Thread: Honduras detains five Syrians heading for U.S. with stolen Greek passports: police

Blog Entries

Default Honduras detains five Syrians heading for U.S. with stolen Greek passports: police

political correctedness has run wild and the outrage police are everywhere

Default Re: Honduras detains five Syrians heading for U.S. with stolen Greek passports: polic

Will be interesting to see if any end up being linked to terrorism.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Honduras detains five Syrians heading for U.S. with stolen Greek passports: polic

An article I read said they were cleared of terrorist ties, but that doesn't mean squat. They had stolen passports, they belong in jail.

Anyone following the "Cubans" trying to head north? Somehow I doubt they're really Cuban.

There has been a pool of Cubans living in Ecuador trying to legally emigrate to the US for some time.

Mostly doctors, they probably provide a pool of resources to the Cubans who fly to Ecuador to begin the land journey north.

http://www.havanatimes.org/?p=98988

Off topic a bit, but .. . .

http://www.latimes.com/world/mexico-...911-story.html

Cubans are afraid that Obama is going to end "wet foot, dry foot", hence the current exodus and urgency.

"To prevent the escape of Cuban doctors the Cuban Ministry of Health has implemented new policies that include “suspension from the practice of the profession” of those who “left the service without authorization.” Unable to practice as doctors in Cuba, the doctors have another motivation to reach the United States."

It is understandable why Cuba wants to minimize the loss of its doctors. When I was in Cuba in 2007-08 I met a young girl, Raisa, who had just started her medical training. An eleven year journey, followed by government service in the boonies, the basis of our relationship was probably Raisa's insatiable curiosity about the practice of medicine in the US. It was clear what her plans were.

The 11 years of medical school is completely paid for by the Cuban government, complete with a living stipend. Raisa's father was a military officer (Raisa is a common Russian name), and she received preferential consideration based on his status.

When I was there, everyone in Cuba was paid equally, and everyone had a job. So, the state-paid musicians plying the streets of Havana earned the same as a Neurosurgeon. BUT, the tourists tipped them generously. Doctors made a bit on the side by accepting gifts for evaluating the urgency of an operation in exchange for a gift; best jobs were those associated with tourists,, for example, bartenders on the "Hemingway Trail" would get $1 tips for the mojitos and daiquiris they churned out. At the time, $50 /month was the Cuban wage, and of that only $12 was "convertible", read: able to use to buy anything with. Everyone I met had something going for them: when my boat ran aground off a small island on the north shore, the captain of the boat ferrying European tourists to the island pulled me off for $60.

Housing was assigned, no rent, no electricity cost. Communist party position determined your job and your housing, access to higher education for your children. There was also a monthly food ration, not much, but enough. If you saw a fat Cuban it was a sure bet he was getting transfers from family in Miami.

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    Housing was assigned, no rent, no electricity cost. Communist party position determined your job and your housing, access to higher education for your children. There was also a monthly food ration, not much, but enough.
    Well we are half way there. Wonder why they still want to emigrate?

Quote Originally Posted by kwah2249 View Post
    Well we are half way there. Wonder why they still want to emigrate?

Last edited by Mr Bossman; 11-21-2015 at 12:56 PM.
    "The More Peace and Good-will abound as we fill a jolly good pipe of tobacco." John User

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Covid was an intelligence test and we flunked.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    And we're supposed to welcome these people with open arms?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    And we're supposed to welcome these people with open arms?
    You will be fine, just make sure you are always wearing a life jacket . . . and body armor.