Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1217181920212223 LastLast

Thread: S#!t people from SJDS say....

Blog Entries

Default Re: S#!t people from SJDS say....

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    Yeah, I'm gonna move 1200 miles away to a totally different land so I can watch American TV and do yoga. Aren't I cool?
    I shake my head... Look at several of the Expat FB pages when bored (and can get internet)some of the stuff you see is mind boggling.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

We came back from a pleasant day and a half in the countryside to find the internet down, our suicide shower dead, and water from Enacal on dribble mode due to some work down the road.

It took a lof of years to descend to this level, but I now spend a lot of time on the web, especially Youtube. I am amazed at how many brilliant minds there are just dying to show me how to hang and sharpen an axe! Craftsmanship up the kazoo.

And , of course, Sunday is Westerns night on cable. The good ole days when men were men and women were hard to find.
    Yesterday our new AC crapped out, have a call in to the techs. My guess? They didn't purge the lines right, we shall see. Gone are the lazy days of AZ, where you buy an ac, slap it in, and it still works fine 10 years later. Did find a 220 surge protector at Sinsa, that's nice. We now have surge protectors a/o voltage regulators on just about everything. Oh, our ups kicked the bucket about a week ago, right after a power outage, which are running about 1 a day, most of them short. Never had a ups in the US, another cost of living cheap in the tropics.

can't pooh pooh the internet completely. It is filtering into construction, people are using whatsapp to send bids, designs, and everything. Even got my exam results and conclusions from a local doctor, saving me from another appointment.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

​Poster/bumper sticker from the 1970s

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    We came back from a pleasant day and a half in the countryside to find the internet down, our suicide shower dead, and water from Enacal on dribble mode due to some work down the road.
    Ha, I had one of those days back, Electric was out, no Water, no Internet, I had been roasting in Sun for the day, just wanted to Bathe. took the lid off toilet tank and bathed from that.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

It took a lot of years to descend to this level, but I now spend a lot of time on the web, especially Youtube. I am amazed at how many brilliant minds there are just dying to show me how to hang and sharpen an axe! Craftsmanship up the kazoo.

And , of course, Sunday is Westerns night on cable. The good ole days when men were men and women were hard to find.
    Yesterday our new AC crapped out, have a call in to the techs. My guess? They didn't purge the lines right, we shall see. Gone are the lazy days of AZ, where you buy an ac, slap it in, and it still works fine 10 years later. Did find a 220 surge protector at Sinsa, that's nice. We now have surge protectors a/o voltage regulators on just about everything. Oh, our ups kicked the bucket about a week ago, right after a power outage, which are running about 1 a day, most of them short. Never had a ups in the US, another cost of living cheap in the tropics.

can't pooh pooh the internet completely. It is filtering into construction, people are using whatsapp to send bids, designs, and everything. Even got my exam results and conclusions from a local doctor, saving me from another appointment.

Yesterday our new AC crapped out, have a call in to the techs. My guess? They didn't purge the lines right, we shall see.

It it worked for some period of time after installation, and progressively got weaker, and now still functions but doesn't blow as cold as it should, then your best guess is a refrigerant leak. If they left air in the lines at install, it might have blown cool, but not as cold as it was capable of.

An inexpensive leak detector will pinpoint the leak. If this is a split unit with the condenser outside and evaporator up on a wall inside, then your next best guess is a freon leak at the evaporator. An inexpensive leak detector will pinpoint the leak.

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...+leak+detector

The condenser fittings are easily accessed and generally properly tightened. Those at the bottom of the evaporator are hard to get to. Without a set of flare wrenches they are hard to tighten properly. Box wrenches tend to round the soft brass edges of the flare fittings.

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...q=flare+wrench

If the unit is still blowing some cool, then finding the leak, fixing it, and and recharging it will do the job. Luckily, both freon and labor are cheap in Nicaragua.

If the unit is blowing warm air then you have the possibility of air having entered the circuit. In this case, the leak has to be fixed,,, and the system pumped down and recharged. Without freon in the system it can be tough to find the leak.

So, You need to find someone with a leak detector and a good vacuum pump,, and flare wrenches,, in other words, a real refrigeration tech,, so you don't repeat the scenario endlessly. Luckily both refrigerant and labor are cheap in Nicaragua. And once it's fixed right the AC units generally work forever.

Good luck!

Yeah, I'm gonna move 1200 miles away to a totally different land so I can watch American TV and do yoga. Aren't I cool?

It cuts both ways.
    I really miss my burro BHO (we call him Barry). I should really give him a new name. He shouldn't have to suffer just because I think that Obama is an ass.

