Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2025262728293031 LastLast

Thread: S#!t people from SJDS say....

Blog Entries

Default Re: S#!t people from SJDS say....

"inutil".....great word....had to look it up!
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Every village needs an idiot.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Yes Virginia - Cash cows do die...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Gotta take care of the livestock.

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post

Pot definitely calling the kettle black . . . .

The Nicaraguan diet leaves a lot to be desired. A lot of diabetes and anemia, most of it not properly treated.

Blog Entries

So apparently the comment made by the Chief below was with respect to Donald Car - A long time resident of Granada and if I recall correctly, the original publisher of the "Nica Nuggets" which was a web page until just before the troubles when he transfered the brand to others. Those people either could not maintain it or left durring the troubles and it was revived by other writers as an irregular publication date email blast.

In reference to Quinns sports bar, I'm in there often because of the quality WiFi and sporting events. Some of the best pizza in town and the food is quite good.

Liters are 70 cords, and they are 65 at the rosti carol.

Cubetazos are 180 plus tip, the same as on the Calzada. Bathrooms always work, with a locking door and toilet paper. Not sure what there is to complain about. Especially since sitting on the Calzada is one giant harassment session.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by methionine View Post
    In reference to Quinns sports bar, I'm in there often because of the quality WiFi and sporting events. Some of the best pizza in town and the food is quite good.
    Its still available.

Its still available.
    I am quite aware. What point are you trying to make?

Most expats are old, but I'm sure its not enough rice and beans with fried plantains that is doing them in.

Funny thing about a lot of nicas, they may only have 150 cords in their pocket but will still take a taxi 10 blocks.

Blog Entries

I am quite aware. What point are you trying to make?
    Just adding an observation to your observation

Blog Entries

Funny thing about a lot of nicas, they may only have 150 cords in their pocket but will still take a taxi 10 blocks.
    Or refuse used cloths - Chilo has family that refuse to take donated clothing that does not have tags attached.

I have a hard time believing that on average an expats diet or exercise routine is significantly worse than that of the average Nica. Even though most expats, myself included, are prone to drinking a bit more than they would back home, walk into any local bar/cantina and you will see 2-3 middle aged men so drunk they fall asleep at the table.

I was in Granada to pass the new year with some friends and I stopped by Bar Isabella by the mercado to have a few beers and people watch. While many people like to big up them selves into thinking that Granada is purely "gringolandia" get off the calzada and the bars are just the same as I have seen in Matagalpa, Esteli, Masaya, etc.

It was not even 3 pm and there was already 4 men slumped in their chairs, two near fights, and of course the token "gets drunk and start expressing homosexual desires" guy.

Despite its Colonial charm, get off the main strip in the center and Granada is actually a very grimy, seedy town. In the 8 years and change here I have got to know Granada, Matagalpa, Esteli, and Jinotega with a fairly high degree of intimacy. On top of this I have traveled to just about every major place not on the Atlantic coast of this country.

I still maintain Granada is more dangerous and seedy than most places I have been in this country.

I still maintain Granada is more dangerous and seedy than most places I have been in this country.
    I agree boss, lots of bad stuff used to happen, and probably still does, in Granada. Worst experiences I had with Nica's was primarily with ones from Granada.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RGV AG View Post
    I agree boss, lots of bad stuff used to happen, and probably still does, in Granada. Worst experiences I had with Nica's was primarily with ones from Granada.
    That's where El Doc lived.

From my view point, for what ever it is worth, Granadinos have many aspects working against them. First, they do not receive the same education level as many other Nicas. There are no universities of note here, unlike in Esteli and Matagalpa, and those that do undertake post secondary education usually take something like tourism.

Most of the work is in Tourism. This city was hit hard by the political uprising, and every Granadino is just a few sentences away from naming "el crisis" as the source of all their worldy troubles. While many did lose their jobs and I am by no means disregarding that fact, I know many who I have not seen work a day in their lives tell me about the hardships of the crisis. 4 months ago I was in Esteli, the first time I had been there since things have calmed down. It was just as, if not more, booming than when I lived there 4/5 years ago. The new disco complex by the Stadium was packed, with people spending money, nicely dressed, and overall well behaved. The 'nortenos' benefit from a economy which is not nearly as reliant on the comings and goings of foreign owners of capital, and thus have more job security, and generally make more money. The cost of living is also cheaper.

Another major aspect is the Granadino mindset. Many, especially the young one's, have grown up as tourism started to take hold in their town. They got used to seeing others with money, enjoying the life style, and many eventually found themselves trying to emulate it at all costs. While some, the large minority, decided to open up businesses to capitalize on the tourism, this is simply to much work for most.

I remember watching the transformation of one young lady who worked at a local restaurant. Beautiful girl, with a body that could command any decent suitor. Eventually her humble, simple, charm gave way into what people generally call "interesada". At the height of tourism in Granada I started seeing her with a different guy every week. They would take her out, take her on weekends to the beach, but all would eventually leave. Whats the answer for a young girl who wants to continue that life style? Simple... find another man.

Being a young north american man who has, over the years, learned to speak Spanish to a point where taxi drivers often compliment it, I am no stranger to romances with local women in this country. Without going into to many details, Granada is a much easier place than somewhere like Esteli, Matagalpa, Jinotega etc. The women simply seem to have more self respect. Which, as a man gets older he starts finding more and more attractive.

I know many young men and women whose soul purpose for many years has been perfecting a certain charm (and for the men enough English) to sit and sip on Tonas with foreigners on the Calzada.

