Thread: DN/DS power rates as a spread sheet & Inside power meter.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default DN/DS power rates as a spread sheet & Inside power meter.

There was a bunch of nattering on the Granada and SJDS lists on power use and power charges.

It appears that some people are unaware how progressive power rates work and automatically assume they are the victim before doing things like "Know what there power use is " and "Reading their power bill and compare it to the meter"

Anyways.. I whipped up this...

Google shared spread sheet.

This is based upon published DN/DS power rates of Apr 27 2015 and an exchange to C$ of 27 to the dollar.

Most of you know the drill already, so this is mostly for the "googl-ites" that visit this thread..

As an aside I recently purchased 2 of of these off of EBAY and they could be of benefit for a power monitor circuit in Nica.

Digital panel meter

You will probably need 2 of these (One for each 120V phase) and you can have it as a working display inside the house to keep a better tabs on your power and to view for any taps on your line. Very simple operation.

I use one for the hot tub and my work shed to get a heads up on the power bill before it arrives. Had them 6 months and are fairly accurate. I will put 2 for sure in our house in Masaya once built.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Default Re: DN/DS power rates as a spread sheet & Inside power meter.

Google shared spread sheet.

is right on the money. I spend right at $80 when I'm not using AC

The idea of using a thermos for the coffee pot never occurred to me and I know that we wander off with the coffee pot warmer left on.

To minimize AC use I painted the zinc with a coating of that "Siliconizer", and it helped a lot but it was expensive.
    It's more expensive than regular paint, and it goes on thick so coverage is less.

Place in Estelí --- I'm just going to spray on white anti-corrosive . . . I think that the reflectivity is more important than the thickness of the paint. Two coats, but spraying it goes really fast.
    We still have June to get through

Estelí has 10 foot ceilings, so that helps too.

Farm: small fireplace or cute wood stove would be an asset there, even in summer night temps drop to where you need covers.

wait. if im reading that right, you are saying that if you use up to 150K it will cost you about 70 US dollars? Because in my apartment we keep it right around 140-150 each month and the bill is right at 20 dollars per month (around 500 cordobas, 470-510 to be exact).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vinyljunkie77003 View Post
    wait. if im reading that right, you are saying that if you use up to 150K it will cost you about 70 US dollars? Because in my apartment we keep it right around 140-150 each month and the bill is right at 20 dollars per month (around 500 cordobas, 470-510 to be exact).
    You could be in a subsidised neighbourhood - These numbers came right off DN/DS web page..

Thats weird. cause ive lived in 3 places so far (all in managua), and all have been the same. that google spreadsheet shows a difference break at 100 (0-100 price level, and 0-250 price level), but ive always heard, and saw a 0-150 price level.
    The difference between 149K and 151K is about 20 dollars. (about 520 cords vs. 1100 cords)

If i stay under 150, i see the normal charge and then it says "subsidio consumo menor 150 KwH". If i break 150, its just the normal charge, without the subsidy. The under 150K is usually about 50%

but even then, when i lived in a large house with A/C in a room, we had upwards of 250K in a month and still barely hit 80 dollars a month.
    Most anyone ive ever talked to has said similar things, regardless of where they live. A lot of friends that i know do things like count the loads they do in the washing machine, etc. to make sure they fall under the 150 limit to keep their rates around 20-25 dollars.

Ive lived in a gated residential area just outside managua, in a pretty poor "dangerous" area, and in just a normal neighborhood.

not trying to call you a liar. Just wondering what makes the discrepancy.
    Maybe Managua is different than the rest of the country?

i did the math on the spreadsheet and think maybe i found the discrepancy.
    on the left there is the KwH, the 4th one is 100,001-150,000. @ 7.35 cords per kwh. but 150x7.35 is only $1102.50. (which is about right....then the under 150K subsidy kicks in and cuts in roughly in half, making the bill 500-550 cords, or $20)

The right column on the spreadsheet though says that if you use all the electricity in that rate up to 150K, its 1893.71. To get that size of a bill you would need to use 253K in a month.

but doing the math, the next line goes to 350K @ 6.85, which is only 2398, but the spreadsheet says that it will cost you 4056 cords to use all 350K (ive never used that much, so i dont know if they add extra fees at that point other than the flat rate. )

Blog Entries

You are right... I had =(C5*150)+F4+F3+F2 But it should only be =(C5*50)+F4+F3+F2

Blog Entries

Multiply the costs x 3 and you will be close to our costs on the Island.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Paradise is worth 3x more is it not...

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post

Is electricity more expensive on the Right Side?
    That seems to be what you are implying.

I suppose it's only fair that you pay extra for the consistent availability, and the higher level of customer service that you enjoy over there.

Blog Entries

More expensive on the Island, Bluefields is less, not sure about Port.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Our bill ran about 700-800 cords in a small rental house in esteli, usual stuff, lavadora, but no ac. When we moved to our house, not much bigger but with more fans, bug zappers, motion detectors, the bill went up to 1100-1200 cords. Not much, but since it isn't comfortable much of the time it is no blessing to get away for $40.

We are away on a family emergency and the house sitter, a young country woman with a small child, is watching the house. The bill runs under 300 cords because she is afraid to use the lavadora and other things. You will be amazed at how bug zappers scare people here!

I use compact florescents and dabble in led's, which don't seem durable. and have painted half the roof white and will get to the other half. Ceilings and ceilings fans are the greatest help, but only a room ac will make the place livable for any but the dedicated masochist.

We also have surge protectors a/o voltage regulators on just about everything. I am looking at a supplemental solar system, but that is just one item in a long list of things to do and money to spend and things to maintain and guard.

Our little country place remains under the subsidy level, 60 cords or so. When we were hooked up to run the neighbors house, it got as high as 150 cords.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    Our bill ran about 700-800 cords in a small rental house in esteli, usual stuff, lavadora, but no ac. When we moved to our house, not much bigger but with more fans, bug zappers, motion detectors, the bill went up to 1100-1200 cords. Not much, but since it isn't comfortable much of the time it is no blessing to get away for $40.

We are away on a family emergency and the house sitter, a young country woman with a small child, is watching the house. The bill runs under 300 cords because she is afraid to use the lavadora and other things. You will be amazed at how bug zappers scare people here!

I use compact florescents and dabble in led's, which don't seem durable. and have painted half the roof white and will get to the other half. Ceilings and ceilings fans are the greatest help, but only a room ac will make the place livable for any but the dedicated masochist.

We also have surge protectors a/o voltage regulators on just about everything. I am looking at a supplemental solar system, but that is just one item in a long list of things to do and money to spend and things to maintain and guard.

Do you enjoy consistent power where you are?
    I was looking at putting something in when I moved to Estelí but we have yet to have a power outage.
    Probably just a switching inverter, and a few batteries.

Power outages were very common in Condega, and could last all day.
    At some point water would be unavailable, apparently no power for pumps. Water would disappear on its own as well.
    We have limited water in the barrio I'm in, but this was not a problem as I already had a tank and pump in Condega that I just moved to Estelí.
    We do have consistent water daily, but in the middle of the night. It's never failed to fill my 1100 liter tank, giving us plenty for the following day.

So far, I am extraordinarily pleased with my move to Estelí.

I like the cooler climate, the restaurants, better services, La Colonia. The list goes on and on.