been said: Never be surprised by what you encounter in Nicaragua...

On the other hand, a Christmas card sent from Philly in early December never arrived at a downtown Masaya address.
    political correctedness has run wild and the outrage police are everywhere

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Box that is either empty or been opened - Have attendent open it - Refuse to pay the customs if the described item is not inside.
    I had an interesting experience with camera stuff where B&H had put the wrong weight on the box and Correos wanted me to come down to Managua with the invoice to sort things out. I ended up paying on the package and reading the invoice over the phone to avoid doing losing a half day in Managua plus 5 hours in transit. Correos got the package to me the next day.

Correos in Jinotega used to have me open and verify all boxes in their presence the first two or three years I was here. They and I now trust each other. Correos probably has had people making damage or missing items claims that weren't so, too. Aduana has very obviously opened some packages and some packages within the shipment (electrical adaptors which were loose in the re-sealed box) at times. If I'm ordering $500 worth of camera gear, I don't quibble about paying a bit more to make sure it's tracked out of Managua and it's generally in Jinotega two days after the last pass through Customs. I always tell the Correos Jinotega employees that I'm expecting a package as soon as it leaves the US.

I'm fairly convinced that most of the stealing is US side of the border at this point -- unless the package has full tracking (Priority Mail Express), the boys in San Diego or Miami or Brooklyn can wave the package in front of the scanner and then toss it for further home processing rather than put it on the plane. If I get Priority Mail Express, I know when it arrives in Managua and that it arrived in Managua. This costs about $10 more. If the item isn't worth that much, I use regular mail, still haven't lost anything. Priority Mail Express also gets you minimal insurance and that seems to keep things a bit more controlled, too.

If I lived somewhere with the customs bank on the other side of town, Correos might not be as convenient as it is, but here, Correos is completely cool and has kept their doors open for me when the bank line was slow.

TRN Member

Packages & mail.
    Nicabox worked OK for me several years but this company is professional, English website, less expensive, and full online tacking.
    If your "phone Spanish" is "so so" your interface is with Managua & both employees & manager speak English.
    Ignore the "SHOPPING ASSISTANT" and just use for shipping.
    Top menu link: "SERVICES"--->Rates use "Calculate your shipment" button for full estimate.
    >20 lbs is $2.25/lb freight + services

http://www.aeropost.com/web/frontend...w=&country=mga

Active TRN Member

i have been using nicabox,,for aboyt 12yrs..there great on reciving maillif i want them to amil aletter up to the states for me..it cost me about $6..on packages..they get it dome..but a little expensive

Blog Entries

Probably in the late '90s, maybe the early 2000s, I mailed myself a package to Esteli. Sent it before departing the US, and waited for it to arrive. It was merely an experiment to see how long it would take, or if it arrived at all. Out of curiosity I checked the USPS website to see what was involved in sending a package to Nicaragua, and discovered their list of items that are prohibited from sending from the US to Nicaragua:

Ammunition.
    Coins; banknotes; currency notes (paper money); traveler's checks; securities payable to bearer; platinum, gold or silver, manufactured or not; precious stones; jewelry, and other valuable articles unless sent in insured parcel post.
    Communist material or literature.
    Foreign lottery tickets.
    Lighters.
    Pharmaceutical specialties not registered in Nicaragua: pharmaceutical preparations or secret remedies of unknown composition whose formulas have not been made public.
    Police whistles.
    Telegraph equipment.

Being the kind of person I am, I was inspired to prepare my package with some items from that list which I had, and went to purchase some inexpensive items I did not have. I don't remember if I put coins or cash in it, but I'm sure I did. I also put in a police whistle and a morse code key that my brother used to use when he was playing around with ham radio as a teenager. Then I poured some Coca Cola into a small 1 oz jar and made a paper label for it which read, "Secret remedy of unknown composition whose formula has not been made public."

The USPS only asked the usual questions about anything liquid, fragile, perishable, etc. and I may have fibbed a bit on the liquid part, but they didn't consult the prohibited list and grill me on it. The package arrived safely in Esteli, no problems. No customs issues either.

Police whistles

Can't be because they are loud.

Hey guys, just an update...

I used FedEx. It cost $58 if I recall correctly and was delivered very quickly. Shipped on Thursday, arrived on Tuesday at my door. Keep in mind, FedEx does not work on the weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by methionine View Post
    Hey guys, just an update...

I used FedEx. It cost $58 if I recall correctly and was delivered very quickly. Shipped on Thursday, arrived on Tuesday at my door. Keep in mind, FedEx does not work on the weekends.

You're in Managua?

Does anyone have a list of cities that Fed Ex services in Nicaragua?

Estelí maybe?

Blog Entries

According to FedEx website, Managua only (in Nicaragua), but a couple of spots in Honduras.

http://www.fedex.com/locate/?locale=...tLines=Colonia
    "Find out what it is in life that you don't do well - and then don't do that thing." -The most Interesting Man in the World

Looks like they have 2 locations in Nic to pick up your package Carretera a Masaya or Chinandega. Did you get packages there and if so what was the experience?

Quote:

Packages & mail.
    Nicabox worked OK for me several years but this company is professional, English website, less expensive, and full online tacking.
    If your "phone Spanish" is "so so" your interface is with Managua & both employees & manager speak English.
    Ignore the "SHOPPING ASSISTANT" and just use for shipping.
    Top menu link: "SERVICES"--->Rates use "Calculate your shipment" button for full estimate.
    >20 lbs is $2.25/lb freight + services

http://www.aeropost.com/web/frontend...w=&country=mga
    "The More Peace and Good-will abound as we fill a jolly good pipe of tobacco." John User

TRN Member

$3 Home Delivery in the Metropolitan Area (Managua)
    For $6 they deliver the package to SJDS & takes a day or 2 after it clears customs. Don't know what it costs other areas.
    Air freight goes on Paypal. Other costs here they send you balance & you deposit in their bank account or send them your credit car details (as I did.) The local Nicas use USPS for stuff like clothes but they say Aduana is getting tougher & more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by acc724 View Post
    if its clothes..and not real valuable..buy them down here..u dont want to bring anything thru the customs..unless u have too
    Not always true, I had some good experiences with some custom brokers, but maybe I was just lucky.

My recommendation is W2C. I had only positive experience with them in the past.