Barry is on the left . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Got the story from the relative who was watching the house for us. He was taking a shower when the lights went out and the heater never came back to life. This has happened before. Resitencia fried right where it connects to the hot prong. Was a little hard to see, they usually fry somewhere obvious along the heating coil.
    I keep a spare on hand so it is a quick fix.
    I think I have to rig a surge protector to the shower. Doable, just run the existing wires to a new plug and plug in a standard surge protector. Now I'll have a suicide protector, kinda catchy sounding, no?

Blog Entries

As I recall, those Lorenzetti showerheads are only about U$17, but that was a few years ago. Probably more today.

As I recall, those Lorenzetti showerheads are only about U$17, but that was a few years ago. Probably more today.

Sinsa discounts them from time to time. I used to keep a spare on hand too.

The resistance coil loads up with a mineral coating that insulates the coil from the water, plus the small holes in the shower head plug up with mineral deposits. Water dribbles out instead of spraying. You can clean the head by soaking the lower part in Lime-Away, but you have to take it off,,, so why not just replace it??

It's a yearly thing - -unless you get unlucky and it fries.

Resitencias are only about 6 bucks, and there are some new ones out that look better, like sheet metal stampings. A leatherman tool will get one changed out in no time. The mineral deposits on the defuser are bad in our location, but easy to remove with a pin or something, taking care to not enlarge the size of the holes. All of this is done without unconnecting the wires and unscrewing the fixture.

Not directly related to Nicaragua, but I couldn't help but think the gallery on this thread would appreciate this deal. I just recently saw this and it was some much needed humor after the Ag's crapped the bed in spectacular fashion against UCLA.

hmmm, funny you should mention, 3 of us trying to chase a kitten out of the yard yesterday. Eventually we regrouped by opening a gate and going away.
    I was afraid the little savage was going to attack my 4 dogs.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

On a more informative note - T D now has to decide to S#!t or get off the pot..

Ok, I will add my experience today to the ever growing saga of border runs. They made me get a copy of my passport (not late) at the re entry point in the run. They quizzed me for 15 minutes or so about what I was doing here, took my local phn # and my landlords name &#. After much deliberation out of my sight they pronounced that I would not be allowed back into Nicaragua another time. Basically get your residency or leave. I took 3 newbies through with me today and I was the one that held up the group. In fact if it were not for E O's help and her Spanish skills I might still be in Costa Rica.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Resitencias are only about 6 bucks, and there are some new ones out that look better, like sheet metal stampings. A leatherman tool will get one changed out in no time. The mineral deposits on the defuser are bad in our location, but easy to remove with a pin or something, taking care to not enlarge the size of the holes. All of this is done without unconnecting the wires and unscrewing the fixture.
    Limeway will remove the deposits that block the small holes in the shower. I suspect that vinegar would work too. Remember that there is a restrictor in the works too, where the water enters the head. If your pressure is high you need the restrictor or the water won't heat sufficiently. Everybody makes fun of those things but unless you build from scratch,, putting in another hot water line especially in masonry construction is a PIA. New construction >>>>>>> costs almost nothing extra to put in an extra tubo. Now to get the Nicas to put the hot on the left side,,, that's another story. This country still drives a strong man to drink

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    On a more informative note - T D now has to decide to S#!t or get off the pot.. Ok, I will add my experience today to the ever growing saga of border runs. They made me get a copy of my passport (not late) at the re entry point in the run. They quizzed me for 15 minutes or so about what I was doing here, took my local phn # and my landlords name &#. After much deliberation out of my sight they pronounced that I would not be allowed back into Nicaragua another time. Basically get your residency or leave. I took 3 newbies through with me today and I was the one that held up the group. In fact if it were not for E O's help and her Spanish skills I might still be in Costa Rica.
    They seem to come and go with this, and it depends on who you get, the time of day,, whether you tell them "No necesito cambio" when you hand them your greenbacks. So a $5 going out, and $15 coming back in instead of $2 and $14. Damn I miss NIcaragua. The Last Frontier. I've never heard of anyone NOT getting in. I think that they enjoy jerking the Gringos.

