Thread: From "China in Ten Words"

Blog Entries

Default From "China in Ten Words"

Very interesting book by Yu Hua, where he uses ten words to describe China from the Mao era to today.

Word number ten is "bamboozle."
    There is really no end to those stories of fraud and chicanery, for "bamboozle" has already insinuated itself into every aspect of our lives. If a foreign leader visits China, people will say he's "come to bamboozle," and if a Chinese leader travels abroad, people will say he's "gone to bamboozle those foreigners." When a businessman heads out to negotiate a deal, he'll say he's "off to bamboozle," and when a professor goes to deliver a lecture, he'll say the same thing.

- Hua, Yu, China in Ten Words, Pantheon Books, 2011

It's basically a form of bluffing, on a grand scale. Say, 80 million yuan for the highest bid on a prime TV commercial spot, bid by a nobody with no money at all. He went back home to beg the bank to lend him the money, and they did it because the notoriety of being the high bidder was worth more than he'd get from the advertisement itself.

So the Grand Canal may be a giant bamboozle. But that doesn't prove it won't happen, it's just the bold Chinese way of using four ounces of force to move four tons of rock. In the chaos of China's post-revolutionary economic/social mismatch, where a feudal superstitious culture doesn't quite know what to do with it's new-found money and has had all sense of capitalist risk management beaten out of them by three generations under Maoist rule, they seem to be making things up as they go along.

Default Re: From "China in Ten Words"

Another well-balanced analysis of the canal:

http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/a...-in-nicaragua/

IMHO it's always been about the ROI,, and that has never been demonstrated. It MIGHT be a great public works project (depending on to whom the jobs go), but it's unlikely it will ever pay back its investment.
    Nicaragua COULD be left with an unprofitable ditch, AND a $50 billion debt to pay back. CAN the canal earn enough to maintain itself, and service the debt? That has yet to be shown.

There are subtle balance of power issues: China could expect a greater US interest in the South China Sea if they were to build in Nicaragua simply to acquire a CA footprint.
    Does China really want a CA footprint? Nicaragua is not Africa, or even Brazil, with the vast mineral and timber wealth available. There is little left in Nicaragua to exploit.

That "footprint" would be something one would expect of Russia,,, or Iran (nuke tipped ICBMs in Nicaragua could arrive in the US quickly). Russia is losing Cuba, slowly.
    They need something in the Carribean.

Chinese brought over to work on the canal will quickly move into the Nicaraguan economy, displacing small Nicaragua business owners, such as pulperias and ferreterias.

It WILL be an environmental disaster, but when has that ever stopped a project of this size?

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Funny, from what I read the US managers of the panama canal wanted to hire chinese labor which worked so well on the railroads of the west ,but panama objected because the chinese would hang around and out-compete them. So they settled for west indians! sharp traders, them Panamanians.

Read a book before I came down, can't remember the name, that said in the modern era only dictatorships can do great deeds like the 3 gorges dam because only they can squash all the pesky stakeholders.

the canal will be an environmental disaster, like $1200 gold, shale oil, and a zillion others. Let the games begin.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

I have great admiration for the Chinese and their civilization. I posted about the Chinese running all the small "pulperia" type stores in Costa Rica.
    They are survivors, must have a gene for it.

This is not an issue for Costa Rica, the Ticos don't want that work, they have plenty of opportunity,, but it will affect Nicaragua adversely.
    Nicas are not stupid, they know what is coming. The ensuing racial conflict will just give DO et al one more card to play.

The Chinese somehow made a transition from a Marxist dictatorship to a dictatorship of savage capitalism.
    They may have a better sense of history than we do.

Even if we have another democrat leading the US year after next, we won't have the feckless, disoriented, leadership we suffer under now.
    We paid our dues with BHO, it's time to move on. The world has been passing us by.

TRN Luster in Chief Jimmy Carter's Avatar
    the happy home, with trees and flowers and chirping birds and basket weavers who sit and smile

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    I have great admiration for the Chinese and their civilization. I posted about the Chinese running all the small "pulperia" type stores in Costa Rica.
    They are survivors, must have a gene for it.
    While there have been Chinese pulperias in CR for at least the last 12+ years, the number has grown significantly.

When Oscar Arias, he of Nobel Peace prize fame for actually bringing about peace, cast out the Taiwanese for some shiny coins from the PRC, the number (and quality) of chinos increased dramatically. Part of the shiny coins included a new national stadium -- but the agreement called for ~10k Chinese workers, all granted permanent residence status without so much as a fingerprint, medical report, etc. The agreement also included a huge amount of building materials that only China would supply. Many of the "old chinos" used this to open import companies for construction materials as well as transportation companies that only existed to drag containers of who-knows-what-all from port to the stadium construction site.

While I do not remember all the details (and many [most?] were never made public), the net result was that the chino population exploded not only in number but in wealth. The last three new BMWs I have seen were driven by chinos!

Perhaps the "best" result of the whole (unseemly to me) sucking up to Peking: much better Chinese food!
    I've looked on many women with lust. I've committed adultery in my heart many times. Maybe if I had gotten laid, I wouldn't be such a nincompoop?

Blog Entries

If you were a Chinese citizen and had the opportunity to escape and live free in CR the rest of your life, wouldn't you do it without a whole lot of shiny coins?

I guess it's not "Imperialism" or "Savage Capitalism" when China does it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Carter View Post
    ... Oscar Arias, of Nobel Peace prize fame, cast out the Taiwanese for some shiny coins from the PRC, ...
    IMO Ticos & Arias majorly sold out when they refused to admit the Dalai Lama to CR - at the insistence of the Chinese.

Let us not forget that mostly Chinese labor built 'half' the US transcontinental railroad (from the Left coast; the starving Irish built from the other side) after the Civil War. Fortunes were made by the moneyed "captains of industry" that rode largely on gov-mint bankrolls and the backs of the unfortunates. Thus it has ever been.

What bugs me most about China today is the apparent 'racial' purity of the Han culture. To me it smacks of Nazi-ism. The Chinese are intelligent, humble people, but with altogether too wide a subservient streak. The French compare them to ants.

Bamboozled? Who on Earth hasn't been, one time or another? Remember P.T. Barnum's observation.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.