Another major tell, for me anyways, is the cleanliness of certain towns. Esteli, Matagalpa, and especially Jinotega, are surprisingly clean. Chinendega, Somoto, and even Leon are impressive compared to Granada. For a city whose very soul is dependent upon tourism, it is hard to imagine how, collectively, the city can be so dirty in the city center. Human feces, large holes on street corners, garbage piled up.

Across the street from the western union by the Merced church, there is a large pile of clothes, shoes, and other items in front of one of the colonial doorways. That same corner seems to be used as a public toilet for all types of street people.

Another major issue is, unlike in other cities, some of the worst barrios in town are located blocks away from the center. The Mercado, a UNESCO site form what I understand, is right on the door step of barrio Maldito, which is considered by anyone you ask to be the most dangerous barrio in town. The barrios around San Juan del Sur are also particularly bad (although have gotten better of the past few years). some of these are just a few blocks south of the Calzada.
    Last edited by methionine; 01-02-2020 at 03:00 PM.

".....I remember watching the transformation of one young lady who worked at a local restaurant. Beautiful girl, with a body that could command any decent suitor. Eventually her humble, simple, charm gave way into what people generally call "interesada". At the height of tourism in Granada I started seeing her with a different guy every week. They would take her out, take her on weekends to the beach, but all would eventually leave. Whats the answer for a young girl who wants to continue that life style? Simple... find another man. . ."

Did you happen to get her number? It''s not for me,, it's for CookShow

The country is definitely interesting. Something for everyone.

Yes, the north is prosperous, some Nicas making serious money from the tobacco. Numerous others finding consistent employment at C$ 200/day . It all trickles uphill, with many nice houses built in Condega in the last 5 years. It could be a lot worse. Estelí and Condega get more than their fair share of remittances too.

Lot prices in Estelí are out of sight,, I saw the typical shotgun lot across the street from a house I was renting go from $10K to $25K in two years.

I suspect that much of the tobacco money comes from investment from outside the country, the US or Europe, rather than from the production of the fine puros associated with the area. I happen to know that the fabricas were laying off workers when I left, but new and beautiful facilities continued to spring up. As long as the US economy stays strong, that money will probably still find its way. Coffee, tobacco,, there is something about these two that attracts people.

The extra money does make Estelí more attractive, and the trickle down keeps numerous fritangas in business. We have a minimal number of glue sniffers, and the number of beggars in front of La Colonia does not seem to be growing. Which is interesting,, as I parked across the street for an hour one day to watch the action,, and the beggars do reasonably well. Not as well as before when the town and store was full of Gringos,, and you rarely see gringos anymore in La Colonia,, but the shoppers are probably Gringo Pinoleros.

Blog Entries

A block or two north of the cathedral in Esteli, there was a cigar place that was always full of what looked like gringo trust fund kids. I wonder if that’s still there. And if it’s the same kids, singing, “Those were the days, my friend...”

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    That's where El Doc lived.
    Ha, Jason was good people. A true self appointed intellectual and contrarian, but very good people. I hope he is doing well and life is treating him in a good way. I surely do miss engaging him. I hung out with him several times in Granada, some of his insights formulated my opinion of the town.

Very true, all of what you relate.

I would add that historically Granada has always been the bastion of the conservative party and that mind set has always permeated the political feeling in the city. I perceived a sense of entitlement and self appointed grandeur of both natives and transplants to Granada. Lots of locals there, as you mention, decided to basically live, or try to live, the same type of life that drunken expats did while they relieve Spring Break 68'.

A lotta hangers on and parasites IMO in that town.

Very true, all of what you relate.

I would add that historically Granada has always been the bastion of the conservative party and that mind set has always permeated the political feeling in the city. I perceived a sense of entitlement and self appointed grandeur of both natives and transplants to Granada. Lots of locals there, as you mention, decided to basically live, or try to live, the same type of life that drunken expats did while they relieve Spring Break 68'.

A lotta hangers on and parasites IMO in that town.

I don't think the conservative party mindset has much to do with the average populace of Granada. The old conservative party head quarters was an old crumbling building. The only Conservative presence left were some of the old families, the ones that stopped things like strip clubs opening up on the exit out of town. But, from what I have been told, that has more to do with their religious affiliation than any political ideology.

In fact, from what I have seen, Granada was a solidly FSLN city, especially in the local neighborhoods and barrios. They enjoyed the free beans and zinc roofing.

Blog Entries

In fact, from what I have seen, Granada was a solidly FSLN city, especially in the local neighborhoods and barrios. They enjoyed the free beans and zinc roofing.
    My wife calls that "Frente Oportunistia" rather than "Frente Sandinestia" loyalties...

Blog Entries

There was Sodom & Gomorrah, and later Granada. Founded in 1524 by Córdoba, it’s the corner of Nicaragua where money doesn’t just talk, it shouts. Sacked three times (1665-1670) by pirates (based out of the Florida keys?) after more than Spanish gold. Even today, vets know to stop there on their journey toward the prime, inspected poontang of San Jose, CR. (And rumor has it there’s no better antidote to PTSD contracted in the forever war.)

Nature has endowed Granada with beauty: las isletas, Mombacho, the great Cocibolca.
    Men pollute it.

Blog Entries

And the people I can not understand are starting to offer training I wish not to understand are returning...

The New Normal....

Blog Entries

Intimate tantrums?

Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2025262728293031 LastLast