Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: You think driving to The Port is easy?

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: You think driving to The Port is easy?

Quote Originally Posted by drlemcor View Post
    Thanks again for mentioning "The Long Way Around" bill_bly_ca; It has a great arc, it is transportive, and I enjoyed it a great deal.
    There was a second - "The long way down" to Cape town - Good also, but not as honest as the first.

I would like to drive from Tuk(tuyaaqtuuqt) to Tierra del Fuego but Chilo wants nothing to do with that..
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Must be snowing up there again.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Must be snowing up there again.
    It stops between May and Sept... Most years..

Blog Entries

Bill, do not soil yourself with this person.

Doniston, Bill is one of the nicest (and smartest) people on this forum, to talk bad on him only makes you more unlikeable. You going to move to this part of the World you better learn to choose your battles, you picked a losing one with Bill. Find an enemy you can beat.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Bill, do not soil yourself with this person.
    That...... Depends......

TRN Luster in Chief Jimmy Carter's Avatar
    the happy home, with trees and flowers and chirping birds and basket weavers who sit and smile

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    That...... Depends......
    I've looked on many women with lust. I've committed adultery in my heart many times. Maybe if I had gotten laid, I wouldn't be such a nincompoop?

Blog Entries

Don´t know why I bother as Doniston will just dispute it. Saw a post on FB last night from someone who recently made the trip from MGA, 30 hours going and 25 hours on the way back.
    Ernie K Doe

Banned

[QUOTE=cookshow;145076]Don´t know why I bother as Doniston will just dispute it. Saw a post on FB last night from someone who recently made the trip from MGA, 30 hours going and 25 hours on the way back.[/QUOTE] 5 --Don't know what FB is, but Why would I dispute something that I don't understand, or is not a complete thought?

From MCA to where? and if it happens to be to or from "THE PORT" I have never disputed the evidence but choose to determine my actions Based on CURRENT conditions, not what has been, and might not be the same now.

As to your last two posts.

You may believe Bill is a nice Guy but that's just your opinion. I think he is an A'hole. But this does explain why YOU abruptly turned on me.

Actually, I don't want to BEAT him, or anyone else. In his case however I would rather not associate with him at all. and I certainly never want to meet him. I want nothing to do with him, but his comments make that relatively impossible

As for smartest? I doubt that, he even screwed up his response to your "snow" post. his comment was quite inaccurate. He must have guesstimated both months..

and as for your own logic:----What does possible snow in Wisconsin have to do with what goes on here?
    Last edited by doniston; 03-29-2015 at 08:11 AM.

Blog Entries

Yes, MGA to The Port.

Current Conditions is a loaded term. We can get 200 inches (17 feet) of rain a year, what is current one day may have no relevance the next day if it rains 12 inches in 6 hours (not all that rare of an occurrence). Huelgas pop up at a moments notice. Meteorites fall from the sky (anyone ever hear any more about that, kinda got swept under the rug). Anything could happen.

Far as me turning, don´t know I would go so far as all that, just tiring to see someone (who has never visited The Port or even The Nicaragua) criticize valid info.

Honestly, you have got a lot of good information from a lot of people with Boots on the Ground Experience, something you do not have. Disregarding most all of the advice you may find that when you do get Boots on the Ground the Boots don´t fit. Most of the advice you have gotten is the same general advice people here would give no matter where in Nicaragua you were interested in.
    Ernie K Doe

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    It stops between May and Sept... Most years..
    Out west we have bad skiing June July and August - the other months are variable.
    Foreign aid might be defined as a transfer of money from poor people in rich countries
    to rich people in poor countries.

Quote Originally Posted by doniston View Post
    [QUOTE=cookshow;145076]

In his case however I would rather not associate with him at all. and I certainly never want to meet him. I want nothing to do with him, but his comments make that relatively impossible
    So why do you keep coming back for more ?

Quote Originally Posted by alki View Post
    One word TROLL
    Foreign aid might be defined as a transfer of money from poor people in rich countries

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alki View Post
    because he doesn't have enough enemies yet?

Banned

Of course current is relative to the day before (I quess), but tell me. Are there no news reports that state the amount of rain in a given area? Doesn't that have a bearing?

Huelgas???? are you talking about Methane deposits? What have either Meteorites or methane have to do with road conditions?

criticize valid info.??????? kindly show me where I have critisized "VALID" information

Honestly, you have got a lot of good information from a lot of people with Boots on the Ground Experience, something you do not have.
    There are only two persons who have shown actually first hand" knowlege of the area in question, Key West, and JPJW ----the rest fit in the next comment

Most of the advice you have gotten is the same general advice people here would give no matter where in Nicaragua you were interested in.
    Agreed, and that's the problem Bill and Ms Brown talk a good game, but in most cases seem to be ad-libing information they have gained from folks who may have experienced the issues in the past ----often one, two, or five years in the past. and giving the same advice for Granada and Puerto Cabezas, doesn't make a bit of sense, especially when others are saying how different the areas are.

Blog Entries

I give up
    Ernie K Doe

Banned

I have as much right to post here as any of the rest of you. If you attact me,, I am likely to respond. actually,it is a waste of time otherwise I don't really mind being attact tho, and the only ones who bother me in the slightest, is Bill, Ms Brown, and another which seems to have toned down his commentary lately.

and JONH, if that's all it takes to make enemies here, the forum isn't worth considering.

Blog Entries

Methane deposits...

"attact"

Attract an Attack?

I'll give it a go {cracks knuckles and stretches neck}.

The word "huelga" means "strike" in Spanish. The implication is that the people who live along the stretch of road you intend to travel on the way to Port (as well as the people who live along any stretch of road in Nicaragua for that matter) might decide to shut down the road to protest gas prices, or low fares on buses (if we're talking about bus drivers), or too much competition by motorcycle taxis (if we're talking about regular taxi drivers), or a canal being built by the Chinese that relocated people in its projected path, or something they saw on the news that day, etc, etc.

Meteorologists have a poor reputation everywhere (even in Canada and the U.S. and in Western Europe) because they are incapable of being certain in their projections. They tell people it will be sunny and clear, many people make vacation plans based on those projections, and then it ends up raining--that kind of thing. Still, despite their poor reputation, they are correct more often than not because they are playing the odds of an ever developing science of pattern recognition. You need to understand that the level of uncertainty is astronomically higher on the Dangerous Atlantic Coast of Nicaragua then it is in Canada or in the U.S. or in Europe. You can set out on a day projected to be dry and end up in the heaviest torrential downpour of the year, and nobody even finds this odd. In Nicaragua people (in general) have grown accustomed to expecting the unexpected precisely because the uncertainty principle rules.

"Information" versus "Opinions" has been a reoccurring theme--and I'd like to take a crack at that topic too.

In the field of scientific study, no matter how much empirical data is gathered and no matter how flawless the methodology might have been, a study is not considered valid until it is passed through a gauntlet of "experts." When these people approve of the study--it is considered valid. When these people don't approve--it is considered invalid. So, the success or failure of a scientific study (what most people today consider to be fact or information) is dependent on the opinions of experienced men/women. My point being that the line between information and opinion is not as cut and dried as it has been suggested.

Another way of looking at it is that you can place a certain level of value on something that is presented as information (maybe because it is stated using dry clinical words) and you can place a certain level of value on something that is presented as an opinion (maybe because it is stated using conditional and/or emotional words). You have made it clear that you value things presented as information higher than things presented as opinions. I contest that the words we select to disseminate what we know should not be the most important factor in determining value. I know that this is not the only factor you use; you also use geographical and chronological proximity, but I would argue that these aren't the most important factor in determining value either. There are people who have become experts in many facets of life in Nicaragua (in general) and Port (specifically) due to repeated visits (even if they don't actually live there now), family connections (they know and/or are related to people who live there now), and practical work experience through these areas over many years. I contend that an "opinion" from a person with this level of practical "boots on the ground" experience should be valued much higher then "information" presented by dusty academics or unverifiable sources or third person accounts. One of the most beautiful and undervalued things about the therealnicaragua.com (TRN) community is that you are getting information in the form of expert opinions from first hand accounts. Of course, it is just my opinion that expertise and experience should be valued highly.
    Soy el chele mono.

if that's all it takes to make enemies here, the forum isn't worth considering.

Is that all ? I guess people do not like being insulted, I mean you are only upset with 4 of the 6 regular posters and you have deemed the others unworthy of giving you advice of any kind. You seem to be the last to realize that you are little more than a form of amusement

Of course current is relative to the day before (I quess), but tell me. Are there no news reports that state the amount of rain in a given area? Doesn't that have a bearing?

Huelgas???? are you talking about Methane deposits? What have either Meteorites or methane have to do with road conditions?

criticize valid info.??????? kindly show me where I have critisized "VALID" information

There are only two persons who have shown actually first hand" knowlege of the area in question, Key West, and JPJW ----the rest fit in the next comment

Agreed, and that's the problem Bill and Ms Brown talk a good game, but in most cases seem to be ad-libing information they have gained from folks who may have experienced the issues in the past ----often one, two, or five years in the past. and giving the same advice for Granada and Puerto Cabezas, doesn't make a bit of sense, especially when others are saying how different the areas are.
    This has to be some of the funniest shit I have ever read on TRN. Oh man did I laugh.

These conversations are staged right? So a dumbass like me thinks they are real. C'mon, ya'll can fess up and tell me?

Drlemcor: Definitions and meaning are odd things in Nicaragua, at least I found that. See in most of the Spanish speaking world "Manana" means tomorrow. Not so in Nicaragua, where it truly means "just not today". Equally, "Huelga" does indeed mean strike. In Nicaragua I found that "Huelga" doesn't mean strike, it really means an act by collection of individuals that are pissed off at something intended to disrupt the hell out of a as many other people's lives as possible, come what may.

Bless you for trying though.

Quote Originally Posted by RGV AG View Post
    "Huelga" does indeed mean strike. In Nicaragua I found that "Huelga" doesn't mean strike, it really means an act by collection of individuals that are pissed off at something intended to disrupt the hell out of a as many other people's lives as possible, come what may.
    Thank you for the clarification. I've noticed the same thing, but I didn't (until now) connect the dots that the pissed off disruptions common in Nicaragua don't match the strike behavior from a company in the States. Thus, "strike" must be an unfit definition. ...I guess I just got so used to the common usage of the word "huelga" in Nicaragua that I never stopped to think about it.
    Soy el chele mono.

Blog Entries

I've heard the general pissed-off demonstrations called "manifestaciones." Since they probably skip work do do it, it's sort of a strike.

Banned

And I will try to respond properly with my form of logic.

The word "huelga" means "strike" in Spanish.

Since we are all speaking English here, I think he could have called a strike a strike. I went phonetically to come up with the possibility he meant some form of gas.
    I did know of the strikes, but did not know they were called huelgas. I am just learning Spanish.

Meteorologists have a poor reputation everywhere (even in Canada and the U.S. and in Western Europe)***** You can set out on a day projected to be dry and end up in the heaviest torrential downpour of the year, and nobody even finds this odd.

I agree with the first part, but I find it very hard to believe the later part. No weatherman worth his salt would mistake a clear day for a possible downpour of that sort

"Information" versus "Opinions"

You seem to have chosen to make a three part situation into a two-parter. It should also include advice. To me, information is very much akin to opinion, in that opinions are most often part of the information imparted. advice is another matter, and is much divorced from either of the other two. Advice doesn't have to be based on anything factual. I have absolutely nothing against advice, but I reserve the right to determine what advice is worthwhile to me.

Quote Originally Posted by drlemcor View Post
    Thank you for the clarification. I've noticed the same thing, but I didn't (until now) connect the dots that the pissed off disruptions common in Nicaragua don't match the strike behavior from a company in the States. Thus, "strike" must be an unfit definition. ...I guess I just got so used to the common usage of the word "huelga" in Nicaragua that I never stopped to think about it.
    You get to love the smell of burning tires!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast