Thread: Americans obtaining Nicaragua citizenship

Default Americans obtaining Nicaragua citizenship

Has any U.S. citizen here obtained Nicaraguan citizenship (cédula de Nicaragua, passport from Nicaragua)?

I have had residency for 20 years. I am married to a Nicaraguan for 14 years. I specifically want to find more information about the above topic.

I am not interested in giving up my U.S. citizenship.

Thanks!!!

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Americans obtaining Nicaragua citizenship

I have bee told it would be a walk in the park for me if I wanted to do it... But I will not change my flag, so will keep the residency and done. I have no idea what advantages or disadvantages it would give me so I have decided not to even ask or pursue it.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

I've seen a couple of people do it successfully. Phil, for example.

One big problem I see is, what if you DID want to come back to the US?
    Any number of scary scenarios for the future can be envisioned. Looking to Venezuela offers some possibilities:
    Who wants to live in a country with that crime rate, 200% inflation, and more importantly, NO TP
    It hasn't been that many years since Nicaragua was in the same boat. It could get messy again.

I assume you would have to apply for a visa to the US like any other NICA and take your chances (or wipe your butt with banana leaves) ??

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

A nephew had it done recently (Became dual) - He was born in Canada to parents who were still Nica citizens at the time of his birth.

Took him all of 2 weeks, or so he tells me. Couple forms and some noterised papers and a sit down. I did not quiz him thoroughly. Although one of his Uncles has a way of making things "happen" (Like Chilo's celdula in 8 days a few years back)

This Brother In Law tells me he can get me dual citizenship within 2 weeks. I have no interest really.

You do have to look at the ramifications of such a choice though - The one most in my mind would be that if you were charged with something (rightly or wrongly) what nationality would they view you?

This is one reason why Chilo never renewed her passport and only travels under her Canadian pprt, but as she never officially renounced her Nica citizenship she may still be considered dual to the Nica government..
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    A nephew had it done recently (Became dual) - He was born in Canada to parents who were still Nica citizens at the time of his birth.

Took him all of 2 weeks, or so he tells me. Couple forms and some noterised papers and a sit down. I did not quiz him thoroughly. Although one of his Uncles has a way of making things "happen" (Like Chilo's celdula in 8 days a few years back)

This Brother In Law tells me he can get me dual citizenship within 2 weeks. I have no interest really.

You do have to look at the ramifications of such a choice though - The one most in my mind would be that if you were charged with something (rightly or wrongly) what nationality would they view you?

This is one reason why Chilo never renewed her passport and only travels under her Canadian pprt, but as she never officially renounced her Nica citizenship she may still be considered dual to the Nica government..

Canadians can be dual, but I think US still only recognizes one citizenship? So, you would have to be Nicar or US?

Or, has that changed?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    Canadians can be dual, but I think US still only recognizes one citizenship? So, you would have to be Nicar or US?

Or, has that changed?
    I worked closely with a fellow with Corning inc. from 2005 to 2009 - Doing the build out of all of those LCD TV plants in Taiwan and Japan.

He was born in New Brunswick (Canada) but when his father found a Job in Maine they all became US citizens. He was dual Canadian / US Citizen and actually traveled on his Canadian passport even though he lived in the US.

His $0.02 summary was that you can hold dual UNTIL you vote. Once you vote you automatically become a citizen of the country you voted in and had to renounce the other..

But I am not an immigration lawyer, nor do I play one on TV...

P.S. He held both psprts as well, though I only see him use his Cdn one..

" .. .. But I am not an immigration lawyer, nor do I play one on TV....."

Add to this your advice would be as relevant as either the latter or the former above if push came to shove.
    They will make it up as they go.

It would depend on whether the US decided to repatriate its citizens in the event of some calamity.
    I'm reminded of the US pushing all the Germans out of Guatemala during WW II, something the Guatemalans were all too eager to do (since they got the German coffee plantations).

Long shot, very true, but the world does seem to be heating up, and there are some nutty players in the mix.
    I expect DO to announce Nicaragua's right and determination to have their own nuclear weapon any day now.
    With assistance from Iran, Russia, and North Korea,, of course.

I hope I don't live to see the next big one. It's going to be messy.

Folks, easy here. A US citizen can hold dual citizenship, and can vote wherever he or she may be eligible without an issue. Lots of half correct hearsay on this thread.

I have had dual US and Mexican citizenship my entire life. Never an issue.

