Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Well - Other than tickets -

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default Well - Other than tickets -

We should be there sometime in the first 3 weeks of Nov.

Chilo got her 3 weeks vacation (One extra one using banked hours)

Hope to fly out to PC for a couple days to see JW and maybe dodge stones thrown by DSB from his balcony ...

The rest of the visit is business. Chilo's Celdula to be renewed - See if Nieces boyfriend (Recent Architect grad) can whip up some plans - Chilo's will for the property - The property paper work - Will also see if BIL can deliver on his promise that he can get me residency in 2 weeks as he boasted - Heck I won't even live there for 5 yrs, so I have to see it to believe it..
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Default Re: Well - Other than tickets -

BIL should start a business if he can get the residency pushed through in two weeks.

Blog Entries

I think it may have something to do with Chilo still having a Celdula - To get residency under marriage you need 2 yrs together - We will be 23 yrs married in July - Together for just over 25.. So that check box has influence supposedly.

Blog Entries

Good luck, that's an ambitious to-do list for a 3-week visit. Getting stoned by DSB is the only one I'll lay odds on accomplishing!

Blog Entries

I am guessing the same - Mind you Chilo's old celdula was processed within a week ...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    - Heck I won't even live there for 5 yrs, ....
    Wow, such advanced planning. Impressive. Now if only the Greeks had . . . But wait the Germans have seen a plot underway for years (to shaft dem krauts).
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    Wow, such advanced planning. Impressive. Now if only the Greeks had . . . But wait the Germans have seen a plot underway for years (to shaft dem krauts).

One Starts Grade 9 in Sept, One starts College in Sept 2017 - They should all be on their own by 2020...

Blog Entries

One Starts Grade 9 in Sept, One starts College in Sept 2017 - They should all be on their own by 2020...

Silly boy......
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

I think it may have something to do with Chilo still having a Celdula - To get residency under marriage you need 2 yrs together - We will be 23 yrs married in July - Together for just over 25.. So that check box has influence supposedly.
    Do your provide the same list,, police, health, birth certificate, income?

INTUR first,, or direct to immigration ?

Blog Entries

We should be there sometime in the first 3 weeks of Nov.
    Might bump into you. We'll be there the second week of Nov, staying through middle of the third. Thinking about trying out a different place to stay this year too - off of Car. Sur, KM8 (ish). Will be working during the first week in the same neighborhood I mentioned to you before, but will be doing some sight-seeing on the weekend, likely in or around Granada.
    "Find out what it is in life that you don't do well - and then don't do that thing." -The most Interesting Man in the World

Blog Entries

KWP: Probably - Chilo will check him this week as the time is now firmed up . (As in browsing reward tickets now)

Stick Man: Plan is 1st to 18 so maybe.

There seems to still be a raft of seats for 35,000 (Delta) or 40,000 (Scair Canada) points and only $175 each on fees.

If Chilo can wrangle out of Oct 31 morning shift the entire trip could be a Copa / Taca / Lacsa hodge podge through both Panama City and San Salvador. (Read in - real baggage allowance and being treated as a human and no US clearance)

KWP: Probably - Chilo will check him this week as the time is now firmed up . (As in browsing reward tickets now)

Stick Man: Plan is 1st to 18 so maybe.

There seems to still be a raft of seats for 35,000 (Delta) or 40,000 (Scair Canada) points and only $175 each on fees.

If Chilo can wrangle out of Oct 31 morning shift the entire trip could be a Copa / Taca / Lacsa hodge podge through both Panama City and San Salvador. (Read in - real baggage allowance and being treated as a human and no US clearance)

It's a damn shame that the US airlines have gone 3rd world. I'm old enough to remember Pan AM and the little knit booties they gave you so you could take your shoes off and walk around in comfort.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Am..._World_Airways

WHERE has our country gone? It used to be so great.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Am..._World_Airways

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    WHERE has our country gone? It used to be so great.
    If you read or converse with any of the Granada expats it has everything to do with someone else (Pick your scape goat) and nothing at all with their middle 20th century dogma

What is more likely is that the US pulled every one up (e.g the G20) and now in a world of (almost) equals it has trouble defining "itself" - But it will again - eventually..

One consolation is, we lived through some of the best times. Our fathers were all WW II vets, you learned not to lie cheat and steal, and those who did were shunned.

Country was not perfect, the racial animus, homophobia, lack of social safety net for some who really needed it. But things were slowly getting better.
    There was a sense of direction, a moral center if you will. People enjoyed working, and took price in their job, family, home, children. Many still do.

The schools taught pride in your country, now they teach shame.

It was a good run for many of us.

Blog Entries

And our tickets are done.

Managed to get 2 return tickets on COPA down and LACA /Avianca back not once having the joy of US customs - 80,000 points total and $240 CDN (About $180 US total)

That worked out well..

Active TRN Member

And our tickets are done.

Managed to get 2 return tickets on COPA down and LACA /Avianca back not once having the joy of US customs - 80,000 points total and $240 CDN (About $180 US total)

That worked out well..
    That´s a great deal Bill. I hope we can hook up while you are down here. You guys will certainly enjoy not having to clear US customs, especially on the way back. In May when I flew from Nicaragua to Canada via MIA, clearing customs in Miami was brutalizing.

It would be a good idea to re-check COPA and Avianca´s check-in baggage allowance. Until recently it was 2 bags for a total of 70 lbs. Avianca I believe recently reduced it to 1 bag / pounds between Canada and Central America.
    Last edited by Mikeh; 07-21-2015 at 07:25 PM.

Speaking of points. United has changed its policies--points are now by ticket price, not miles. United also charges a nuisance fee of $75 for using points less than 30 days before the flight. On my runs they still beat the competition most times, although I would like to do a stopover in Panama someday on one of the other lines.

Did a Miami flight on avianca last year. They are a classier outfit and a better baggage allowance (2 x 35 lbs).

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Blog Entries

On another note cancellation or flight change is $90 each ticket - With the current change in my employment and the interview process I may have to cancel these sweetheart tickets.

On another note cancellation or flight change is $90 each ticket - With the current change in my employment and the interview process I may have to cancel these sweetheart tickets.

Look at this as an opportunity. When can you get a big chunk of time off like that?

Blog Entries

Well so much for the myth that you can fall into another job ...The 22 day point has passed and we are committed on these tickets now.

I had a good 5 weeks with my Dad and his greenhouse. Been a long time since I worked in 95F heat and 80% humidity tearing down a greenhouse. Did not miss it one bit.

The time has been used as an opportunity - Finishing a covered porch, cleaning up a lot of around the house fiddle things that needed to be finished.

So we will be there for the first 2 weeks of Nov.

Pictures to come

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Boy, 5 weeks with your father... That is so good... Wish I could do that again on this side of the grass...

Looking forward to the visit... Now if I get stoned and sing all night long.. Just put me on ignore.....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Pictures to come
    Will be looking forward to them!

Blog Entries

So we will be there for the first 2 weeks of Nov.

Pictures to come
    If you get the chance to be in the SW Managua neighborhood where I have been working in years past, stop by. You can see all the progress we have made on the school.

We will be arriving late on the 7th of November and returning to the US on the 19th, but the last several days will be on the NW coast near Jiliquillo.

We are trying out a new lodging place this year in the neighborhood behind La Union on Car Sur, KM 9, but will be working in the same neighborhood as always during the day.
    "Find out what it is in life that you don't do well - and then don't do that thing." -The most Interesting Man in the World

Blog Entries

So I put the flight summary in the flight section - I think you have all seen it.

The land title - Looks like Lawyer lady sat on her hands until she got our call that were there to pick it up - Everything is done, just the papers do not show up at the Masaya office until the 9th of Dec - Chilo will send her most reliable brother to pick it up. In contrast my other BIL who moved down after 25 yrs up here still has to receive title and was afraid that his $20K would turn into a pumpkin - He paid June 2014 - Good news is that things were just coming together as we left.

Chilo's Celdula - Damn that was easy - Stand in a 5 person line, pay C$300 - Have picture taken, come back next day stand in 2 person line and out...

While at the office most trusted BIL says - Hey lets look up your INSS - So all tolled she has 7 yrs of INSS showing in the computer - That is C$5000/month in todays rates. I told her she should not take it @65 as we wont need it - She said - You crazy - Its mine I earned it, I'm taking it ... Oddly it shows her in Nicaragua working in '86.. But she is sure she left in 85 <shrug> I've stopped trying to establish dates of certain events prior to '90 when I met her - Just too much voodoo date keeping methods.

Met with a fellow who says he can get me residency in a blink of an eye - Currently processing 40 or 50 Koreans and 2 or 300 students - He is full red and black but recommended by BIL Marcos who is as Anti Sandi as you can be - Who knows.. I passed on this trip to go further as 1) No Dr and police check 2) Is only good for 5 yrs and we are still 5 yrs away from meaning full time spans there.

Job is still elusive - Sure I can get a sub $20/hr job - But with the settlement I am in the 46% tax bracket. Right now I am better off working on some projects that could develop into some fair income- One standing offer at $60K which I may take once the tax year rolls over - It is a fair bit from what I was making before but there are perks that fit with the 5 yr plan quite well. +80%travel though.

With the lack of work I could not rationalize the $500cdn (after exchange) to get out to the DAC - Maybe next summer - Chilo wants us to go for our 50th Bday (Well our Bday's are in spring - but ya know)

A little sobering to see stick man's post above - Reminder that life is what happens while you make plans..

Here is a Public link to da faze book album (You do not need da fazebook account to use this link)

Link here..

Bunch of great pictures, Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast