Thread: Fine Islander Died

Blog Entries

Default Fine Islander Died

Tomorrow morning I have to get a boat to get to a taxi to get to a plane to get a taxi and go see a 95 year old Woman. Her son Died unexpectantly yesterday.

The Woman and her Son were some of the first people I met 10 years ago and have been great friends through the years.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Active TRN Member

Default Re: Fine Islander Died

A sad day indeed. There are only a handful of Islanders who I consider real friends and Hershel "Lib" Downs was one of those people. Initially we bonded because we shared experiences outside of the island. Lib worked on a cruise ship in his younger days and traveled abroad often. He easily slipped out of creolle into perfect english and was eager to to take me (and Merle) under his wing when we first arrived so many years ago. "Watch out for that one" or "Ask me before you before you make a decision" were often echoed by Lib, and his advice was always genuine and without self-interest; an uncommon trait which forged our close friendship. We became close friends along with a handful of other Islanders and (then) the few of us from "off-island." I felt at home at Lib's house which he shared with his mother, Myrts. Lib adored his mother who is one of the biggest characters on Corn Island. I could never "sneak" onto the island without Myrts knowing I had arrived. She knew everyone who passed in a taxi by her house! After I had moved off-island, and I returned to visit, I knew I had to make an appearance at the house within 48 hours... or else! Many evenings were spent with Lib and Kevin and Marvin and Cordel. Some of those evenings were epic! Or, at Fisher's Cave, with Wilford and Clevito... I could always find Lib there and there was no way he would let me sit alone. Ever. Lib was proud of his children, who are accomplished professionals (including a commercial pilot), loved his wife, Reina, who lived in Honduras but visited often and loved his Island, Corn Island. I understand that Lib went to "bathe in the sea" with his son who was visiting, and died (perhaps a heart attack). He lived a great life and will be missed. Corn Island lost a great man and we lost a great friend.
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable

Blog Entries

A touching tribute. I am sorry for your collective loss.
    "Find out what it is in life that you don't do well - and then don't do that thing." -The most Interesting Man in the World

Blog Entries

Yesterday I was talking to a friend on Bluff. He had been in Bluefields earlier in the day when he returned he was telling me of news he had heard there. An Islander, a friend to everyone, called everyone he met Cuz, had died. He never met Lib but I had been telling him about Lib so he knew immediately who the person was talking about.

The Funeral was scheduled for tomorrow but conditions require it be sooner, time keeps changing (2pm is the standard Funeral time there), last call I got was saying possibly Noon, few minutes from now. I am in transit, still 3 hours away (it is just right over there). Hell, I may still end up being early, it is Corn Island after all.

Fortunately his Wife and 1 Son were on the Island visiting, the other Son reached this morning I believe, Family from the States made it late yesterday and this morning so it is Go Time, some things you can´t wait on....

Every Single Person I know on the Island is a Friend of Lib, going to be a huge Funeral.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

The Funeral was scheduled for tomorrow but conditions require it be sooner, time keeps changing

Not to be irreverent, I appreciate the loss, you've had more than your share.

But, it reminds me of a classic line from Cap'n Ron

"We took the liberty of burying your friend. Found a fine spot overlooking the ocean"

Thank you, thank you so much.

"No need to thank me, we had to.
    We have no refrigeration on Pomme de Terre"

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Salute to ya'lls friend, I wish I could have known him. That type of person you and Marlies has described is far and few in this world.. Rest in Peace Sir....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

·3 Grueling days of travel to go 50 miles each way. Missed the Funeral but everyone knew I tried. Most of the way between Bluefields and Corn Island you can talk on the phone in the plane and mine was banging. I was about 5 minutes from landing when they were finishing. All the airport staff was awaiting and they moved me, taxi waiting, still too late...

Made my way to see his Mother to pass on the many condolences and greetings I was carrying. Calls were coming in from all over the Western Caribbean, every Captain and Crew knew LIb.

Got to see many friends Thursday but I was spent, wanted to go sleep in my bed. Arrangement were made for a Friday Morning meet up . Friday I spent 5 hours drinking beer, swapping stories, and sitting 20 feet from the Caribbean. Unlikely the people there Friday can ever be assembled again, and many of the stories swapped were about friends that can certainly never be assembled again.

Was a great Day to be an Islander.
    Ernie K Doe

TRN Luster in Chief Jimmy Carter's Avatar
    the happy home, with trees and flowers and chirping birds and basket weavers who sit and smile

Sometimes, just sometimes, it is good to go home again...

I've looked on many women with lust. I've committed adultery in my heart many times. Maybe if I had gotten laid, I wouldn't be such a nincompoop?

" . . .Was a great Day to be an Islander ... "

Nice to belong