Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Well - Other than tickets -

Default Re: Well - Other than tickets -

Yes, great pics.
    Thank you.

Makes me want to go "home".

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Well so much for the myth that you can fall into another job ...The 22 day point has passed and we are committed on these tickets now.

I had a good 5 weeks with my Dad and his greenhouse. Been a long time since I worked in 95F heat and 80% humidity tearing down a greenhouse. Did not miss it one bit.

The time has been used as an opportunity - Finishing a covered porch, cleaning up a lot of around the house fiddle things that needed to be finished.

So we will be there for the first 2 weeks of Nov.

Pictures to come
    Well damn I did not think I would be writing at the 6 month point (well 5 days short of it) that I was still looking.

Friend wanted a Pic, so I took one.. So here it is about 90% done..

Of the 28 of us let go, a little over half are now working at something close to what they did, but I am not one of them.

Since it is a new tax year I did manage to find sustenance "Stuff" . Best buy has me starting Feb 5 - I have (3 hr) interview #2 at Toyota (The only plant that builds Lexus cars outside of Japan I understand) and I have a good 150 applications floating about along with temp agencies and cold calls.

One cold call worked out today. Called to a Limo company 3 weeks ago, they called back today - They are looking for Wedding drivers for Saturdays - Pay seems ood - $200 for 5 hours. Interview tomorrow at 9:15

Also I am getting my basement lab all cleaned up after years sitting dormant - New Soldering iron to handel the newer Solder mix (RoHS) and I picked up a decommissioned Oscilloscope from the Mother corp 2 yrs ago which I never set up - Waterloo is a big start up town (With the University here) so I put my name to the accelerator centre as a "Joe Job" sort of fellow to do odd Techie jobs for these start up and see if that leads anywhere. I'll throw up a picture of it once it is all set up, should be Tuesday.

There was one job offer that was 75% of the pay, but 100% travel (3 weeks on @ 7 day, one week off. area was NYC to PR to LA to Seattle) . Chilo "Ain't go no time for dat" so I had to pass.

My guess it is being 4 months away from 50 and not having a BSc that is causing the delay in finding something similar..
    Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 01-22-2016 at 08:55 PM.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Keep on Fighting Young Feller, something is bound to pop up, it alway's does when ya least expect it.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Well, as some of you know, I gots a news jobs....

It is a place that makes software and hardware to report on the state of machine tools. CNC's, Lathes, Punch presses etc etc. In short, apparently, a 10% improvement in a machine tool's performance can actually double its profitability. The stuff(s) made by Memex ( www.memexoee.com ) is installed on the machine and in computers in the plant can tell the plant management , with up to one second granularity, can tell the plant what its instantanouus efficiency is and they can improve from there. Just finishing my 3rd week today.

It is about a one hour drive each way in Burlington Ontario.

The Expedition was killing me on gas ($22/day) so I got a High and Dry Santa Fe this week. Yet to fill the tank but it is closer to $10.

Not the same wage, not the same benefits, not the same vacation but the technology is cool and I get to load my resume with factory automation stuffs for now.

Still hoping for a July or August visit - Have to see how things pan out though..

What is gas up north?

It was down to a $1.40 here (Tucson) for a while. I actually filled my tank at $1.04 with discount points from grocery shopping at Frys (Kroger Brand).

It's pushing $2.00 now, but that seems to be a ceiling no one wants to break, even Chevron. Oddly, gas was more expensive in Phoenix.

Crude is still below $40, and like everyone else,,, >>>>> I fail to understand the spike in gas prices.

Congratulations on the new job.

Don't feel bad: I'll probably wind up working for WalMart when Shelley & I roll onto our 6 month on, 6 month off routine.
    I tried it for a month, worked as a greeter, they loved me, and I (I hate to admit this) really liked the job, the hustle, the interaction with the people.
    Good exercise, and mindless; no one complaining about a " file that doesn't run, and I needed it yesterday".

Poor Shelley comes home exhausted after her day. Number of surgeries they turn precisely equals the dinero in the pockets of the surgeons. Move quickly, anticipate every necessary screw or medication, but no mistakes.

WalMart is always looking for a few good men, they have to be with what they pay

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    What is gas up north?
    $0.90 mighty Hudson's bay Pesos per Liter ... (About 75 cents US/CDN Dollar)

About $2.70 US / US Gal...

Blog Entries

Finally got our final stamped papers yesterday. The land is officially in Maria's name free and clear.

There was some sort of property tax mixup that took 3 months and $75.

So cash actually changed hands Nov 2014, Title received signed and sealed May 2016 - About what I expected. Now to get the 2nd and 3rd off to college.

Blog Entries

... I'll probably wind up working for WalMart . . .
    I tried it for a month, worked as a greeter, they loved me, and I (I hate to admit this) really liked the job, the hustle, the interaction with the people.
    Good exercise, and mindless; . . .
    A WalMart greeter! The ultimate transcendental job of the new millennium. A kind of secular priest of capitalism without the sermons. Priming the flock with happy vibes as they enter the temple of guaranteed low prices. You're my hero Mr. Pirate.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Blog Entries

Hicksville Walmarts haven't had greeters for years, but do have rent-a-cops near the doors.

Blog Entries

Hey, my cousin lives there in Hicksville. A retired Navy grunt. On turning 80 he told me, "If I knew I was going to live so long, I'd have taken better care of myself." He's a 300+ pounder.

Not entirely unrelated: Sorry to see Jackson leave the 20. But since the ATMs only give 20s for dollars, I look forward to Nicas reaction to Harriet Tubman as our first 'gringa' to grace a sawbuck. It's a brave, new America.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Blog Entries

There is an ad for a greeter up here in our local Wally World..

Greeter..

Probably would be $11.25 (min wage) - $12.50

Wonder if there is a SJDS Wally World maybe I could apply as the Gringo Greeter...

Blog Entries

Ha - Finally - The family friend (Alex) who was spotted $50 and a full suit of tools, was video taped today by my BIL hacking down the jungle our lot has become - Too bad he did not realize that if he would have done it in 2 smaller hits in 2015 (We bought and assigned the tools to my SIL, across the street from where Alex works) he would not be struggling like the video shows. Oh well - Next payment will be after the work is done.

Ha - Finally - The family friend (Alex) who was spotted $50 and a full suit of tools, was video taped today by my BIL hacking down the jungle our lot has become - Too bad he did not realize that if he would have done it in 2 smaller hits in 2015 (We bought and assigned the tools to my SIL, across the street from where Alex works) he would not be struggling like the video shows. Oh well - Next payment will be after the work is done.

Don't know what it is, never pay before the work is done.
    It's almost like a point of honor for a Nica to NOT do the job if he's already been paid for it.

Some mental block, or possibly the rational,, NOBODY pays until the job is done, so if I've been paid, I MUST have done the job.
    I just don't doing remember it.

AND, I'm for sure not going to do the same job twice for the same money!!

Blog Entries

A....efffing ...men!

And ..."You can lie to a Gringo and still go to Heaven"
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Kinda like Nica housekeeping. Trash is thrown on the floor. They were told to sweep the floor, so therefore everything on the floor is trash. If they didn't throw away everything on the floor they would not be doing their job.
    Fortunately, most of what they threw away is on the ground right outside the door, so if anything of value was thrown away by accident you know where to find it.

Don't know what it is, never pay before the work is done.
    It's almost like a point of honor for a Nica to NOT do the job if he's already been paid for it.

Some mental block, or possibly the rational,, NOBODY pays until the job is done, so if I've been paid, I MUST have done the job.
    I just don't doing remember it.

AND, I'm for sure not going to do the same job twice for the same money!!

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Blog Entries

My wife has a soft heart.

Alex's mother recently passed and the remaining siblings have kicked him out of the house as he believes the house was bequeathed to him - He's taken it hard, getting juiced to the gills almost every and entire weekend.

It was as much charity as an extra job - He is a good kid (well not really kid, I think he is 35)

He has a sweet heart on the street where he works who is of similar age, still a spinster, and a little slow, but they make a nice couple - Unfortunately the mother of the girl hates Alex compounding his sorrow....

So I see your point and follow it 99% of the time - But like most things in country - "Its complicated"

Blog Entries

Deja View all over again

I got an offer from my old job - Same pay, one week less vay-cay (3 weeks) and start on May 15 if the paper mill keeps turning by my return Friday.

Interesting times indeed.

Well, as some of you know, I gots a news jobs....

It is a place that makes software and hardware to report on the state of machine tools. CNC's, Lathes, Punch presses etc etc. In short, apparently, a 10% improvement in a machine tool's performance can actually double its profitability. The stuff(s) made by Memex ( www.memexoee.com ) is installed on the machine and in computers in the plant can tell the plant management , with up to one second granularity, can tell the plant what its instantanouus efficiency is and they can improve from there. Just finishing my 3rd week today.

It is about a one hour drive each way in Burlington Ontario.

The Expedition was killing me on gas ($22/day) so I got a High and Dry Santa Fe this week. Yet to fill the tank but it is closer to $10.

Not the same wage, not the same benefits, not the same vacation but the technology is cool and I get to load my resume with factory automation stuffs for now.

Still hoping for a July or August visit - Have to see how things pan out though..

That's kind of messed up. Could you negotiate for a better return?

Blog Entries

Yeah....seems like you ought to get credit for "time served"......or did they already pay you off?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kwah2249 View Post
    That's kind of messed up. Could you negotiate for a better return?

Remember Canada is a communist paradise - What I got was more than fair and even with the interruption I am far ahead.

Current job is a 40% haircut from what I made before, with a 2 hour commute - I'll take my old pay..

As I always said "Work sucks but I need the Bucks"

Blog Entries

So passed one month of the New, Old Bill at the mother corp

Hip deep in what I did from 2006 to 2013 - One trip to Quebec (2 days) and a week in Japan (Deep bows) - So far it looks like they feel bad they let me go - <Sniff>

Time will tell - This run is all business, no sentimentality here...

$1500 was sent down for the plot to dig and cement the septic - Digging starts in 2nd week of July.

Might as well go big ......

"Mr. Bill - Septic - Party of 12? This way please.... "

So passed one month of the New, Old Bill at the mother corp

Hip deep in what I did from 2006 to 2013 - One trip to Quebec (2 days) and a week in Japan (Deep bows) - So far it looks like they feel bad they let me go - <Sniff>

Time will tell - This run is all business, no sentimentality here...

$1500 was sent down for the plot to dig and cement the septic - Digging starts in 2nd week of July.

Might as well go big ......

"Mr. Bill - Septic - Party of 12? This way please.... "

I don't think that there is such a thing as TOO big a septic tank.
    And with the paper thin and economical sanitario pipe they use to tie it all together might as well go 4" for the toilet, and 2" for everything else.

Flush the TP. Live like a white man.

With no well close by (city water, right?),, I would fill the bottom with piedrin or better,, crushed rock, and use that for my leach field. No concrete, just a dirt floor with the rock or gravel on top.

Dump in a box of Ridd-X once a year to maintain the necessary environment and the thing will never need service.

The sewer lift station that serves our neighborhood is still not in after 9 years. That's why God invented rivers. The solution to pollution is dilution!

Blog Entries

It's good enough for fish, why not us?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast