Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: You think driving to The Port is easy?

TRN Luster in Chief Jimmy Carter's Avatar
    the happy home, with trees and flowers and chirping birds and basket weavers who sit and smile

Lightbulb Re: You think driving to The Port is easy?

The Doniston needs to experience tropical weather. And sorry, but news reports on weather require someone or something to report the weather.

There is no doppler weather radar coverage in NicaLandia. There are very very few automated weather reporting stations in Nicaragua -- and those are 1990's technology and (barely) report the basics: temp, wind speed, direction. I can count on one hand the automated stations that report things such as dew point, relative humidity, isobaric pressure, etc. None -- none at all on the DAC or in THE Port.

I have -- quite literally -- stood on one side of the street in the sunshine while the rain poured down in buckets on the other side. In The Port!

I have -- quite literally and on numerous occasions -- watched one small cloud in an otherwise clear sunny sky grow to a cumulonimbus giant 25km across and probably 10,000 meters high over the course of an hour. Said clouds have dumped as much as 3" of rain in 1.5 hours -- and this was not on the road to THE Port where conditions are even more prone to drastic weather change.

The only other place I've ever experienced such dramatic, drastic, tho well-predicted weather events was in Aridzona where a dry creek bed could become a 3 meter deep raging river in the blink of an eye.

Doniston, you will get no warnings here of flash floods, tornadic activity, nor pretty weather girls showing off the latest doppler radar returns and the 5-day forecast. Does not exist.

It is a whole 'nother country.

Lead floats. Cork sinks.

The Land of the Not-Quite-Right.
    I've looked on many women with lust. I've committed adultery in my heart many times. Maybe if I had gotten laid, I wouldn't be such a nincompoop?

TRN Luster in Chief Jimmy Carter's Avatar
    the happy home, with trees and flowers and chirping birds and basket weavers who sit and smile

Default Re: You think driving to The Port is easy?

Quote Originally Posted by thom View Post
    You get to love the smell of burning tires!
    And the smell from the morteros too! Man, I love a good huelga!

Also have heard them referred to as choques which I think literally means "accident" even tho they are not.

Learn Spanish.

Then learn Nica Spanish.

Then learn your Nica family's Spanish (pinche gringo, hueputa gringo loco, chilo loco etc).
    I've looked on many women with lust. I've committed adultery in my heart many times. Maybe if I had gotten laid, I wouldn't be such a nincompoop?

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by doniston View Post
    and the only ones who bother me in the slightest, is Bill, Ms Brown, and another which seems to have toned down his commentary lately.

==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

and JONH, if that's all it takes to make enemies here, the forum isn't worth considering.
    But he sells tickets Damn nothing like a knock roll around to bring out the posters from the wood work. - I can almost see the draw of reality television without actually watching an episode yet -

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Carter View Post
    And sorry, but news reports on weather require someone or something to report the weather.
    You Sir are a Damned Liar (you know how hard that is to work into day to day conversations). What do you mean no weather reports? DSB calls or messages me all the time for weather reports so he will know what is coming towards The Port.

Doniston would probably argue with my rain gauge given half a chance.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    But he sells tickets Damn nothing like a knock roll around to bring out the posters from the wood work. - I can almost see the draw of reality television without actually watching an episode yet -
    next I'll be accused of Doniston being my Alt, created solely to boost post counts.

Active TRN Member
    Blog Entries

Howdy Doniston, have you missed me ?

I'm still here as always but usually only reads the posts.

---------
    Seems to be a hilarious thread again but I'm out of popcorn out here on the Sayan Princess. Oh well guys, please keep it alive until I get back home 8th of april - got ice cold brew and popcorn back home.

He seems quite good to draw the attention of a silent crowd, isn't he?

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I must admit the weather reports from Cookshoe ARE quite accurate....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el Cid View Post
    Seems to be a hilarious thread again but I'm out of popcorn out here on the Sayan Princess. Oh well guys, please keep it alive until I get back home 8th of april - got ice cold brew and popcorn back home.

I read about 4.2 MegaWatt - So I think it is not the electricity to pop the pop corn is what you lack..

Princess

Active TRN Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    I read about 4.2 MegaWatt - So I think it is not the electricity to pop the pop corn is what you lack..

Princess
    Yep, that's the one

She is juiced up but our cook has forgotten to buy popcorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Carter View Post
    And the smell from the morteros too! Man, I love a good huelga!

Also have heard them referred to as choques which I think literally means "accident" even tho they are not.

Learn Spanish.

Then learn Nica Spanish.

Then learn your Nica family's Spanish (pinche gringo, hueputa gringo loco, chilo loco etc).

So that's what they are saying about me when my back is turned !

And why can I understand everyone in Mexico and Guatemala, and no one in Nicaragua ?? Especially the campo. Frustrating.

Actually, I kind of like being known as a --- hueputa gringo loco. I might get a tattoo ...... my first.

"burning tires ..."

Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
    Lance: What?
    Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that.
    [kneels]
    Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like
    [sniffing, pondering]
    Kilgore: victory. Someday this war's gonna end... and all we'll have left is ... . . .Nicaragua

[suddenly walks off]

Banned

+
    don't worry. in time you will get over that thing you've got with me

Blog Entries

I hate to nag but when are you heading out for CA?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

+
    don't worry. in time you will get over that thing you've got with me
    Yes, but herpes tends to come back over and over.

