Thread: How to send express mail (a letter) To Canada from Nicaragua

Default How to send express mail (a letter) To Canada from Nicaragua

Hey guys,

After three years, and various projects, in Nicaragua I decided to move back to Canada and explore some other options (would like to one day live in Nicaragua again). I began applying for jobs and received a conditional job offer from the government, a job I would consider a "dream" job, for lack of a better word.

Anyways, everything went smoothly until it came time for a security check. Obviously, three years in Nicaragua raised a few cautious eye brows and they have asked for a few bits of documentation, including a police report (to make sure I wasn't involved in any illicit dealings). The time frame here is very short and I would need to have the original copies delivered and translation (done here). Basically, how do I get an envelope of letters mailed to Canada in the shortest amount of time as possible?

Anyone have any experience here? In this past I have sent items to Florida, although it took a week or so.

regards,

Blog Entries

Default Re: How to send express mail (a letter) To Canada from Nicaragua

FedEx should do it.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

There is a DHL booth at the Masaya tourist market - Not sure your proximity to Masaya.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Thanks guys.

Anyone have any actual experience?

One person I spoke to used UPS and it got there in two days. Haven't heard anything else though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    FedEx should do it.

FedEx has worked quite well for me, too. Three days from Managua to Kannapolis, NC, one day less than promised.

Blog Entries

I don't recall how long FedEx took, just be sure you tell them it's a letter. Even if the weight and size are the same, the contents seem to matter and affect the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    I don't recall how long FedEx took, just be sure you tell them it's a letter. Even if the weight and size are the same, the contents seem to matter and affect the price.

And the customs declaration, which may also determine the speed.

"Documents" covers a lot of things, software disks, credit cards, etc, and documents in a standard Fed Ex envelope generally avoids customs.

Fed Ex provides their own customs inspections in most cases, it's one of the keys to their speed. I'm sure the people are Aduana employees, but Fed Ex provides the bonded work location, and probably pays the salaries.

The difference can be amazing in terms of time. I used to ship a lot to Brazil, and used a combination of Fed Ex and USPS Priority Mail. The Fed Ex package would be out of customs the same day. USPS could languish a week before it was ready.

The choice was my customers, with Fed Ex being much more expensive than USPS,, especially as the weight went up. I was shipping servers at the time, generally, and some spare parts.

Another thing, if you know someone who ships a lot of Fed Ex or UPS, the discounts are huge, as much as 50% for big users.

On the other hand, if you walk into a Mailboxes Etc, or other 3rd party, you will pay double for the same shipment, as you would the "rack rate".

Finally, you can go onlline and generate a Fed Ex label, easily and quickly. Pay for it with a CC
    You get an automatic 15% discount off the rack rate.
    You print out the label on a standard sheet of paper, fold it in half, and any Fed Ex location will have a free plastic jacket to use to attach the label.

If it's an envelope (documents) going to a foreign country, customs declaration is minimal. If it's a package, it's trickier, but you will figure it out.
    The system is designed to standardize everything so the info can be transmitted digitally.

Active TRN Member

Quote Originally Posted by methionine View Post
    Hey guys,

After three years, and various projects, in Nicaragua I decided to move back to Canada and explore some other options (would like to one day live in Nicaragua again). I began applying for jobs and received a conditional job offer from the government, a job I would consider a "dream" job, for lack of a better word.

Anyways, everything went smoothly until it came time for a security check. Obviously, three years in Nicaragua raised a few cautious eye brows and they have asked for a few bits of documentation, including a police report (to make sure I wasn't involved in any illicit dealings). The time frame here is very short and I would need to have the original copies delivered and translation (done here). Basically, how do I get an envelope of letters mailed to Canada in the shortest amount of time as possible?

Anyone have any experience here? In this past I have sent items to Florida, although it took a week or so.

regards,
    Since so much is on the line, and all that we are talking about is sending paper, I would not fuck around trying to save a few bucks and would fedex it by going straight to the fedex depot in Managua and sending it to Canada from there, where it will arrive in less than three working days. Don´t waste any or your time screwing around with aduanas, if it is just paper they will not even look at it.
    Last edited by Mikeh; 03-23-2015 at 07:45 PM.