A U.S. national may acquire foreign nationality by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. national may not lose the nationality of the country of birth. U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one nationality or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another nationality does not risk losing U.S. nationality. However, a person who acquires a foreign nationality by applying for it may lose U.S. nationality. In order to lose U.S. nationality, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign nationality voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. nationality.
    Intent can be shown by the person's statements or conduct. The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause. Claims of other countries on dual national U.S. nationals may conflict with U.S. law, and dual nationality may limit U.S. Government efforts to assist nationals abroad. The country where a dual national is located generally has a stronger claim to that person's allegiance.
    And all you have to do if ever questioned about acquiring another countries citizenship if you applied for it is answer that you applied for it with NO INTENT to renounce your US citizenship.

Think of all the Israeli Americans and such, tons of dual citizens out there.

TRN Member

Nicaragua is different. Nicaraguan Ley 149 clearly requires you to renounce your US citizenship before you apply for Nica citizenship but that law is not enforced. And states you lose Nica citizenship if you become a citizen of another country but obviously not enforced either.
    http://www.acnur.org/biblioteca/pdf/0155.pdf?view=1

Last I heard duallies have to use their nica passport to enter Ni. and their US passport to enter the US, per policies of the respective govmints.

Not much reason for an American/Canadian to have dual citizenship, except for a safe momentary thrill for America-bashers, safe because they can always crawl home if the great workers paradise doesn't work out.

A renewable 5 year ''permanent ' visa works ok. If things get so bad they stop renewing them, most sensible people will leave anyway.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Quote Originally Posted by JohnS View Post
    Nicaragua is different. Nicaraguan Ley 149 clearly requires you to renounce your US citizenship before you apply for Nica citizenship but that law is not enforced. And states you lose Nica citizenship if you become a citizen of another country but obviously not enforced either.
    http://www.acnur.org/biblioteca/pdf/0155.pdf?view=1
    John:
    Yeah, I see what you are saying about the Nica law, especially if you literally take the first paragraph of Article 7 in black and white. But several further articles grant exceptions to the renouncing of citizenship in order to obtain Nicaraguan citizenship. I know of two Americans that have applied and been granted Nica citizenship and did not renounce their US Citizenship, also one Mexican.

Like most things in Nicaragua, I am sure that the citizenship deal is negotiable to a degree.

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    Last I heard duallies have to use their nica passport to enter Ni. and their US passport to enter the US, per policies of the respective govmints.

Not much reason for an American/Canadian to have dual citizenship, except for a safe momentary thrill for America-bashers, safe because they can always crawl home if the great workers paradise doesn't work out.

A renewable 5 year ''permanent ' visa works ok. If things get so bad they stop renewing them, most sensible people will leave anyway.

I guess if you planned to move here, start a dynasty, a la Pellas, Nica citizenship would be important. Your assets MIGHT be safer....
    DO seems to take what he wants, even from prominent Nicas, or long time residents.

http://www.nicaraguahoy.info/tension...-milton-arcia/

Didn't this guy lose quite a bit of his property a couple of years ago? Simply bacause Comandante Zero wanted a piece of it?

http://www.puntateonoste.com/

This is why there will never be independent investor money for the canal.
    Forget the non-existent ROI, forget the environmental concerns.

If China doesn't change their position about funding it, the project is "dead in the water".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2n6ub-_V_w
    Last edited by KeyWestPirate; 04-18-2015 at 11:24 AM.

TRN Lifetime Member
    Blog Entries

I am dual Canadian/ USa......Married An american.......During the American Naturalization ceremony, you renounce ur citizenship to other countries....BUT it means nothing!!! When I enter Canada, I can use my Canadian or American Passport.....they know I'm Canadian as it says where I was born.......BUT when ever I enter the USA, it has to be on a USA Passport. One does not simply give up Cdn citizenship, there is a process to do it and costs $$$$. No clue what the process is as it is something I would never do, very proud Cdn here!!

Yup, It is a process to renounce US citizenship, too. A bad day and a big mouth at the local cantina won't do--you have to go to the US Consulate and render onto Caesar in a manner acceptable to Caesar. And, for your own benefit, find a real country like Switzerland to move to!

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Why even bother? Does it have any real benefits?
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    Why even bother? Does it have any real benefits?

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post

That's it ????????

Seems like a lot of trouble just to become a pinolero.