Thread: A Moment In A Day...

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Default A Moment In A Day...

So, got a FB message from a friend, he'll meet me at Alhambra Hotel at 15 after. I show up at 5 after 'cause I still do that, even after 12 years in country. I'm watching the local life, and see a young boy come up to the hotel with reeds under his arm. The Maitre'D shoos him away from customers, and the boy is irate. Tense words ensue, the boys walks my way, tears in his eyes, cussin' in Spanish like a sailor. I briefly felt sorry for the red face and the tears, but the words didn't match the emotions.

Still waitin' for my friend at 15 till, and I see the boy again. He's on the other side of the street with a rock in his hand, face still red. The Maitre'D is now helpin' hotel guests to find a taxi. Expensive cars all around. Oh, this is not gonna go well! I walk over to the Maitre'D, makin' eye contact with the boy the whole way. His hand drops, but he so wants to lash out. I put my hand on the Maitre'Ds shoulder and say "mira al hijo, tiene roca en el mano". He gets the clients in a taxi, and pulls out his phone to call the cops. The boy is now screamin' nasty words across the street, and folks in the park are lookin' around. I back off, 'cause who knows where that rock is goin'...

A local man watchin' a car talks to me about how the boy feels pressure from this hard life, "entiendo" I reply, "donde es los padres?" That gets me a shrug and he turns away.
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Default Re: A Moment In A Day...

Probably has POS parents. Can only hope he figures things out before he winds up in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by catahoula fan View Post
    So, got a FB message from a friend, he'll meet me at Alhambra Hotel at 15 after. I show up at 5 after 'cause I still do that, even after 12 years in country. I'm watching the local life, and see a young boy come up to the hotel with reeds under his arm. The Maitre'D shoos him away from customers, and the boy is irate. Tense words ensue, the boys walks my way, tears in his eyes, cussin' in Spanish like a sailor. I briefly felt sorry for the red face and the tears, but the words didn't match the emotions.

Still waitin' for my friend at 15 till, and I see the boy again. He's on the other side of the street with a rock in his hand, face still red. The Maitre'D is now helpin' hotel guests to find a taxi. Expensive cars all around. Oh, this is not gonna go well! I walk over to the Maitre'D, makin' eye contact with the boy the whole way. His hand drops, but he so wants to lash out. I put my hand on the Maitre'Ds shoulder and say "mira al hijo, tiene roca en el mano". He gets the clients in a taxi, and pulls out his phone to call the cops. The boy is now screamin' nasty words across the street, and folks in the park are lookin' around. I back off, 'cause who knows where that rock is goin'...

A local man watchin' a car talks to me about how the boy feels pressure from this hard life, "entiendo" I reply, "donde es los padres?" That gets me a shrug and he turns away.

It's only going to get worse. "Give me a dollar" is the chant from small bands of urchins at major MGA intersections.
    Glue and guaro in Granada fuels it, displays of conspicuous consumption on the Calzada creates resentment, and the politics of the country create an entitlement mentality.

Ever increasing crops of babies with diminishing opportunities.
    Increasing repression as DO and La Chamuka attempt to maintain control of their Hacienda (that just happens to be named Nicaragua).

The canal might have been the relief valve, but I don't think that it's going to happen.
    The increased repression, like the massacre two weeks ago, the environmental ramifications, and the lack of any demonstrated ROI will scare off all but the rogues.
    Iran will have a pot full of money shortly, thanks to BHO, so they may well be the new investor.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    It's only going to get worse. "Give me a dollar" is the chant from small bands of urchins at major MGA intersections.
    Glue and guaro in Granada fuels it, displays of conspicuous consumption on the Calzada creates resentment, and the politics of the country create an entitlement mentality.

Ever increasing crops of babies with diminishing opportunities.
    Increasing repression as DO and La Chamuka attempt to maintain control of their Hacienda (that just happens to be named Nicaragua).
    Regarding the glue, I had a doctor tell me that sniffing glue dulls hunger pangs so the sniffer is no longer hungry, but the damage to the brain and the wasting away of the body is the result of the temporary relief from the hunger.

Can't disagree with the entitlement mentality nor the lack of opportunities.

What is the answer to correct the situation???? Or, is a "live and let live" (or die) approach the one to adopt? Am I my brother's keeper???
    "Find out what it is in life that you don't do well - and then don't do that thing." -The most Interesting Man in the World

Blog Entries

It used to be a peso, now it's a dollar?

TRN Luster in Chief Jimmy Carter's Avatar
    the happy home, with trees and flowers and chirping birds and basket weavers who sit and smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    It used to be a peso, now it's a dollar?
    Circa 2006 there was an "old lady" using a walker to get around the main square in Granada -- her only English was to stick her fat hand out and say "one dollar please". Coconut telegraph says she's now at "five dollars please"...

Quote Originally Posted by StickMan View Post
    What is the answer to correct the situation???? Or, is a "live and let live" (or die) approach the one to adopt? Am I my brother's keeper???
    If anyone knew the answer to that, we wouldn't have this conversation, right? Seriously tho, while I have a lot of admiration for the "do-gooders" who come to NicaLandia to give aid and comfort to the less fortunate (totally unfortunate?), it doesn't seem like much difference has been made. There are even some really good NGOs -- http://www.la-esperanza-granada.org/ is one such group, but, again, the problems seem much more endemic than even "do-gooders" can solve.

It is why the "trees of Life" in MGA tick me off soooooo much -- how many sacks of rice/beans/corn could each tree buy? How many months (years?) of a teacher's salary would be covered by the cost of just one tree?

Same goes for all the giant billboards of Presidente-por-Vida and La Chamuka -- how much $$$ pissed away to promote the cult of personality of people who, deep down, really care nothing for The People???

ok... basta YA!

/soapbox /rant
    I've looked on many women with lust. I've committed adultery in my heart many times. Maybe if I had gotten laid, I wouldn't be such a nincompoop?

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It pisses me off a parent teaching a child to beg..

Just the other day, quite early in the AM I was on my morning walkabout here on the outskirts of town and a child not even 4 years old yet roaming about. Now houses here are about 1/8th of a mile most of the time in distance. This is not in Town.

This kid walks up to me with his hand out and say's "Gimme one Buck" here it means one cordoba..

I asked him What do you want? He replied Lah Lah (Money in Miskito) holding his hand out. I said your moma teach you this?

Yes was the reply... I said go tell yo moma this gringo wants to kick her ass...

Later that day in town right in the middle of the Miskito market I had stopped to have my shoes sewn by the cobbler shop in it.

Was sitting there and a boy of 7 came at me with his hand out a begging.

I said boy why ain't you in school? I don't go to school was his reply.

I said yo moma sent you out here in the market to beg?

No my aunt does.

I got to looking at my shoes and thought, I have not seen a single kid shining shoes in this town in a while, my shoes sorely did need it.

I said I am gone give you a start, I went and bought brown and black shoe polish, two brushes and some rags and told him scrap you up a box, you are just as capable of offering a service as I did at your age.

Now listen to me closely, you see a pair of shoes on someone that need cleaning up, you look them right in the eye, Make eye contact and say "Sir/Mam, can I clean those shoes up for you?

IF their response is no, you tell them, hey I am just learning, I will do it for free...

My father taught me that and ya know what? it was only the hard hearted Basturd would turn a boy down or let him do it and not give something for the service.

I hope he does not turn into a Welly Pega (Glue sniffer), but they do need a point in the right direction.
    Last edited by Just Plain John Wayne; 07-27-2015 at 06:56 PM.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    It pisses me off a parent teaching a child to beg..

Just the other day, quite early in the AM I was on my morning walkabout here on the outskirts of town and a child not even 4 years old yet roaming about. Now houses here are about 1/8th of a mile most of the time in distance. This is not in Town.

This kid walks up to me with his hand out and say's "Gimme one Buck" here it means one cordoba..

I asked him What do you want? He replied Lah Lah (Money in Miskito) holding his hand out. I said your moma teach you this?

Yes was the reply... I said go tell yo moma this gringo wants to kick her ass...

Later that day in town right in the middle of the Miskito market I had stopped to have my shoes sewn by the cobbler shop in it.

Was sitting there and a boy of 7 came at me with his hand out a begging.

I said boy why ain't you in school? I don't go to school was his reply.

I said yo moma sent you out here in the market to beg?

No my aunt does.

I got to looking at my shoes and thought, I have not seen a single kid shining shoes in this town in a while, my shoes sorely did need it.

I said I am gone give you a start, I went and bought brown and black shoe polish, two brushes and some rags and told him scrap you up a box, you are just as capable of offering a service as I did at your age.

Now listen to me closely, you see a pair of shoes on someone that need cleaning up, you look them right in the eye, Make eye contact and say "Sir/Mam, can I clean those shoes up for you?

IF their response is no, you tell them, hey I am just learning, I will do it for free...

My father taught me that and ya know what in was only the hard hearted Basturd would turn a boy down or let him do it and not give something for the service.

I hope he does not turn into a Welly Pega (Glue sniffer), but they do need a point in the right direction.

If you pull this off there is a special place in heaven for you.
    Just one kid, and this is the age you have to catch them. There is still a spark of hope left.
    Shining shoes is not something he has to do his entire life. But he learns the basics of a business, getting along with people, salesmanship.

He doesn't learn that holding his hand out.

It's not NIcaragua,,, here in Tucson every well traveled corner has a young fit person holding a sign,, "Homeless, Every Little Bit Helps. Vote For Obama".
    I made that last part up.

These are people who don't have the excuses the Nicaraguans might have.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am certainly gone keep my eye's on the kid and see how I can prod him along...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...