Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: You think driving to The Port is easy?

Blog Entries

Default You think driving to The Port is easy?

Russians propose a highway connecting London to Alaska. From there you could drive to the bottom of South America...

http://uk.businessinsider.com/russia...ypes=og.shares

Blog Entries

Default Re: You think driving to The Port is easy?

So this is a show of solidarity with Daniel?.......Two stupid construction projects?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

That would be an awesome road trip. Shame Vlad is such a retard.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Tip : Watch this ... Long but a HOOT !!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Way_Round

It was on Hulu at one time...
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

I figured summer would be the best time to do the trip but it looks like the snow melt and mosquitoes are pretty bad.

Good to see the border crossings are basically the same as Central America.

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Tip : Watch this ... Long but a HOOT !!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Way_Round

It was on Hulu at one time...
    It's on Netflix now. I've only watched one episode so far, but I love the amount of thought and preparation that they are putting into the trip. If you've got to be crazy, be crazy with a plan.
    Soy el chele mono.

Banned

THE LATEST:

Some of you had expressed an interestin what I was planning, so here is the latest results.Of what I have learned:

I did consider driving to one of the ports in the US, and then shipping my belongings by sea on one of the Passenger/Freights haulers. “ Can't be done”. --- Because of myage, Their insurance won't allow it, ((no doctors on board) and also, they will not accept animals as passengers. (So I am back to the necessity of driving all the way.)

I will be driving straight thru Mexico as a freight hauler ( yes, it is possible) them getting a trourist isa when reach the four state area

At that point I will become somewhat of a Nomad, Checking out various places which whet my interest. Including several places in the southern part of Nicaragua.

AND::--- at that point I will check with recent returnies from “THE PORT” (heh heh) as to the“CURRENT” condition of the road to the port NOTE: I will not be relying on the reports of persons who may have traveled to road in the last year, 2, or five years,(or maybe never) but drivers who have just passed thru the area. ----The bus drivers maybe?
    While I may take the bus to see for myself,(and leave the driving to“others”) and visit the port out if curiosity, I Will not(repeat) WILL NOT” waste my time or money to run a full “recon”on a place which I may not even be able to move to.

If I am not satisfied with any of the previous areas, there is always Colombia.

More later, maybe

Blog Entries

OK. Doniston took the bait . . . . . . . . .
    or y'all tired of . . .
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Blog Entries

OK Doniston...sounds like a decent plan.

When do you leave?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by doniston View Post
    If I am not satisfied with any of the previous areas, there is always Colombia.

More later, maybe
    Mean while, On another forum, Doniston types the question "How do I drive the Darion Gap in a Chevy Silvarado with a trailer" and is offended by the replies that he receives....

Now not to be a completely Negative Ninny - The last time I checked the robbers were charging a typical 3 to 4 thousand bucks to ferry from Panama to Columbia.

Banned

you sir are a damned LIAR. I did no such thing and I've never even heard of the Darian Gap.

Most of the time you don't know what you are lying about.

Blog Entries

I think the word is "satire."

Blog Entries

you sir are a damned LIAR. I did no such thing and I've never even heard of the Darian Gap.

Most of the time you don't know what you are lying about.

You are such a hair trigger old codger aren't you -

Well this is something you can google -

The Darien gap - you can not drive to Columbia (Had wrong spelling) but I would like to see you try..

Darién Gap

Blog Entries

Do people still use the word "Pwnd"?

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    You are such a hair trigger old codger aren't you -

Well this is something you can google -

The Darien gap - you can not drive to Columbia (Had wrong spelling) but I would like to see you try..

Darién Gap

I met three people about three years ago checking out of CR at Peñas Blancas. They had a pretty impressive rig, a Ford F350 King Cab towing a small Airstream (maybe 15 feet, single axle). They had two big dirt bikes in the bed of the truck.

They had attempted to breach the Darien Gap on the motorcycles, but didn't succeed. I didn't have a huge amount of time to talk to them, but it sounded like they had a hell of a time trying, and didn't regret the trip. Most of my conversation was with the woman who was with them, as we waited to get get checked out.

So, if Doniston added a MC to his rig, Colombia might be do-able.

I imagine that people must ride MC's around the area, and it makes sense that the track would get more useable year by year. You see lots of MC's in Nicaragua on some of the rottenest tracks.

This is the dry season, and I would venture to guess that, taking it very slow and easy, Doniston COULD make it to PC with his rig. I see his biggest problem being with his vehicle prior to getting a residency. He can return to Managua (or send someone with a Carta Poder) for one 30 day extension of his tourist permit. The vehicle does not have to be there.

The problem I see is with the timing. He could start on his residency, but it will probably not arrive quickly enough to manage the duty-free import of the truck and his goods. Assumming the truck is older, this might not be a problem for him, as the import duty on old trucks is small,, and entering at El Espino, much of his stuff --- if it is personal and used, will come in duty free. He could just go ahead and do the inport and pay the piper. He then has to plan on a week somewhere to complete the registration process. Read on for another limitation.

Or, he could take the overstay hit of $2 day on his tourist permit, plus a $50 fine,, which really isn't much. At his age, he may never pay it. They don't come looking for you, it's when you finally want to leave Nicaragua that you have a problem. I have no idea how comprehensive the transito oversight is in PC.

IS there Transito in PC?

Here in Condega, for example, there is absolutely no Transito interaction as long as you don't get on the Pan AM. I know a lot of people drive up in the hills outside of Condega without registration, insurance, or DL's. Surprisingly, most of the MC riders use helmets, but it could be as much for the dust as to protect their heads. Transito LOVES hlemet-less MC riders. It's their fastest and easiest money. I understand the bribe is C$50.

You need a polyca (customs declaration) for the import. This involves physical inspection of the motor and chassis numbers, and also, a listing of all the various parameters: gasoline, AC, cyinders, on and on. This is going to be available at the borders or in Managua --or for all I know, it might be available in PC as well. This customs information is then verified for Transito at the mechanical inspection. After a week of standing in line at Transito (you don't have to do it, but someone does), you finally get a provisional registration (circulation). Eventually, the final registration will be available (keep checking back, which involves standing in line when you show up). It's good for five years -Thank God. Insurance is $55 /year. There are some other small fees, local road tax, mechanical inspection. Standing in line at two different banks.

Gas has been running me $3.40 if I am doing the calculation correctly.

Doniston will have to find a straw man he can trust, or do an SA. He can't complete the registration process with his tourist permit and passport.
    Perhaps someone on this site with a residency will volunteer to be the straw man, and run the registration gauntlet.

We finally got the "real" registration for our truck this week (brought it in January of last year); and have been promised plates next year. In the meantime we can drive it, but our California plates are a magnet for every hungry Transito, looking for easy money from unsuspecting tourists. It's not that we have to pay anything, but outside of our local stomping grounds, we get pulled over at every checkpoint. The truck is legal in every way; it's just the time you lose dealing with Transito that becomes annoying. Luckily, the truck spends most of its time on the farm, and there is no revision there.

Blog Entries

The Coast is crawling with Law right now. I do not understand the need to drive in his case, bring the pups on the plane, easy. Move around the Country by taxi, cheaper than a vehicle for personal travel.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Banned

for the first damned time you have said something that was new to me. and I wouldn't have a Hair trigger if you weren't such an A'hole. If positions were reversed, I would had simply said it can't be done, and stated why. (and maybe even suggested a way around the problem).

I tend to think if the positions were reversed you would know better than to be such an idiot to people trying to help you

Blog Entries

Let it rest, you have been an idiot jackass, except the consequences, you got some good advice. Take it or not.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

\ (and maybe even suggested a way around the problem).
    That's why I said the ferry you cantankerous old codger - Geez..

Ferry

This price defiantly looks better,,,

I think it can be done, but as many pointed out, WHY??

The thread started out with many suggesting alternative places to live.. ... and offering excellent reasons why the coast might not be the best choice, given all the personal information provided by Doniston.

However, many of us do really dumb things, and somehow survive the experience.
    Look at the old guys with the Nica GF's one half or one third their age (or in Doniston's case, 1/4 his age).

And, dumb is a relative word. Doniston might yet amaze us all.
    I wouldn't put any serious money on him, but if he gets to Nicaragua I might wager a few bucks that he will find his way to the port.

God watches over ... well, you know.

I've been fascinated with the Darien Gap for a few years now. I got to visit an Embera village in 2010 while I was visiting my parents with my younger brother. They told us about the impassible jungle of eastern Panama (unless you happen to be an Embera) as well as its history. I got sucked in by all of the stories of people attempting to make a road through that jungle and the universal failure (and usually disaster) that met them. There are difficult roads (like the road to Port). There are places where "road" is more of a wishful thought (like western Mongolia). There are places where the roads can only be traversed with massive truck and a crew of road workers (like the road of bones in Siberia). And then there are the very special and rare places (like the Darien Gap) where passage is literally impossible to modern vehicles. The Embera create old-school dug out canoes and then portage them through the densest jungle on the planet between the numerous waterways in the Gap. Even the Embera don't have a road or a trail through that jungle. I find the mystic of places like this to be a sirens song to me...maybe because as mankind tames the world there are fewer and fewer places like them.

Thanks again for mentioning "The Long Way Around" bill_bly_ca; It has a great arc, it is transportive, and I enjoyed it a great deal.
    Soy el chele mono.

Banned

Recognizing the way you twist words, I Imagine you really did mean defiantly.

Blog Entries

Recognizing the way you twist words, I Imagine you really did mean defiantly.

I did - I am illiterate in more than one language..

Banned

=KeyWestPirate;

The thread started out with many suggesting alternative places to live.. ... and offering excellent reasons why the coast might not be the best choice, given all the personal information provided by Doniston.
    Yet none of you have the slightest idea why it is the best chose for me. and the fact that the hardships do exist is the very reason I am attracted to it.

Doniston might yet amaze us all.
    I wouldn't put any serious money on him, but if he gets to Nicaragua I might wager a few bucks that he will find his way to the port.
    BET ON IT!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast