Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving a Flat Black Winnebago with 4 Dogs from Canada to Nicaragua

Default Driving a Flat Black Winnebago with 4 Dogs from Canada to Nicaragua

Am I crazy?
    Last time I flew down with 2 dogs and the paperwork was incredible.
    Now I bought a 32 foot Winnebago on some sort of manic " I gotta get outta here" moment.
    I need to live in Central America again, I need to leave Canada before another bout of minus 40, I need to bring my dogs.

Everything else is incidental.
    Anyone care to talk me out of it and just come the normal way, or at least with my pickup and a trailer?
    I don't know what came over me, it must have been the flat black paint job. I envisioned flying a Jolly Roger flag, maybe adding some flames.
    Now I imagine coming up on the Honduras border with that and the exciting vision of stopping and surfing all the great breaks down the Pacific coast dissipates only to be replaced with hours of sitting in line waiting for some vet from San Pedro Sula to come and certify my dogs or some bull of that nature.
    For all my travels throughout the region, I have only ever crossed on foot or by bicycle.

Any advice would be appreciated and no, I'm not planning on driving it to Puerto Cabezas, unless Doniston really needs a ride there.
    Last edited by Jimmy Torpedo; 08-27-2015 at 03:41 PM. Reason: syntax error

Default Re: Driving a Flat Black Winnebago with 4 Dogs from Canada to Nicaragua

You need to get in touch with Donistan, he already has a 21st century wagon train all lined up and ready to go

I'm feeling crazy enough as it is without going "full Donistan"

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hahahahahahhahah.... Going Full Donistian...... LOL....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

LOL The paperwork for the dogs is only good for 10 days , do you have a back up plan in case the black Mariah breaks down ?

Banned

TO JIMMY, I have long ago decided NOT to make "ANY SORT" of trip to"The Port"

However, I am curious. Have you read my latest post in either the CR or Panama expat exchange? Wherein I have Advertised for travel buddies "Caravan style"?

Where and approximately WHEN would you be entering Mexico? I am planing on McAllen on or after the first week of October

please PM or Email me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by doniston View Post
    TO JIMMY, I have long ago decided NOT to make "ANY SORT" of trip to"The Port"

However, I am curious. Have you read my latest post in either the CR or Panama expat exchange? Wherein I have Advertised for travel buddies "Caravan style"?

Where and approximately WHEN would you be entering Mexico? I am planing on McAllen on or after the first week of October

please PM or Email me.

Cool! ... I hope this works out for you guys.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Sounds like a movie plot in the making . . .

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This thread is shickling me titless....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Sort of a male version of Thelma and Louise? Or Butch and Sundance?

Blog Entries

With a flat black Winnebago sporting the Jolly Roger and a pick-up truck with trailer, I'm picturing a scene from Mad Max.

Just wear some football shoulder pads and a painted up hockey mask (bring that with you from Canada, eh?) that caravan would look awesome.

"Find out what it is in life that you don't do well - and then don't do that thing." -The most Interesting Man in the World

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    Sort of a male version of Thelma and Louise? Or Butch and Sundance?

Jeez...I hope not....neither one ended very well.

Quote Originally Posted by StickMan View Post
    With a flat black Winnebago sporting the Jolly Roger and a pick-up truck with trailer, I'm picturing a scene from Mad Max.

Just wear some football shoulder pads and a painted up hockey mask (bring that with you from Canada, eh?) that caravan would look awesome.

New Mad Max coming out on DVD September 1. I hardly ever go to a theatre anymore. I can buy the DVD for the price of two tickets,,, ---or less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEJnMQG9ev8

The original Mad Max has been re-mastered and is available on BluRay.

Best Max IMHO was Thunderdome with Tina Turner.

Totally Mad Max was my thoughts upon seeing the beast. Although I vote for calling it Black Moses not Black Maria (is that supposed to be like Maria the taxi in Costa Rica?). Black Moses, delivering me to the promised land (and a great Frank Zappa song). Maybe get a .50 cal on a tripod installed in Texas, that should make the border crossings go more smoothly.
    My memory of The Road Warrior is that he triumphed in the end, so we will try and emulate that scenario over driving off a cliff or a showdown with the Bolivian (or any) army.

On another note,..

Just Plain John Wayne- Buccaneer with a smoking pistol
    Little Corn Tom- Grizzled outlaw from the wild west
    Donistan- Old Man with Hat

Winner of the scariest profile picture ever goes to,....

Blog Entries

...this one. Aaron the Great

"Find out what it is in life that you don't do well - and then don't do that thing." -The most Interesting Man in the World

Actually the black Maria was Edisons first movie studio, For some reason I can't get the song Convoy out of my head Rubber Ducky.

I drove down with my dog. Loved almost every minute of it, except for the borders a great experience i would recommend others trying. But its not for everyone. Not for anyone who lets stress get to them, or gets anxious easily.

No one gave a crap about the dog except honduras who wanted 13 bucks to allow him in (among other fees they tried to come up with). We even paid extra in the states to have all the official paperwork.....not one border even looked at them. Waste of about 90 bucks in a vet fee.

Since weve been here we have driven up and down central america more times than i can count. Once you get used the noise and people rushing you at the borders, its relatively easy.

Steer clear of driving through DF and keep an eye on yur stuff at the borders. Other than that, not much for problems to speak of.

Quote Originally Posted by vinyljunkie77003 View Post
    I drove down with my dog. Loved almost every minute of it, except for the borders a great experience i would recommend others trying. But its not for everyone. Not for anyone who lets stress get to them, or gets anxious easily.

No one gave a crap about the dog except honduras who wanted 13 bucks to allow him in (among other fees they tried to come up with). We even paid extra in the states to have all the official paperwork.....not one border even looked at them. Waste of about 90 bucks in a vet fee.

Since weve been here we have driven up and down central america more times than i can count. Once you get used the noise and people rushing you at the borders, its relatively easy.

Steer clear of driving through DF and keep an eye on yur stuff at the borders. Other than that, not much for problems to speak of.

I couldn't agree more with this assessment, and wish more people would make the trip. I've done it several times, will do it again Sep 3, and it's a brand new adventure every time.
    Does get much easier.

Borders: You make your own problems if you use the tramites (helpers). This opens you up to a corruption conspiracy. Customs and immigration officials will rarely solicit bribes directly. They use the tramites, who cobble up some fake reason that requires a payment. Leave yourself plenty of time, try crossing in the mornings, avoid nights. There are lots of dodgy people in the no man's land between borders. It's a target rich environment and you are the target.

Take it slow and easy, the tramites create that anxiety purposely. Tell them "Thanks, but No Thanks".

If you have a lot of stuff, you might need a customs agent, but you can arrange that yourself as well. I've had to do that in Guatemala, El Salvador, and Honduras, but NOT THE SAME TRIP !!

Be aware that if you DO use an agent (generally around $100- $125) the clock will start ticking for your exit.
    I lost a brake vacuum belt in a truck one time in Guatemala and had to file extra paperwork because of the delay in exiting the country.
    No big deal, but you don't want to be spending big time touring the country if this is the case.

If you have typical household stuff, clothes, food, tools, and look like a tourist, you won't be bothered.
    I usually come in pretty heavily loaded. With some smiles, and a lot of dancing, I usually get through with minimal problem.
    Coming down as a couple helps a LOT.

A big box of Snickers bars (Costco) works wonders too.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Torpedo View Post
    Am I crazy?

I don't know what came over me, it must have been the flat black paint job.
    Your name would not be Jebidiah Martin would it?

Lots of people with tremclad black (some applied with rollers) on their cars in Mennonite country up here...
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by alki View Post
    You need to get in touch with Donistan, he already has a 21st century wagon train all lined up and ready to go
    I dcsided to post this here since you mentioned it (however wrongly) This is what I actually posted

:I will be "DRIVING" from McAllen Tex to Coast Rica, and later to Panama and wil be leaving "ON or after the first week in october.(timing could be later if necessary)
    I would like one or more parties to join wih me for mutual protection and convenience
    If you are interested. please contact me at 920 287-7734 or dwaldo1929@yahoo.com

Thanks, Doniston

I dcsided to post this here since you mentioned it (however wrongly) This is what I actually posted

:I will be "DRIVING" from McAllen Tex to Coast Rica, and later to Panama and wil be leaving "ON or after the first week in october.(timing could be later if necessary)
    I would like one or more parties to join wih me for mutual protection and convenience
    If you are interested. please contact me at 920 287-7734 or dwaldo1929@yahoo.com

Thanks, Doniston
    You must have me confused with someone that cares, (however wrongly) , I wouldn't recommend anyone travel with you , I fear for the locals along the way as well

Banned

You must have me confused with someone that cares, (however wrongly) , I wouldn't recommend anyone travel with you , I fear for the locals along the way as well
    I would suggest that you "DID" care or you wouldn't have taken the time to put in your two mills "however wrongly
    (Sorry, it really wasn't worth two cents,==just a bit funny)

I would suggest that you "DID" care or you wouldn't have taken the time to put in your two mills "however wrongly
    (Sorry, it really wasn't worth two cents,==just a bit funny)
    Well thats 0 for 2 for you , the care is for the people that would even consider traveling with you.

Banned

Well thats 0 for 2 for you , the care is for the people that would even consider traveling with you.
    That pf course is your opinion, just as idiotic and unfounded as your original post (basicly a lie)
    Tell me, does "ALKI" stand for alkiiholic??? You sound like ypu are drunk

Blog Entries

Doniston,

In one short post, you have called him an idiot, a liar, and a drunk.....if I am interpreting your misspelling correctly.

Do you spend a lot of time cruising the internet and spreading your vitriol among various websites?

Or perhaps, in lieu of that, you just wake up and kick your dog.

Go away to CA you sick puppy.....your hatred will eventually be your demise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast