Thread: Itīs Getting HOT

Blog Entries

Default Itīs Getting HOT

Woke up around 2 covered in sweat, even half asleep I quickly realized the problem, the fan had stopped, could see from the light on the computer that the light was not out. Got up messed with the fan got it working, laying in bed enjoying the breeze and it goes off again, this time the light had gone out. Light came back on a short time later, fan did not come back on. I rolled over and went back to sleep.

One thing you see over and over in the move to Nicaragua propaganda is that you do not need a/c. True that many of the older houses are built for coolness, my house, like most on the Island is built for maximum ventilation but if you are going to be renting you may not find a well designed house or one in a breezy spot.

People with any kind of respiratory problems must hate this time of year. I call it the burning season. Have flown to MGA in April and May and sometimes it looks like the entire Country is on fire. Seldom that going into the rainy season I do not have a cough. Few weeks ago Leon was engulfed in a massive dust storm.

The past few years have not seemed as hot and so far this year it has not been too bad as we have had fair breezes but April is always one of the hottest months.

Few months ago we talked about Dehydration in one of the threads, this time of year you have to force water down. I am outside most all day most every day, I usually wake between 4-5, first thing I do is start drinking water, I drink at least a liter everyday before I step foot outside, anytime I wake in the night I wake I drink water, hard to drink enough. I am drinking around 2 gallons a day, and some days that does not feel like enough.

Been having machete work done, gave each of the men a gallon jug to carry water, they were all using liter bottles. I am constantly telling them to drink water, scary how little water these guys drink unless they are reminded.

Somehow every year I manage to put it out of my mind how hot it can get, and every year I get reminded
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Default Re: Itīs Getting HOT

I'm both ashamed and amused that I enjoyed that song as much as I did, "water, water..."

Cookshow, your report on heat and dehydration takes me back. It can be exhausting, but frog help me I love it.
    Soy el chele mono.

Cool note Cookshow, you are absolutely right.

Yeah, it's really hot here too. Not as hot as Leon or Granada, but hot.

10AM and I already have the big living room fan on.

I sleep with a vertical fan --until about this time of year, set on low it keeps the mosquitos away. At this time of year, I switch to one of those portable AC units with the 6" exhaust hose. They are quiet, much quieter than a window unit,, and only require a hole through the wall for the exhaust hose. That hole is easy to make, any good mason will do it and finish it for C$500.

I don't need it all night,, at some point it cools the interior of my bedroom sufficiently, and the outside temp falls to where the fan begins to work for me again.

The problem with the fans at night and Nica electricity is, the electricity is often off for only a second, a minute. I don't understand it.
    But, the fan shuts off in response to the power interruption,, and needs to be manually turned back on.
    Unfortunately, that only happens when you wake up sweaty, with a mosquito buzzing about your face.

On mosquitos, I found that one of those scented candles will repel most mosquitoes.
    The big vanilla scented ones, made in Nicaragua, available at La Colonia for C$70, work surprisingly well.
    I stumbled on this by accident. You just have to like the scent of vanilla, you get more than your money's worth.
    I think they might have other fragrances.
    The candles burn very well and last a long time. It's rare when I find a Hecho en Nicaragua product I can wholeheartedly endorse.

I found an old West Bend citrus juicer somewhere, and brought it down. It's now one of the most used applicances. Oranges are C$15 a dozen, sometimes less. It takes about three dozen and fifteen minutes to make two liters of fresh squeezed OJ (so, cost of $1.40). I tried the handle press type units earlier, but they don't hold up. The one I have works by pressing the orange half over a reamer. The pressure turns on the motor, the juice is extracted, and seeds and larger pulpy parchment is caught by a filter. I've introduced quite a few Nicas to our "screwdriver".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Jui...item3aa61562f1

Some newer pics I don't think I put up yet:

We have internet on the farm; these wading pools are available at Maxi-Pali. I'm curious to see if this one survives Semana Santa. We filled it water from my spring, used a small vacuum cleaner to blow it up.

I've had those Tiki Torches in my bodega for three years, stumbled across them and a half gallon of citronella oil. Muņeca and Luna. More twins pictures,, the young fellow standing is supposedly the 16 YO father, but there is a lot of unspoken doubt. However, his acceptance of the role saved a lot of face for what is a small, very inter-related community. The little girls look like someone else, a fact not lost on anyone at the ceremony.

Ariana bathing the twins, Asmada the mother is her sister.

The evangelicals do a presentation, with baptism coming at about 12 years of age.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KeyWestPirate; 03-29-2015 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    WTH yall watching? Disney playing Doctor . . .

Blog Entries

You don't have a 4 year old?

Just say'n, Disney is know for that sort of stuff.

Blog Entries

Now that I see your dirty picture on my computer, not my phone, I'm appalled I tell you. Just appalled.

Appalled, at the gutter-level-mindedness of you people on my forum.

The first big step on the road to the depths of deg-ra-day--
    I say, first, Melissa's tinctures from a teaspoon, then Toņa from a bottle.
    An' the next thing ya know, your son is farmin' plantains on DAC.
    And list'nin to some big out-a-town Jasper makin' him tell about driving to the Port.

Not a wholesome superhighway drive, no!
    But a week long trek where they push the bus right out of the mud!
    Like to see some stuck-up Wisconsin boy broken down in a Chevy truck? Make your blood boil!
    Well, I should say. Friends, lemme tell you what I mean.
    Ya got one, two, three, four, five, six Toņas in a six pack.
    Bottles that mark the diff'rence between a gentlemen and a bum,
    With a capital "B," and that rhymes with "P" and that stands for Port!

Blog Entries

Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Well done

Dang heathen gringos and their lecherous ways . . .

Blog Entries

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...