Thread: Zika Ramifications

Default Zika Ramifications

Been reading up on Zika recently. Good to see the WHO is involved now because it will take some money to resolve this one. If not controlled Zika could really impact a 3rd world country.

Media reports saying Honduras is telling its population to not have children for 2 years? Would you just close public schools for 2 years? In 2014 Brazil had 147 Microcephaly cases and in 2015 are estimating 4000 cases. Economically it is difficult for a family of means to support a handicapped member, would be much harder for poor family. Really the only way to prevent the spread is to quarantine. Abortion is outlawed in Nica, so what do you do if a first trimester woman is diagnosed with Zika? If a family is trying to have children and cases are reported nearby, do you just stay inside? How would you even accomplish that in the bush? The symptoms aren't that severe so how many cases might not even get reported, Costa Rica article says 80% of infected people suffer no symptoms? Could hit remote communities pretty hard and by the time its tested for the damage would be done. Porous borders have long been transmission vectors for diseases but since there are cures it doesn't hold much ground in the political argument, no cure for Microcephaly tho. Wonder what this will do to tourism, especially hitting in the middle of high season? So many questions.

The ramifications are long lasting and its hard to even consider all the what-if's. Will be interesting to see how this is resolved.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-brain-defect/

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSto...spain-36659700

http://news.co.cr/us-adds-costa-rica...rt-list/44389/

Active TRN Member

Default Re: Zika Ramifications

Apply deet, smoke a blunt and chill out.

Blog Entries

They finally got a Dengue Vaccine but I think only in Mexico. Here on the Coast we have the Chicken Gumbo, Dengue, more and more cases of Malaria, and no doubt will soon have Zika. I go through a can of OFF almost weekly, that can't be too healthy.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeh View Post
    Apply deet, smoke a blunt and chill out.

Good advice that could be applied to just about any situation.

Do we know yet WHEN the pregnant woman (or, rather the fetus),, is susceptible to the virus ?
    This will be missed if the symptoms are mild.

Ariana's son Hayner went 10 days with a fever before he turned yellow, and was finally taken to Estelí and diagnosed with Hep A.
    He was weak and badly dehydrated by that point.
    He didn't get straightened out until I got down there, found him a good doctor, got him the medicine he needed, AND a suitable diet.
    We got rid of his current parasitos infestation at the same time, but for school age kids in the campo, that's just a temporary state.
    We've done it before.
    Many schools don't have running water to wash hands; latrines instead of flush toilets, it's a struggle.

There's a clinic not far away from the farm, but their diagnostic equipment is limited to a scale I provided, two stethoscopes I provided, a digital thermometer I provided, and so on.
    They do what they can and they have a doctor right now, but as soon as his mandatory service is over he will flee for the brighter lights of a city.

There is actually a clinic right in La Lima, it was funded by some European country donor years ago, but it closed because the Nicaraguan government couldn't staff it.

My point: that free government medicine could kill you,,, and probably does frequently.

And what if they do diagnose Zika at the point it damages the fetus? And the ultrasound shows an abnormally small head?
    I'm not one of those ... " I need an abortion because my prom dress doesn't fit" ... people, but some options would be nice.

Blog Entries

Is the Zika Virus (or Something Worse) Killing Nicaragua’s Monkeys?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/zika-viru...180222966.html
    political correctedness has run wild and the outrage police are everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by ejb3 View Post
    Is the Zika Virus (or Something Worse) Killing Nicaragua’s Monkeys?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/zika-viru...180222966.html

I thought all the monkeys had moved to Costa Rica. .. . better working conditions and the Ticos don't eat them.

Zika is supposedly transmittable sexually as well, if so it will join chlamydia which is endemic in Nicaragua.
    I have to see more documentation before I believe this,, but it could explain the explosion of cases in Brazil, Colombia, and (probably) Venezuela.
    That's a lot of mosquito bites.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    I thought all the monkeys had moved to Costa Rica. .. . better working conditions and the Ticos don't eat them.

Zika is supposedly transmittable sexually as well,.
    So do we equip the monkeys with condoms or just avoid having sex with them?
    political correctedness has run wild and the outrage police are everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    Do we know yet WHEN the pregnant woman (or, rather the fetus),, is susceptible to the virus ?
    From what I've read seems the first trimester is the big concern. But they still haven't "officially" linked Zika and Microcephaly so guess we will wait and see.

Deet is pretty rough, check out the Picaridin stuff. I like the Avon Expedition, its basically unscented Skin-So-Soft with Picaridin and 30 SPF, stays on well in the water also.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kwah2249 View Post
    From what I've read seems the first trimester is the big concern. But they still haven't "officially" linked Zika and Microcephaly so guess we will wait and see.

Deet is pretty rough, check out the Picaridin stuff. I like the Avon Expedition, its basically unscented Skin-So-Soft with Picaridin and 30 SPF, stays on well in the water also.
    This sounds excellent!

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/PicaridinGen.html
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

In travel size also, think 4ozs is legal to carry on. I just buy the 8ozs. and put it in the little travel bottles.

http://www.amazon.com/Avon-Guard-IR3...von+expedition

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kwah2249 View Post
    In travel size also, think 4ozs is legal to carry on. I just buy the 8ozs. and put it in the little travel bottles.

http://www.amazon.com/Avon-Guard-IR3...von+expedition
    What goes "Step, Thump, Step, Thump, Step, Thump, Ding Dong"?

An AVON Lady with a Wooden Leg....

I couldn't resist, my late Aunt Eunice May was an AVON Lady, and I tried to hear and tell her all those jokes I could find. It tickled her they did...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Has someone tried something like this clothing repellent?

I think the Big Elf talked about this some months back . ..

You'd still have to apply the repellent of choice to exposed surfaces.

The mosquito that is the vector for the febrile diseases still bites at dusk and dawn?
    Or, has that changed?

We don't have mosquitos on the farm, but we do have some no-see-ums, and we do have ticks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    What goes "Step, Thump, Step, Thump, Step, Thump, Ding Dong"?

An AVON Lady with a Wooden Leg....
    Good one

KWP I haven't tried the Permethrin but I have a couple of bug deterrent shirts, supposed to be good for like 20 washes or something, might have that stuff on them. High content Deet also works good on cuffs and boots, will burn your skin tho. That Avon Expedition stuff will work on no-see-ums but not much else does. They can get through the regular nets so you have to find the mirco-nets or the cloth ones, both get right warm at night while sleeping under.

Quote Originally Posted by ejb3 View Post
    So do we equip the monkeys with condoms or just avoid having sex with them?

Well, from what I understand, you can still kiss the monkeys, but have to avoid what they describe as "insertive".

Good to know that the government is still watching out for us:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/858501?nlid=99546_3901&src=wnl_newsalrt_160205_MSC PEDIT&uac=122026BV&impID=982302&faf=1

It turns out I may have been wrong about the monkey kissing part:

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/hea...r-kisses-amid/

So, please DO NOT kiss any monkeys until we resolve this issue.
    Last edited by KeyWestPirate; 02-06-2016 at 07:49 PM.

Hey, I`m the Big Leprecaun, not the Big Elf!
    No reason to expect modern medicine won`t find a cure for zika in the next 50 years. Viruses are tough to fix. It is spread by the same zancudo like the rest, but I sometimes wonder if the zancudos know what time of day it is in urban areas with all the lights.
    i`ve used the spray on product by Sawyer, have no idea if it works and it is only good for 6-8 washings. Insect Shield is good for 25 to 70 washings, depending on the mfd`s claims. I think it works on flying insects but no use whatsoever on guerrero ants crawling up you legs. Keep in mind, if you wear a shirt once a week, it will be ineffective in 6 months to 1.5 years, even if the shirt hasn`t fallen apart. Also be advised it does not protect bare skin right next to it, so deet up or dress like a muslim tent lady.
    Best bet, don`t get pregnant. Other than that, wear clothes and apply deet or whatever. In the campo, our only zancudos are in the pit of the outhouse. I spray it with baygon before I plant myself.
    My stepson had dengue twice, we think he got it at the mudhole skool because nobody else in the house got it. This year 2 or 3 neighbors have had dengue and 2 have had CG, but again, we think they caught it at work. We are inundated by another species of zancudo that doesn`t carry the disease, but try to kill them off just because.

Minsa wanders thru and whines about the little puddle of mud by the garden hose, but of course has no authority over the septic lake Esteli maintains a few hundred yards from us.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

​Poster/bumper sticker from the 1970s

Hey, I`m the Big Leprecaun, not the Big Elf!

I know, I know,,, but I could have called you the big troll.
    Just jerking your chain

But, we have a solution: Nicaragua and Russia are going to work jointly on a vaccine. we should have it right after the satellite, the Bolivarian refinery in Leon, Monkey Point, Brito, and, of course,, the canal.

They announced it a day or two ago.

http://sputniknews.com/latam/2016021...ine-fever.html

Work will commence soon at HiTech Sandi Labs in MGA (not to be confused with Sandia Labs in New Mexico), and expect weekly updates from the Chamuka during her regularly scheduled radio broadcast.

I bought a big bottle of the Sawyers. I'll look for the Insect Shield.
    I've always thought dryer sheets like bounce might be the solution.
    Clothes would be treated every time they come out of the dryer. May not want to dry your undies and socks in the same load, but I think the concept is sound.

Short term solution for pregnant women in Nicaragua,, always happy to help my adopted country:

Attached Images Attached Images