I figured our mexican/los angeles plumbing years ago-- C is for caliente and H is for helado

so ,back to the chinese fire drill. This morning I discovered the kitty in the shed, and none too friendly. I opened both portones, and chased the cat out of the shed. Dumb cat. It went straight to the garden shed and hid in the stuff. I should mention that at this time of the year the garden shed is stuffed to the rafters with whatever we don't want wet or in the sun, construction materials, 5 new bags of compost, plastic pipe, you name it. While looking thru the shed to find it, I saw our female dog barking at something behind a plastic pot. Sure enough, it was a serpiente, a handsome 3 footer.
    While calling off the dog, I failed to look to see if the black was touching the red. Anyway, it looked like a mountain king snake, an interesting species that has huge range from the Rockies to S. America. I've been thru this drill before. Anyway, it ran into another little shed, climbed up the wall, and stared at me nervously. Me, Mister Nice! Red to black and too fat to be a coral, I think. I tried to make an improvised snake stick to move it from the yard but it didn't work. I think I need to try amazon.com for a real snake stick. One time I managed to move a mountain viper to an unpopulated place down the road, but in hot weather snakes just move to quick. Resolved: I need a real snake stick; aduanas wipe that surprised look off your face! Anyway, he crawled under a cabinet, so let him take a siesta. The weather was hot and nasty today, let him slither out tonight.

So I called out reinforcements from the house for the dumbest kitty in the world. Newbies, listen up: that quaint old saying Chinese Fire Drill will have much meaning as you live in NIc.!
    Not to bore you will the play by play, a lot off running all over the yard, unkind words, and some masterful garden hose and broom work and I finally swept the damn cat out of the yard's back door. Animal rights types wound probably call it hockey like, but really it wasn't. I think by this time hypothermia was setting in and kitty was overjoyed to leave.

Kudos to our female dog. She is self taught at killing opossums in our yard and really earned her dogfood by finding the kitty every time it changed sheds and crawled behind stuff.

Shower up, play on the internet, tomorrow is another day.

I figured our mexican/los angeles plumbing years ago-- C is for caliente and H is for helado

so ,back to the chinese fire drill. This morning I discovered the kitty in the shed, and none too friendly. I opened both portones, and chased the cat out of the shed. Dumb cat. It went straight to the garden shed and hid in the stuff. I should mention that at this time of the year the garden shed is stuffed to the rafters with whatever we don't want wet or in the sun, construction materials, 5 new bags of compost, plastic pipe, you name it. While looking thru the shed to find it, I saw our female dog barking at something behind a plastic pot. Sure enough, it was a serpiente, a handsome 3 footer.
    While calling off the dog, I failed to look to see if the black was touching the red. Anyway, it looked like a mountain king snake, an interesting species that has huge range from the Rockies to S. America. I've been thru this drill before. Anyway, it ran into another little shed, climbed up the wall, and stared at me nervously. Me, Mister Nice! Red to black and too fat to be a coral, I think. I tried to make an improvised snake stick to move it from the yard but it didn't work. I think I need to try amazon.com for a real snake stick. One time I managed to move a mountain viper to an unpopulated place down the road, but in hot weather snakes just move to quick. Resolved: I need a real snake stick; aduanas wipe that surprised look off your face! Anyway, he crawled under a cabinet, so let him take a siesta. The weather was hot and nasty today, let him slither out tonight.

So I called out reinforcements from the house for the dumbest kitty in the world. Newbies, listen up: that quaint old saying Chinese Fire Drill will have much meaning as you live in NIc.!
    Not to bore you will the play by play, a lot off running all over the yard, unkind words, and some masterful garden hose and broom work and I finally swept the damn cat out of the yard's back door. Animal rights types wound probably call it hockey like, but really it wasn't. I think by this time hypothermia was setting in and kitty was overjoyed to leave.

Kudos to our female dog. She is self taught at killing opossums in our yard and really earned her dogfood by finding the kitty every time it changed sheds and crawled behind stuff.

Shower up, play on the internet, tomorrow is another day.

Well,, keep at it. Sounds like the cat is pregnant. Once she drops the kittens you will never get rid of them: "Ooooh, they are so cute" Dog's not going to like that.

This was a kitten, who knows where the mamma cat is. Maybe she went to Spain to work as a mouser. How small was this kitten? Small enough to hide in a 6 inch concrete block for hours while the dogs were looking for her. She hasn't come back, I think it was the Chinese water torture that got her.
    Momma dog thinks anything that falls in the yard is a possum. Chihuahua thinks its competition for affection. Terrior hates anything that moves, and the German shepard follows them all around trying to find out what all the excitement is about. Dogs have Chinese fire drills, too.

Anyway, we met the step daughter and grandbabies at SN at the mall for breakfast. Jalepeno panini is my standard. Then we went shopping to get materials to continue our construction project. We braved the traffic and miserable heat to go to 3 ferreterias and got about 80% of what we need.

Oh yeah, the AC guy showed up yesterday with quick 7 day service, said a nut was loose, added refrigerant and here we go again.

Shower up. play on the internet, tomorrow is a another day.

This was a kitten, who knows where the mamma cat is. Maybe she went to Spain to work as a mouser. How small was this kitten? Small enough to hide in a 6 inch concrete block for hours while the dogs were looking for her. She hasn't come back, I think it was the Chinese water torture that got her.
    Momma dog thinks anything that falls in the yard is a possum. Chihuahua thinks its competition for affection. Terrior hates anything that moves, and the German shepard follows them all around trying to find out what all the excitement is about. Dogs have Chinese fire drills, too.

Anyway, we met the step daughter and grandbabies at SN at the mall for breakfast. Jalepeno panini is my standard. Then we went shopping to get materials to continue our construction project. We braved the traffic and miserable heat to go to 3 ferreterias and got about 80% of what we need.

Oh yeah, the AC guy showed up yesterday with quick 7 day service, said a nut was loose, added refrigerant and here we go again.

Shower up. play on the internet, tomorrow is a another day.

There's a great commercial on TV right now,, squirrel going across an overhead electrical line, drops his nut onto the pavement. Runs down to get it,, cat sees him,, starts chasing him,,,dog sees cat, ditto, horse from cop who stops at hotdog stand sees then all and starts bolting down the street behind them all.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/w6Cr/volkswa...orgos-zampetas

Well, its a boleado today. My contribution to the Spanish language-- "bolo" + "feriado". Nice and quiet in the neighborhood, all the buya must be downtown. The first few years I went to all the local fiestas, but they get old. It's kinda like sitting on a barren hill in 117 degree weather watching the fireworks on fourth of July in AZ. One year I just decided I wasn't going to the Fourth of July thing again until they moved it to January.

Neighbor from mga came in to find his house had been robbed. As a vacation place it was minimally furnished, but still there are broken cabinets and stuff missing. He is going to subir the back wall and is debating a vijilante, cameras, etc. His house in mga has cameras he can monitor from his cell phone. Trouble is, with our new wall we can't see JS in his direction and the caretaker on the farm behind him was fired a month or so before for asking for a raise. He was a real asset, but the new guy is a nothing. Looks like another neighbor got his guard dog stolen. Really sad because it was a long time family pet, a big monster of a thing, half German Shepard and half Wooly Mammoth. The owner of the house with the flying ladrones came back from the states and is now living in the house with a muchacha and a handsome pitbull.

Step son is back for a while, tweeked his knee playing soccer. We have him painting the back wall today.

The soldador who was to start on our front gate and entry techo called and said he would not be here till monday because he had no work yesterday so he painted his camioneta. It's not dry enough to drive, so seeya monday.

Well, the little woman just brought lunch in. Tacos, Nica style. They are like crispy enchiladas with chopped cabbage and god-knows-what on top.

Gotta go.

I only know when it's a feria because my muchachos want to get the day off with pay.

Funerals too,, it used to be a half day for the funeral but with the guaro,, I was better off not having them around.
    The thought of paying for someone's chopped off fingers was offsetting,,, cheaper to give them the rest of the day.

Dia del Patria is what I think that they are celebrating the next couple of days.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

This one I find kind of quaint - I read it as "Tourist hotel #1 proudly announces it has bought tourist hotel #2 , who has given up"

http://delsurnewsonline.com/selina-nicaragua/
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    This one I find kind of quaint - I read it as "Tourist hotel #1 proudly announces it has bought tourist hotel #2 , who has given up"

http://delsurnewsonline.com/selina-nicaragua/

Wasn't this the the place that had the "home invasion" and rape a couple of years back?

What I celebrate is that dias parioticas is the end of National Tambor month when every skool kid is practicing on his drums.

What I celebrate is that dias parioticas is the end of National Tambor month when every skool kid is practicing on his drums.
    Ahhh .. . But you never lived up by the stadium like I did in Estelí. You don't really know drums . . . .

Taking your advice,, I scoured the neighborhood for churches before I rented. You didn't say anything about drums . .
    Indeed, a church DID open briefly in someone's home,, with a world class amplification system. Luckily, they didn't survive.

I think that is all a church needs in Nicaragua: one cross, a powerful amplifier, and enormous speakers. Oh, and maybe a bible.
    And a flair for shouting about eternal damnation . . .You sure don't have to be able to carry a tune . . .
    The Hondurans sing so beautifully. Harmonies even. What is it with the Nicaraguans?

Blog Entries

Eternal damnation? I thought churches gave up preaching about that because it scared away the congregations.

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1217181920212223 LastLast