To me, information is very much akin to opinion, in that opinions are most often part of the information imparted. advice is another matter, and is much divorced from either of the other two. Advice doesn't have to be based on anything factual. I have absolutely nothing against advice, but I reserve the right to determine what advice is worthwhile to me.
    I understand. I remember moments from my personal life when someone has offered me unsolicited advice and my response has been to give them a cool stare, so I have the emotional memory to relate to how you might find unsolicited advice distasteful.

That being said, I don't believe that this paradigm applies to the TRN community. Here, advice is the way people show they care and try to help each other. You can use this site as an encyclopedia or as a search engine by lurking or using the search function, but once you actively engage with the community by posting you will get advice. I understand that you can (and have) made the argument that people shouldn't give advice, but this is simply not going to happen; it goes against the grain of the culture developed here since its inception.

If you look back at the start of your postings, you will see that the people here went out of their way to offer you advice out of the kindness of their heart and a sense of humanity. It was only when you not only failed to thank them for their kindness but also criticized them for giving their (well-meaning) advice instead of simply answering your questions with facts that the worm turned.

I can empathize that you may have felt like the unsolicited advice was condescending and/or insulting, and that you lashed out based on this assumption. Some of us are rough around the edges, and a degree of insulting may also be unavoidable if you chose to engage by posting, but I believe it to be good natured ribbing. I'm sorry you (we) got off on the wrong foot. These people have helped me more times than I can count--occasionally by directly responding to my posts and many more times without even knowing as I lurked on this site absorbing knowledge on the down-low.
    Last edited by drlemcor; 03-30-2015 at 05:20 PM. Reason: My spelling sucks.
    Soy el chele mono.

Blog Entries

It's like we are Peter Sellers and Doniston is the dog.

Banned

????????????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!

????????????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!
    Easy for you to say!
    Foreign aid might be defined as a transfer of money from poor people in rich countries
    to rich people in poor countries.

Banned

I understand that you can (and have) made the argument that people shouldn't give advise, but this is simply not going to happen; it goes against the grain of the culture developed here since its inception.

If you look back at the start of your postings, you will see that the people here went out of their way to offer you advise out of the kindness of their heart and a sense of humanity. It was only when you not only failed to thank them for their kindness but also criticized them for giving their (well-meaning) advise instead of simply answering your questions with facts that the worm turned.

First paragraph. Whether you believe it or not, what you relate here, NEVER HAPPENED I have stated that I isten to, and appreciate their advice, but Ichose to take it or not at MY DISCRETION>

Second paragraph--- Maybe YOU had better read back on ALL my posts before you make such a statement. As much as I hate to say it. In many cases, it does not sound or feel as it is offered out of the goodness of their heart but rather as dictatorial requirements. and again, My complaint is that you folks seem bent on giving advice (whether you were there or not or simply second-handed) rather than information, especially current info

.Sorry of you don't agree.

Sorry of you don't agree.[/COLOR]
    No problem. I don't need (or even seek for) people to agree with me. I'm content just feeling that I have understood and been understood.

Thank you for taking the time to clarify your position.
    Soy el chele mono.

Blog Entries

I hate to nag Doniston, but when are you heading out for CA?
    Last edited by Little Corn Tom; 03-30-2015 at 05:52 PM.

Damn it. I just realized that I misspelled "advice" in my entire response. Where were you that time spell checker?
    Soy el chele mono.

Quote Originally Posted by drlemcor View Post
    I've been fascinated with the Darien Gap for a few years now. I got to visit an Embera village in 2010 while I was visiting my parents with my younger brother. They told us about the impassible jungle of eastern Panama (unless you happen to be an Embera) as well as its history. I got sucked in by all of the stories of people attempting to make a road through that jungle and the universal failure (and usually disaster) that met them. There are difficult roads (like the road to Port). There are places where "road" is more of a wishful thought (like western Mongolia). There are places where the roads can only be traversed with massive truck and a crew of road workers (like the road of bones in Siberia). And then there are the very special and rare places (like the Darien Gap) where passage is literally impossible to modern vehicles. The Embera create old-school dug out canoes and then portage them through the densest jungle on the planet between the numerous waterways in the Gap. Even the Embera don't have a road or a trail through that jungle. I find the mystic of places like this to be a sirens song to me...maybe because as mankind tames the world there are fewer and fewer places like them.

Thanks again for mentioning "The Long Way Around" bill_bly_ca; It has a great arc, it is transportive, and I enjoyed it a great deal.

Its has fascinated me as well, and im jealous of your visit to the Embera village. My wife and I have plans to go basically as far into the gap as is allowed, or that we can get, etc.
    We tried to head down there recently, but apparently didnt have the proper permission slips from the nica police for our moto to take it into Panama (its registered in nicaragua), so the bike got stopped at the border. We passed over, but cut our trip short as the whole purpose was to moto it for the most part. Id like to try again after the rainy season if i can figure out the "proper" paperwork to get.

Hey KWP, you forgot the most common ones, Gringo Jodido and Cerdo Viejo! and since when does anyone here say anything to ones back? Its right up front in living nicalanguage.

Actually, I take Cerdo Viejo as a compliment.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

​Poster/bumper sticker from the 1970s

Maybe YOU had better read back on ALL my posts before you make such a statement. As much as I hate to say it. In many cases, it does not sound or feel as it is offered out of the goodness of their heart but rather as dictatorial requirements. and again, My complaint is that you folks seem bent on giving advice (whether you were there or not or simply second-handed) rather than information, especially current info

.Sorry of you don't agree.[/COLOR]

You just didnt like what people said

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast